Baseball 2005

while a 14-2 victory is very nice, I wouldn't put too much stock in it. 

Too true. It's a bold exclamation point at the end of the first sentence, but it's not the whole paragraph (yet). I remember the Yanks absolutely crushing the Red Sox during one of the first games of the ALCS last year, and then....

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a lot Johnny.  I was 14 at the time, the best age for devouring baseball stats that for some ridiculous reason stay with you forever. :P

Ahhh, to be a teenager in the 50's when the Dodgers, Giants and Yankees all played in NY. The jazz was swingin', the beats were-a-writin', and everyone got under their desk when the alarm went off. NOW THAT'S AMERICAN!!!

AllAmericanApplePie.jpg

Anyone surprised that Alan Trammell was let go? Or Jim Tracy??? :eye:  They seemed to be doing the best they could with the talent they had....and truly bled the colors of their respective teams. Did I miss some negative stories somewhere???

I was a little surprised at the firing of Trammell, but I think 2 things hurt him. One was how unexpectedly well they did in 2004. The bigger problem is Jim Leyland wants to manage again and Detroit is trying to grab him.

Though I don't like the Dodgers I too thought Tracy did the best he could with what was given him. But the lack of playoff success over the past 17 years is tough to take, so when in doubt, fire the manager.

I thought the Trammell firing was a case of 'fire the manager because you can't fire the players'. Trammell didn't sign Pudge(I'm 35 lbs lighter and can't hit for power anymore & I hate walks) Rodriguez, Magglio(My knee is a wreck, but I'll take the $15mil a year you're giving me) Ordonez, or that expensive closer that I can't name right now. Maybe the GM should have gotten the ax.

Agree.

just like every year for 5 years now, the braves are completely overmatched in the NLDS. they have an overrated starter (hudson is NOT that good) who gets beat, early, and their impotent offense and awful bullpen once again let them down. same story, every year

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n.../w114013D36.DTL

(09-21) 11:40 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

Men are dirtier than women. So scientists confirmed by spying in public restrooms, watching as one-quarter of men left without washing their hands.

The worst offenders were at an Atlanta Braves game.

_The worst hygiene was at Atlanta's Turner Field baseball stadium, where 37 percent of men left the bathroom without washing, and 16 percent of the women did.

just like every year for 5 years now, the braves are completely overmatched in the NLDS. they have an overrated starter (hudson is NOT that good) who gets beat, early, and their impotent offense and awful bullpen once again let them down. same story, every year

carnac.jpg

A: Death, Taxes, and the Atlanta Braves choking in the first round of the playoffs.

Q: Name 3 sure bets

WTF is Dan the man....

i bet he's not a happy camper....

:)

No, he's not happy but he's not that unhappy yet either. We've come back twice in four years from this very same situation ... so don't count us out yet.

I don't want to count us out either. My emotions during that fifth inning Wednesday woke the kids and made the dog incontinent. Sure the Beaners came back but if I recall correctly they had a pitcher that is sitting it out in the DR with a banana daquiri right about now.

WTF is Dan the man....

i bet he's not a happy camper....

:)

No, he's not happy but he's not that unhappy yet either. We've come back twice in four years from this very same situation ... so don't count us out yet.

I don't want to count us out either. My emotions during that fifth inning Wednesday woke the kids and made the dog incontinent. Sure the Beaners came back but if I recall correctly they had a pitcher that is sitting it out in the DR with a banana daquiri right about now.

True. But keep in mind that the weather looks pretty bad right now ... its possible that a fifth game could have Wells going on regular rest on Monday ... and that was part of how we made it through against the Yankees last year: rain allowed them to bring Pedro back for Game 5 on regular rest.

BTW, the Sox have lost three straight only twice this season, and not since July 18.

BTW, the Sox have lost three straight only twice this season, and not since July 18.

Well, then y'all are just about due for another one, doncha think? :g

That said, I'm far from counting y'all out either. Boston's a proven post season contender, and I'm sure that you guys are all drooling over the idea of a rematch of last year's ALCS.

So, I have to hope that Freddy works his magic on the road again today.

Either Dan or I will be talking shit in about 2.5 hours or so, methinks...

That said, I'm far from counting y'all out either. Boston's a proven post season contender, and I'm sure that you guys are all drooling over the idea of a rematch of last year's ALCS.

Well, start talking!!! Congratulations. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this last game once El Duque came in. If the Yanks get past the Angels, it definitely will be tough getting past the team with the best record in the AL. (To think that El Duque and especially Contreras might do us in, ugh!)

As promised, my hat's off to you and your team. Good luck the rest of the way.

Well, Yanks are in big trouble, a fact that I'm sure does not upset too many on this board. Hey, if I hadn't been raised a Yankee fan, I'd hate them also. In any event, weaknesses always have a way of being spotlighted in the playoffs. And the one big weakness of this year's Yankee edition has been middle relief, coupled with inconsistency from the one pitcher the Yanks were counting on to take them to the big show - Randy Johnson. I like Chacon's chances today, but if the Yanks do prevail, it sure will be tough to get another good performance from another inconsistent pitcher, Mike Mussina, especially in L.A. Oh well, we shall see.

Well, Yanks are in big trouble, a fact that I'm sure does not upset too many on this board.  Hey, if I hadn't been raised a Yankee fan, I'd hate them also.  In any event, weaknesses always have a way of being spotlighted in the playoffs.  And the one big weakness of this year's Yankee edition has been middle relief, coupled with inconsistency from the one pitcher the Yanks were counting on to take them to the big show - Randy Johnson.  I like Chacon's chances today, but if the Yanks do prevail, it sure will be tough to get another good performance from another inconsistent pitcher, Mike Mussina, especially in L.A.  Oh well, we shall see.

You'd have a better chance with Small on the hill than Chacon. The Sox pounded Chacon and I won't be at all surprised if the Angels do the same. Halos in four, and the Yankee drought goes another year longer. Between that and having the Division Championship streak snapped (do NOT tell me you're "champions" based on some silly tie-breaker, the records were exactly even and because of a stupid MLB rule, it wasn't decided on the field. That makes you co-champions) I'd say a Steinbrenner eruption might still be on the way. :D

Edited by Dan Gould

Well, Yanks are in big trouble, a fact that I'm sure does not upset too many on this board.  Hey, if I hadn't been raised a Yankee fan, I'd hate them also.  In any event, weaknesses always have a way of being spotlighted in the playoffs.  And the one big weakness of this year's Yankee edition has been middle relief, coupled with inconsistency from the one pitcher the Yanks were counting on to take them to the big show - Randy Johnson.  I like Chacon's chances today, but if the Yanks do prevail, it sure will be tough to get another good performance from another inconsistent pitcher, Mike Mussina, especially in L.A.  Oh well, we shall see.

You'd have a better chance with Small on the hill than Chacon. The Sox pounded Chacon and I won't be at all surprised if the Angels do the same. Halos in four, and the Yankee drought goes another year longer. Between that and having the Division Championship streak snapped (do NOT tell me you're "champions" based on some silly tie-breaker, the records were exactly even and because of a stupid MLB rule, it wasn't decided on the field. That makes you co-champions) I'd say a Steinbrenner eruption might still be on the way. :D

I wouldn't dream of insisting that the Yanks won the AL East Division, that's your big hangup not mine. When you're a Yankee fan, all you really care about is World Championships, AL East is just one step to get there and with the advent of wild cards, that's not even necessary anymore. However for the record, all the books, media, Internet sites, etc., that keep track of such baseball stats will record that the Yanks did win the AL East and that when a tiebreaker is decided on the basis of a head to head matchup edge that the Yanks did indeed win, there really is no cause for dispute. What you and any Red Sox fan insists about "co-champions" status doesn't mean squat. :cool: