Herbie Nichols Mosaic

Are there as many alternate takes on the Mosaic set as on the other 3 CD set released by Blue Note some time ago? I have the latter and I love the music but I am not keen on all these alternate takes. I would play these CDs more often if these takes were at the end of the CD. Is it the same on the Mosaic set (which I have the opportunity to buy). Could anybody post the discography of the Mosaic?Thanks!

Edited by ASNL77

The Mosaic set is equivalent to the BN CD except for the packaging. I put the whole shebang on my iPod and reorganized it by original issue format and track order (with the alternates at the end), because the strictly chronological approach bugged me in this case.

This yields 4 'LPs':

Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Volume One (6 master takes, 3 alternates)

Prophetic Herbie Nichols, Volume Two (6 master takes, 4 alternates)

Herbie Nichols Trio (10 master takes, 4 alternates)

Herbie Nichols Trio, Volume Two (this is an extended version of a Japanese-only release and contains the 15 leftover tracks - 8 master takes and 7 alternates)

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Sure wish that Herbie Nichols/Tina Brooks/Roswell Rudd gig at Yale had been taped!

No kidding! That would have been something to hear Brooks in that context.

The Mosaic, despite it coming out in the early 80's, sounds very good to me. (Haven't heard the BN box.)

Thanks guys. No point buying the Mosaic set then. I like exhaustive sets but I really hate having to listen to the same tune twice especially when it happens as often as on this set. Shame, but the music is delightful. No doubt Nichols deserved more recognition.

Edited by ASNL77

I always felt the unissued titles and alternate takes revealed an earlier (stride based) side of Nichols. If the alternates had been issued first we'd have a very different (but fine) impression of the artist.

I found this set to be one of the best "excuses" for alternates I know. I would not want to be without them.

You can always program your listening pleasure.

I would just like to add that the booklet accompanying the Mosaic set is particularly wonderful, even by Mosaic standards.

I have to second that. I had the orginal LP mosaic set but sold it with regret when swapping over. However the Blue Note box is very good. I remember doing a talk about Herbie Nichols at the Manchester Jazz Society and photocopying the book...should have kept it I guess.

Never mind.

These sets ( like the Tina Brooks and I would say the Larry Young and Andrew Hill ) were real shining stars for Mosaic. A little like the recent Andrew Hill mosaic select. A triumph of music and art over the bean counters :P