Vandermark Five - Alchemia

It's here! ...and it's a beaut!

(plus the 2 CD comp and a Polish movie DVD as a late apology).

Yup, this is definitely getting the daylong rodcast treatment here in about an hour!

purrrrrrrrrrrty thang it 'tis!

---

Now playing: John Patton - Let 'Em Roll

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The label is now selling sets on eBay for the $129.99 + a penny shipping.

Their picture is just a little bit misleading - but only a bit.

There are the three placard-like holders for the 12 CDs,

but the other three in the picture without CDs are there

to show you what they look like without the CDs.

In other words: you don't get six placards inside the box. ;)

Very pretty design tho...

• 1 month later...

Well, I had to bite and went the ebay route. My set showed up yesterday, just three days after I hit the "buy it now" button (and that was late at night, when resistance is low! ;) ). Package is nice, and so far, music is great!

I like the idea of a "one week snapshot". In this era of one night stands, you don't have the opportunity to hear an extended period of music like this anymore. Cool stuff! :tup

Damn,

That thing looks great!  I'm going to have to order this next week.

Rostasi, are there any dates that are particularly good, or is the set pretty consistent throughout?

Cheers,

Shane

I'm sorry Shane, I just saw this question of yours after Mark's posting today.

Not sure if you've already picked it up, but

I think that it's more consistent throughout the week of shows. Of course, there are

same songs different nights and one could like one version over another, but it

would be a real pick-and-choose kinda thing to put together a separate, let's say, 4 disc set.

I'm still happy with this set!

Rod

Just in case anybody's on the bubble on this thing, while I've only listened to the first five discs, I most definitely reccomend it!  :tup

I agree! I think I did some convincing last April when I "rodcast" the whole thing.

Great feedback and, I hope, some sales (at least, people said they were gonna buy it...)

---

Now playing: Ivor Cutler - Gravity Begins At Home

I gotta say that I love this set. I only had a couple of V5 CDs before I bought this set so it was a bit of a chance. I love the inside/outside stuff these guys do. Really like the sound of the disks too. You get a real club-y almost like your there atmosphere. And, when they get going at full skronk, watch out... :lol:

Just in case anybody's on the bubble on this thing, while I've only listened to the first five discs, I most definitely reccomend it!  :tup

I hear noooooooo-think.... noooooothinkkkk!

I'll have to look into financing this sucker. We're buying a bigger house, and the CD budget is going to take a hit... :( (On the upside, I'll finally have more room to store the CDs that I already have. :) )

I received my copy of Alchemica damaged. The lower right-hand corner of the box is damaged as are the lower right-hand corners of the CD placard holders and booklet. More importantly, discs 3, 7, 8, 9, and 10 are all scratched. I've only listened to disc 3 so far, but that disc will not play properly due to the scratch. The scratches are mostly circular. Anyone else have problems? I've just sent an email to info@polishjazz.com. Hopefully they are stand-up guys. On another (iritating) note, it seems to me that the most important (and most basic) role of cd packaging is to safely store the cd. I am appalled at the number of cd packages that fail at this most fundamental task. If you tip one the the cd-storing placards in the V5 set (to access the placard below it for example) you'll find that all the cds fall off. That just plain sucks in my view.

I received my copy of Alchemia damaged...
Peter, when the box came out they supposedly had a rush of orders and mine kinda got lost at the ordering desk,

so I had to wait about 3 or 4 days extra.

For my trouble they threw in a copy of the Louder Than Bombs DVD

[Polish directed film - winner at Sundance].

The free double disc Polish Jazz set is quite good too - very diverse and good musicianship.

In other words, expect to be taken care of.

---

Now playing: Anthony Braxton - 26-1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My main thought (without having heard it, or even liking Vandermark) is that (1) it's on a small label, (2) it'll go out of print eventually and (3) if so then if you don't like it then it will be easy to resell at cost or even a profit. So if you have the cash & are curious about it, then it's not like you will be out of pocket if you decide you don't like it.