mrjazzman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some fave Rouse with Monk:

The Live in Japan set on Columbia.

The Live in Stockholm set on DIW.

And his "Well You Needn't" solo on Live at the It Club.

Good choices. The live stuff from Stockholm is currently available from the Monk family's private label. That DIW set is impossible to find... believe me, I looked! I really like this set and I thank John Litwack for turning me onto it.

I'm a huge Charlie Rouse fan. I actually prefer his work away from Monk where he gets to do his own thing. Make sure you get that sampler of his Epic label output. I think it's called "Oh Yeah!". If vinyl is your thing, this material was recently reissued. On CD, the Japanese Epic's released in their "Mastersound" series sound phenomenal.

Kevin

Sphere was an excellent band (Rouse, Kenny Barron, Buster Williams and Ben Riley). Their recordings (I'm only aware of one reissued on CD) are worth seeking out on LP, if not otherwise available. As I recall they were released on Elecktra Musician and Red.

One album by Rouse that I never see mentioned is the co-led one with Paul Quinichette. Titled "The Chase Is On" on Bethlehem from 1957. I have this on an old Bethlehem CD and remember enjoying it quite a bit - I'll have to spin it again. Rouse appeared on another Bethlehem album from this period, by Cleanhead Vinson - never heard that one.

Mike

One album by Rouse that I never see mentioned is the co-led one with Paul Quinichette. Titled "The Chase Is On" on Bethlehem from 1957. I have this on an old Bethlehem CD and remember enjoying it quite a bit - I'll have to spin it again. Rouse appeared on another Bethlehem album from this period, by Cleanhead Vinson - never heard that one.

Mike

Mike, I came very close to mentioning this date myself but it isn't reall easy to find these days. I have it on Charly two-fer. I do like that one a lot.

Is the Japanese 24 bit version of this still in print?

Kevin

Sphere was an excellent band (Rouse, Kenny Barron, Buster Williams and Ben Riley). Their recordings (I'm only aware of one reissued on CD) are worth seeking out on LP, if not otherwise available. As I recall they were released on Elecktra Musician and Red.

I have a very nice Sphere cd on Verve called Four For All. It was issued in 1987.

I have a very nice Sphere cd on Verve called Four For All. It was issued in 1987.

Yes that's the one I have on CD.

On LP, Flight Path on Electra Musician (I don't seem to have their first album).

On Red, Sphere on Tour and Live At Umbria Jazz.

They sounded great when they played at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth. There was virtually no one in attendance.

Wonderful record. Used to listen to it daily in college (when the record was new) and well do I remember my friends berating me: "You listen to records with dudes in ascots on the cover?"

Caught Sphere with Rouse at the Vanguard in 87 or 88. Just phenomenal, so spiritual: Monk in all newly reMonkified ways. Rouse was the one who stayed with Monk until the very end wasn't he? Long after Riley had gone.

After Rouse passed, Sphere with Gary Bartz has been quite wonderful as well, if very different. Difficult though to imagine anything that didn't sound good with a rhythm section comprised of those fellows.

I know I am in a minority but I always liked 'Bossa Nova Bacchanal' on BN. Rouse really got the right mood of the Brazilian music on that date.

An underrated Rouse session is the 'Upper Manhattan Jazz Society' album (Enja) he co-led with Benny Bailey. A superb get-together that really worked!