Baseball 2005

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i see it

it's coming down to a 1 game play off between the yanks/red sox and the loser is out of the post season

can baseball have a post season without the red sox AND the yanks both playin'?

the tribe should make the wild card... fingers crossed

This coming weekend may be crazy, with the Chisox & Ttribe playing three to close the season and the Yanks & Bosox doing the same. Right now there's a thre-way tie for the wild card with the Yanks, Bosox & Tribe, with one as division leader. I'm hoping ESPN will carry Chisox/Tribe in NYC so that I can watch both Yanks/Bosox & Chisox/Tribe. Will the Tribe ever cool off? They're the hottest team in baseball right now.

Well, it didn't go exactly as I previously predicted, but the bottom line, after last night's fiasco, is this:

If the Sox go to Fenway trailing by a game, winning two out of three only gets them to a play-off at Yankee stadium on Monday, so they really have to sweep, which is about as likely at this point, with this team, as coming back from a 3-0 deficit in a seven game series.

If the Sox avoid the Christmas rush and drop another game in the standings, then the impossible three game sweep is all that will save them.

Given the fact that they are heading, in all likelihood, to drop at least two of three to the Yanks, their only chance for the Wild Card is if the Indians completely collapse, and why would they do that, given that the White Sox only need one win or one Indian loss to clinch, and then they'll go into "rest your starters" mode and will probably play with about as much intensity as the utterly contemptible Orioles?

Oh how I LOVE a FULL MEDIA BLACKOUT .

Can't wait for Saturday night when I will drown my sorrows with a few beers and this:

B0009IXRLW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Let's see here...

The White Sox just clinched the central division.

Let's face facts, Cleveland will eat us alive on this last series.

The red sox will fall to the yankees, freezing the red sox out of the playoffs completely.

Oh, how it must suck to be a red sox fan today.

I was prepared to be magnanimous and congratulatory til I saw this, and now all I can say is FUCK YOU

and btw, PAPI homered in the eighth to tie and singled in the winning run in the 9th to preserve the World Champion's hopes for another couple of days at least.

You seem to be a little on edge, Dan. :)

BTW, can someone explain the following to me. I read where the Chisox have clinched the AL Central with a 3 game lead over the Tribe due to the fact that even if they should lose the 3 game weekend set, they win the division because they already have an 11-5 head to head edge over the Indians. So, explain to me why if the Yanks. who have a 9-7 head to head edge over the Bosox, only win one out of three this weekend and thereby end the regular schedule with a 10-9 edge, will still have to play a division tiebreaker on Monday?

Let's see here...

The White Sox just clinched the central division.

Let's face facts, Cleveland will eat us alive on this last series.

The red sox will fall to the yankees, freezing the red sox out of the playoffs completely.

Oh, how it must suck to be a red sox fan today.

I was prepared to be magnanimous and congratulatory til I saw this, and now all I can say is FUCK YOU

and btw, PAPI homered in the eighth to tie and singled in the winning run in the 9th to preserve the World Champion's hopes for another couple of days at least.

:lol::lol::lol:

somebody needs a hug.

:lol::lol::lol:

chris

you a yankee fan now?

:)

I always have been. ;)

Seriously, I've not really been watching much baseball since the move. Although, I will follow the playoffs and watch the world series. I would really like to see Cleveland make it in.

As for next season, I'm hoping the Mets will field a contender sometime soon.

On a side note, I really can't get over the NL West sucking so bad. A 500 team wins the division? :crazy:

D-Backs need some major help.

On a side note, I really can't get over the NL West sucking so bad. A 500 team wins the division?  :crazy:

Ironically enough, when you & I were little kids--WAY little--I think the Mets won the East with an 82-80 record (!?) and then nearly knocked off the Reds in the NLCS. I'm thinkin' 1973, because the Reds got beat by the A's in the WS that year.

On a side note, I really can't get over the NL West sucking so bad. A 500 team wins the division?  :crazy:

Ironically enough, when you & I were little kids--WAY little--I think the Mets won the East with an 82-80 record (!?) and then nearly knocked off the Reds in the NLCS. I'm thinkin' 1973, because the Reds got beat by the A's in the WS that year.

Close, but it was even more (less?) impressive:

The 1973 New York Mets went 82-79 to win the East, beat the Reds 3-2 to win the pennant and took the world champion A's to seven games before losing.

A three-way tie would mean that the Yanks and Red Sox square off at the Stadium on Monday. Loser plays the Tribe on Tuesday.

If the Sox and Tribe are tied after Sunday, they play on Monday at Fenway.

Not sure if a play-off between the Yanks and Tribe is at the Stadium or the Jake.

Close, but it was even more (less?) impressive:

The 1973 New York Mets went 82-79 to win the East, beat the Reds 3-2 to win the pennant and took the world champion A's to seven games before losing.

You're right, Dan... my memory got a bit mixed up. I do remember watching this little scene unfold during the NLCS:

roseharrelsonwrestling.jpg

A mild dispute, I believe, between a Mr. Rose and a Mr. Harrelson concerning on-field right-of-way and safe passage therein.

Edited by ghost of miles