No Love for Stanley Turrentine set?

Come on folks... I don't think I've heard a peep for this one... I grabbed this one as soon as it came out... and loved it. This is one of the Mosaics that the first time I listened I loved it...

Haven't listened to the set in a few months again until now...

Right now listening to Disc 2 and a beautiful version of My Ship...

Does our silence lead one to Mr. Turrentine is even underrated by the mighty minds on this board????

:angry::unsure::unsure:

:tup:tup

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on folks... I don't think I've heard a peep for this one...

It was discussed in at least two different threads, probably before you joined the board.

I never bought the set, mainly because I already had almost all of the music in it on LP and CD. There's no doubt, though, he deserved the Mosaic treatment. One of the great tenor voices of all time, IMO. :tup

Yep, it's been discussed. I think everyone thought it pretty terrific, though the sound is wonky on a couple of the discs.

which discs have wonky sound?

I'd like to know as i'm considering buying the set. I've got most of the individual titles, so I would like to know which of the sessions have the wonky sound.

which discs have wonky sound? I'd like to know as i'm considering buying the set.  I've got most of the individual titles, so I would like to know which of the sessions have the wonky sound.

I can't find where the sound gets 'wonky.' I've yet to learn how & where McMaster compromised Turrentine's sound. confused2.gif

Can anyone tell me how the Lee Morgan tracks on this set are? I like Turrentine, but it is an otherwise unavailable (to my knowledge) Lee Morgan sideman deal that really interests me.

Tom

They're from an album called Mr. Natural, and are my favorite tracks in the set--particularly "Shirley." :tup

Can anyone tell me how the Lee Morgan tracks on this set are? I like Turrentine, but it is an otherwise unavailable (to my knowledge) Lee Morgan sideman deal that really interests me.

Tom

this was one of the (many) reasons I was originally intrigued by this set. To my knowledge (and I may be wrong) this was one of the few (if not only) time they recorded together... (Another board member may be able to verify or correct that...)

My sole disappointment with the set is that there are only together on 4 tracks they play on together. They are based off the album Mr. Natural. The tracks are great... esp. Track 8 on Disc 4 (a ten minute tune - Shirley)... I only wish there were more...

which discs have wonky sound? I'd like to know as i'm considering buying the set.  I've got most of the individual titles, so I would like to know which of the sessions have the wonky sound.

I can't find where the sound gets 'wonky.' I've yet to learn how & where McMaster compromised Turrentine's sound. confused2.gif

Me either. I listended to Discs 1 and 2 over the weekend and couldn't notice anything bad or peculiar.

Glad to hear it. My set is still 'in the mail' with the Amos Milburn LP set and I had been wavering over ordering the set as a result of some of the reservations over sound. Frankly, anything Mosaic issue with Stanley's name on the front of, I'm going to buy. Can't wait to hear this one B-)

Edited by sidewinder

Me either. I listended to Discs 1 and 2 over the weekend and couldn't notice anything bad or peculiar.

The first two discs sound very "bright" to me, though whether due to the mastering or the original recording I don't know. The other discs sound much better, which is partly why the first two stand out. I forget who it was who first raised this issue on the ol' BN board, but after comparing the first two discs with the others I had to agree. But as they say, your mileage may vary...

Glad to hear it. My set is still 'in the mail' with the Amos Milburn LP set and I had been wavering over ordering the set as a result of some of the reservations over sound. Frankly, anything Mosaic issue with Stanley's name on the front of, I'm going to buy.  Can't wait to hear this one

You will enjoy the Turrentine set. My most-played sets, recently, have been the Turrentine Mosaic and the Horace Parlan Mosaic.

To be fair to various other posters to this Board, I've never heard the Turrentine material in any version except for what's offered in the Turrentine Mosaic. Alas, I have nothing to compare to the sound quaility of the Mosaic.

I enjoy Stanley Turrentine's soulful saxophone. I enjoy Ron McMaster's remastering work. I believe the Turrentine Mosaic sounds extremely good. I find no fault in Turrentine's or McMaster's sound. None.

I ordered the Turrentine Mosaic yesterday. 

Had a few beers in me, but I don't think I'll regret the decision. 

:g

Oh boy, I buy too much cold sober. I can't imagine what would happen with a few beers. I'd be clicking every "buy it now" icon I could find!!! :blink:

In any case, I don't have the Mr. T. set, but I have at least half the set on LP. You're going to love it!!!