Grant Green compilations

Alfred

This is a bit strange to me. Not long after the Retrospective box, Blue Note will release 3 more single CDs with funk oriented stuff. Grant Green is one of the "most in print" BN artitsts, I guess. Street date for Europe is Mai 23th.

B000817ZHM.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpgB000817ZHW.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpgB000817ZI6.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

I definitely not need these sampler. But the cover design is cool! B-)

I am down with that!

If they have the best cuts from those later albums, then I would be all for that. Some of the ballads were a bit too syrupy for my palate.

Vol 1:

1. Ain't It Funky Now

2. Ease Back

3. It's Your Thing

4. Love On A Two Way Street

5. Let The Music Take Your Mind

6. I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing, Open Up The Door I'll Get It Myself / Cold Sweat

7. Betcha By Golly Wow

Vol 2:

1. Upshot

2. The Final Comedown

3. Cantaloupe Woman

4. Dracula

5. California Green

6. Flood In Franklin Park

Vol 3:

1. Cease The Bombing

2. Maiden Voyage

3. A Day In The Life

4. Down Hear On The Ground

5. Fancy Free

6. I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing, Open Up The Door I'll Get It Myself / Cold Sweat

Is this different from "I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing (Open The Door I'll Get It Myself)" from the Carryin' On Rare Groove reissue?

This is a bit strange to me. Not long after the Retrospective box, Blue Note will release 3 more single CDs with funk oriented stuff. Grant Green is one of the "most in print" BN artitsts, I guess.

Well, none of this stuff is on the aforementioned Retrospective, and I don't know how much of this is in print otherwise, so maybe these could be considered to be companion discs to the Retrospective. Sort of a Retrospective, Part 2. Who knows?

These look nice, the song selections are logical. Disc 3 would probably be of most interest to fans of Grant's "earlier period"...as his versions of Maiden Voyage & Fancy Free are STUNNING.

IF that version of Maiden Voyage is from "Alive," then yes, it is killer.

As a sort of Retrospective, pt II, I guess think kinda make sence. But not too much to me given that there are GG sessions from this period that are either completely unissued (Live @ Club Mozambique, and a studio date with the usual suspects) or unreissued domestically (Shades of Green, etc.). Oh well, maybe some day. Not to mention unissued outtakes from Carryin' On!

Oh, in case nobody else answered, there are two recordings by Grant of "Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothing" - the one from Carryin' On and the one one from Shades of Green that's a medley with "Cold Sweat". Both good, neither one as hot as the version of "Ain't It Funky" from Green is Beautiful. More than enuff from a BN play JB antho if you include Lonnie Smith's "I Can't Stand It", miscredited tho' it is.