Vandermark Five - Alchemia

I picked up this set last month when JazzLoft had a sale (10% off and free shipping over $75). The CDs could have been better protected in the set, but overall I'm quite elated by the package. The music is dynamite--inside/outside with occasional segues into funk. I have now become a fan of Dave Rempis, in particular. Does anyone have particular recommendations of his work outside of the V5? I'd also be interested in reading other thoughts about the Alchemia set. IMO, this one is a winner.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also be interested in reading other thoughts about the Alchemia set. IMO, this one is a winner.

I sold most of my CDs a couple of years ago when financial troubles hit, but Alchemia is still here. I just couldn't give it up. I'll admit to being a bit of a Vandermark nut, though.

I bought this box set shortly after listening to the "Rodcast" -- great stuff, no regrets. I was a little apprehensive that 12 CDs would be too much, but there really is quite a lot of variety, including on the repeated tunes.

The packaging and booklet are first rate, somewhat similar to Mosaic sets.

I also became a Rempis fan as a result of this set, but I'd also add that Tim Daisy does some great work here as well. And I really can't leave out Bishop and Kessler either -- that's the real strength of this music, very much a group effort.

I have always considered Daisy rather weak.

I bought this box set shortly after listening to the "Rodcast" -- great stuff, no regrets. I was a little apprehensive that 12 CDs would be too much, but there really is quite a lot of variety, including on the repeated tunes.

I also became a Rempis fan as a result of this set, but I'd also add that Tim Daisy does some great work here as well. And I really can't leave out Bishop and Kessler either -- that's the real strength of this music, very much a group effort.

I don't think he's "weak". He's got his skill set. My impression of his style is small, rapid strokes. He doesn't have a "big" sound, in my experience. He seems to have more of a quick, tapping style. Not necessarily swinging either, but he does seem to focus on polyrhythms, ornate patterns, and reactive accompaniment.

I haven't heard Alchemia.

What makes you consider him weak? Just curious, because I have mixed emotions about his approach as well.

I have always considered Daisy rather weak.

I think his rhythms are kind of basic, "rock' like. His fills are ALL the same rapid rolls. He does a have small sound. And little variation. Liked Mars Williams better than Rempis. Liked Tim Mulvenna better than Daisy, but frankly not a big fan of his either. Vandermark seems to like a more basic "rock" beat for V5. LOVE Jeb Bishop & was sorry to see him leave V5. Of drummers from the Chicago/Vandermark scene, love Hamid Drake, Paal Nilssen-Love.

I think a general observation about Vandermark is that he tends to play on the downbeat a lot. FWIW ...

I just sold this set. It's a good set of music, well put together, and I'll probably regret parting with it someday, but I just wasn't listening to it. The one thing I am pleased about with this set is that it turned me on to the Oles brothers, who join in on the last disc for a jam session -- not so much for what they do here, but from foraging around other stuff they've been involved with.

I have now become a fan of Dave Rempis, in particular. Does anyone have particular recommendations of his work outside of the V5?

i have this:

Rempis_perc_4tet_hun_gath_200.jpg

it's a terrific, freely improvised recording. sax (rempis), bass (anton hatwich), and two drummers (tim daisy and frank rosaly).

great rapport, intensity, lots of different grooves/feels, and an enthusiastic crowd ("The Bus And The Canyon!"). excellent recording - the kind that makes you envy the crowd for having been there in your absence.

Interesting observations, Peter... will go back and listen again.

And it could very well be that the basic "rock" beat (combined with some elements of inside/outside jazz) is what I find interesting -- my tastes are not necessarily always demanding or sophisticated! :)

This is all subjective, personal taste.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

After quite an elapse of longing to hear it, I finally picked up Alchemia 2/h on eBay the other week for US$84 inc.S&H to NZ - YAY!!! In great nick too!

Have to say however that I don't like the soft plastic holders glued to the backing cards - quite a bit of the glue has made its way onto the discs themselves around the hole requiring cleanup w/tissues & isopropyl. I've typed up jewel-case-sized setlists w/full details for each disc & will store them in thin cases and keep the box & booklet separately.

Fabulous stuff anyway - as is most of the V5 oeuvre.

New one on Not Two just announced!

Jim