Baseball 2005

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the tribe is on freakin' fire

Yeah, but Wickman's arm is gonna fall off! I see him in the highlights every damn night it seems!

And Dan, you sound like Al bashing the Rangers! The Yankees have starting problems as well,(And the Devil Rays can beat up either team at will it appears!) so don't know why you are so sure they will be the team....

Yeah, but Wickman's arm is gonna fall off! I see him in the highlights every damn night it seems!

And Dan, you sound like Al bashing the Rangers! The Yankees have starting problems as well,(And the Devil Rays can beat up either team at will it appears!) so don't know why you are so sure they will be the team....

I can assure you that the only way I'll feel good soon is if we go into the final weekend at Fenway with a four game lead, and that ain't gonna happen.

I can assure you that the only way I'll feel good soon is if we go into the final weekend at Fenway with a four game lead, and that ain't gonna happen.

Yes it will, see my post above.

Alternatively, riddle me this: what's more likely to happen at this moment: that the Yanks go into a tailspin or that the Red Sox win even 7 of their last 10?

FWIW, I think the Yanks/Bosox will go down to that final series, with the winner going to the playoffs and the loser going home. They'll split the first two with one last game for all the marbles.

Alternatively, since the Chisox & Tribe also finish the season in a head-to-head series, we could see the winner of that series in the playoffs, the winner of the Yanks/Bosox series in the playoffs, and the wild card one of the losing teams.

Whatever way it shakes out, it certainly promises to be interesting and exciting for fans of those teams and baseball fans in general. Why,last night I was pumping my fist and cheering like it was a playoff game when the Yanks came up victorious against the Birds.

Dan, remember that hope is not always rational but is sometimes rewarded handsomely.

Berigan, I love to see guys like Wickman or 'El Guapo' who used to be on the Bosox, guys that don't look like athletes, guys with beer guts who can't run. Baseball is about the only sport where guys that look like the usual guy you might see anywhere are actually good players.

Berigan, I love to see guys like Wickman or 'El Guapo' who used to be on the Bosox, guys that don't look like athletes, guys with beer guts who can't run.

Philly, El Guapo signed a contract with the Sox. Last I heard he was in Fort Myers, about thirty pounds heavier than he was when last seen. There were good reports at first but then I didn't hear anything else, and this was back maybe in June/July.

Baseball is about the only sport where guys that look like the usual guy you might see anywhere are actually good players.

Anyone remember when John Kruk was on Letterman, and he relayed a story about how he was smoking in public and some lady accosted him and objected that he's an athlete and shouldn't make a bad role model for kids, and he said,

"Lady, I'm not an athlete. I'm a baseball player."

:g

Berigan, I love to see guys like Wickman or 'El Guapo' who used to be on the Bosox, guys that don't look like athletes, guys with beer guts who can't run.

Philly, El Guapo signed a contract with the Sox. Last I heard he was in Fort Myers, about thirty pounds heavier than he was when last seen. There were good reports at first but then I didn't hear anything else, and this was back maybe in June/July.

Baseball is about the only sport where guys that look like the usual guy you might see anywhere are actually good players.

Anyone remember when John Kruk was on Letterman, and he relayed a story about how he was smoking in public and some lady accosted him and objected that he's an athlete and shouldn't make a bad role model for kids, and he said,

"Lady, I'm not an athlete. I'm a baseball player."

:g

Remember Rick Reuschel? Big Fat dude, won 17 games at the age of 40, and was a very good fielding pitcher...bet no one believed him when he said he was a major leaguer! ^_^

1.5 games out of first

chisox have collapsed

No, I'd say they've stopped the bleeding by winning two in a row. If they had collapsed, the Indians would be in first by now and the white Sox would be struggling to hold onto the Wild card. While that is the outcome most favorable to the Red Sox, I don't see it happening. The Indians have the tougher opponent this week (didn't the Devil Rays SWEEP the Indians in August?) while the Pale Hose have the Tigers, who are pretty much in free fall, and as Paul likes to point out, they are on the road where they are inexplicably better.

1.5 games out of first

chisox have collapsed

I'd say definitely not so now. The Royals finally beat ya and the Chisox won for the third time in a row. The deficit in the Central is 2.5 games, and the lead in the Wild Card is only .5. If the Sox and Yanks both win on Monday, with the Indians off, there will still be a tie for first place in the East, and a three-way tie for the Wild Card.

Better take care of Tampa Bay (who beat the Angels Sunday to possibly tighten up the West before the showdown series in Oakland.)

Well, it looks like the Yankee win streak and O's losing streak will come to a big end. I guess it doesn't matter much at this point if you lose by two like the Sox did or get clobbered 17 to whatever, but I'd think the Yanks have to be a bit worried about Mussina pitching the last game at Fenway. He looked great in his first start back but now he doesn't make it out of the second inning.

But a big opportunity missed by the Sox, who led in the seventh and let Toronto steal it away. :angry: At least they've got two more lefties pitching for Toronto, and lefties have not done well at Fenway all year long.

And with the White Sox and Indians losing, we've got one big tie atop the East and the Wild Card, and time may be running out on the Indians chances of taking the division.

As a Yankee fan, I can certainly tell you that having Mussina start on Sunday (assuming that game has any meaning) makes me pretty uncomfortable. He was brutal last night. But, for any fan of the Sox, Shilling on the bump can't be any less worrisome. I was kind of hoping the Yanks would hold Johnson back a day and let him and Shilling duel it out on Sunday, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. It's be Wong/Wells on Friday; Johnson/Wakefield (on three days rest he's career 5-4) and then Moose and Shilling on Sunday. Not sure what that leaves for a playoff game on Monday if that becomes necessary, although I'd guess the Yanks would have to play Small ball with 8-0 Aaron. Of course, in a game like that, everyone has to be ready.

Note to Dan and other Sox fans. I'm leaving on vacation for 2+ weeks Friday morning, so if Boston wins, I won't be available for abuse until the middle of October. If the Yanks win, that'll give you some time to collect yourself. By then, I suppose it's possible neither team will still be in the hunt.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

As a Yankee fan, I can certainly tell you that having Mussina start on Sunday (assuming that game has any meaning) makes me pretty uncomfortable.  He was brutal last night.  But, for any fan of the Sox, Shilling on the bump can't be any less worrisome.  I was kind of hoping the Yanks would hold Johnson back a day and let him and Shilling duel it out on Sunday, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.  It's be Wong/Wells on Friday; Johnson/Wakefield (on three days rest he's career 5-4) and then Moose and Shilling on Sunday.  Not sure what that leaves for a playoff game on Monday if that becomes necessary, although I'd guess the Yanks would have to play Small ball with 8-0 Aaron.  Of course, in a game like that, everyone has to be ready. 

Note to Dan and other Sox fans.  I'm leaving on vacation for 2+ weeks Friday morning, so if Boston wins, I won't be available for abuse until the middle of October.  If the Yanks win, that'll give you some time to collect yourself.  By then, I suppose it's possible neither team will still be in the hunt. 

Up over and out.

I think we'll both be out of it by the time you return. Neither of these teams look like champions to me.

If there's a play-off in the Bronx, first of all, there'd have to be a one game separation heading into Friday for that to even be possible. And Chacon would be the next starter, theoretically, with Arroyo going for Boston. Speaking of whom, I wonder if Arroyo goes to the pen on Sunday, just in case. I would bet he does, and the Sox go with Clement if Arroyo is used and there's a playoff.

Last thing I'll mention is that Wakefield is almost as hot as he was when he broke in with Pittsburg, and he's certainly done well against the Yanks historically. If the Giambino hits that flyball like he did to win in the Bronx, it falls into Trot's glove at Fenway ...

I think its fitting that we pause to honor Atlanta and the Angels as they have clinched their divisions, Atlanta for a stupefying 14th time in a row.

Of course, they'll probably get bounced in the first round by Houston, but even though the Angels will probably have the weakest record of the AL play-off teams, I do think they may have the best shot at returning to the World Series, as they've got the arms, bats, and bullpen to do so, and time to relax and set things up for October. That's something that the Sox, Yanks, Indians and Pale Hose can't do.