Lost tv broadcasts

medjuck

With oop cds you can at least hope someone will make a copy for you. How about tv shows that were broadcast before the days of home video taping. Three come to mind for me:

1) On the Stars of Jazz tv show hosted by Bobby Troupe in LA, Chet Baker did a show of tunes associated with Bix Beiderbecke. (Or so I've been told-- I've never read about this anywhere.)

2) The first Ellington Sacred Concert was filmed (taped?), broacast once (September 16, '65), and has not been seen since.

3) The pilot for Ralph J. Gleason's Jazz Casual featured Ellington.

Of course one can hope that these may turn up. Apparently most of the Stars of Jazz tapes were erased so the tape could be re-used, but some have shown up-- most recently the one featuring Billie Holiday.

I think the Sacred Concert does exist but is privately held.

The Stars of Jazz pilot was erased at the insistence of the musicians union who had someone on the set to supervise the erasure!!

Anyb know any others?

There was an LA show called Frankly Jazz. Thissite gives these lists of performances:

PAUL HORN QUINTET with Vic Gaskin, Larry Bunker ,Milt Turner and Paul Moer

SHELLY MANNE QUINTET, with Conte Candoli Ritchie Kamuca, Russ Freeman

Monty Budwig

SHORTY ROGERS AND HIS GIANTS with Pete Jolly, Mel Lewis, Joe Main i(tnr) , Max Bennett (bass)

CURTIS AMY SEXTET with Vic Gaskin, Dupree Bolton, Charles Coker Ron Selico and Holland Crawford

GERALD WILSON and his Orchestra with Teddy Edwards and Mel Lewis

BUD SHANK-CLARE FISCHER BOOSA NOVA SHOW with Gary Peacock(bass) and Larry Bunker (drs)

JAZZ CRUSADERS

SAMMY DAVIS JR supported by Vic Feldman and Jiimmy Rowles Quartet

I've seen the Curtis Amy and Gerald Wilson, they're quite nice. The site I linked to has quite an extensive list of jazz on film, there's lots that you'd hope would be available.

Oh heavens - I can think up a billion TV broadcasts that I have found mentioned in magazines and newspapers which have never been seen again, and not just from the days of live TV. Somewhere along the line people got the idea into their heads that this kind of thing was not worth preserving and it just went out into the ether. I suppose the fact that one had no market for it had something to do with it - you couldn't sell people these broadcasts like you could sell records (and like you now can sell VHS and DVD). Thankfully, those bright enough to preserve their films can now sell them to us and we will gladly buy.

You wanted an example? How about the Summer 1963 series done from The New School - one week it was Thelonious Monk Quartet with Rouse, Warren, Dunlop; the next was Sonny Rollins Quartet with Paul Bley, Henry Grimes, and Roy McCurdy. Also in the series: Art Farmer Quartet with Jim Hall (probably also Steve Swallow and Walter Perkins); Horace Silver Quintet with Blue Mitchell, Junior Cook, Gene Taylor and Roy Brooks; and Al Cohn & Zoot Sims.

The Europeans were much more on the ball about this kind of thing. Quite a bit of their TV stuff has been saved.

Mike

2) The first Ellington Sacred Concert was filmed (taped?), broacast once (September 16, '65), and has not been seen since.

I think the Sacred Concert does exist but is privately held.

Somewhere in my basement is an audio tape I made from my tv at the time.

Does anyone have the video of Tristano/Konitz/Marsh from One Life to Live (I think that was the name of the show).

I'd love to see the Route 66 episode with Hawk, Roy, Jo and Ethel Waters. As of now it's just a fond memory.

I'vot audio-from-tv (replete w/hum) of the Ellington tribute shown by CBS on the night of his death, as well as some of the performances from the first PBS (Soundstage?) Down Beat Awards show - Sonny Rollins, McCoy, & Rahsaan come to mind. I've also got some other stuff, mostly reel-to-reel, but I couldn't tell you what it is. Whatevr it is, it's all grom the 70s on, so I'd think it would be preserved, and better, elsewhere.

As I have told Chris A., I remember the PSB show he hosted from New Jersey. The one I remember the best is Jimmy Heath with Curtis Fuller.

Maybe someday a grant will be written to scour the vaults of PBS stations for taped jazz shows.

Chuck, I've seen the clip from that Route 66 show, and had it on tape, but it went the way of all of the many hours of Jazz that I taped. They went pffft!

"One Life To Live" is a soap opera - you mean "Look Up And Live" - a religious broadcast done by the National Council of Churches. Had a lot of great folks at one time or another: Roach with Booker Little; Don Ellis; Dave Brubeck; Clark Terry. Some episodes do still exist - don't know about the Konitz/Marsh/Tristano.

Mike

Yup, stupid mistake. :o

I drove 50 miles to watch it at a friend's house since we didn't get the station.

Boris Rose issued the music on one of his "labels".

2) The first Ellington Sacred Concert was filmed (taped?),  broacast once  (September 16, '65),  and has  not  been seen since.

I think the Sacred Concert does exist  but is privately held.

Somewhere in my basement is an audio tape I made from my tv at the time.

Does anyone have the video of Tristano/Konitz/Marsh from One Life to Live (I think that was the name of the show).

I'd love to see the Route 66 episode with Hawk, Roy, Jo and Ethel Waters. As of now it's just a fond memory.

I'm pretty sure I have the Tristano-Konitz-Marsh if this TV program was broadcast from the Half Note. I know I definitely saw it over a decade ago because I recall how bizarre it was seeing jazz interspersed with some pretentious religious intellectual theorizing by the host of the program. I have a slew of jazz videotapes which have incomplete notes in each videotape box of which this is one of them. (On a sidenote, this is one I haven't loaned you, Dan).

I have a slew of jazz videotapes which have incomplete notes in each videotape box of which this is one of them. (On a sidenote, this is one I haven't loaned you, Dan).

Well, we need to hook up soon so I can give you the current box of reels back and get started on the rest!

I have that same fond memory, but I also seem to recall that they had Jo cast as the trumpet player and Roy as the drummer. Does that ring a bell. as it were?

I have that same fond memory, but I also seem to recall that they had Jo cast as the trumpet player and Roy as the drummer. Does that ring a bell. as it were?

Yes, I remember them playing the "wrong" instruments.

The story had Ethel on her death bed and the show's heros bringing her old band back for a reunion.

And hawkins on clarinet? At least we can pretty sure that show is extant.

BTW, I stumbled across a page for that "Frankly Jazz" show

http://www.franklyjazz.com/

Unfortunately, its just a home page, the links are just placeholders, but it now says "check back next week for our webpage premier" so maybe there's hope that the TV shows, or his radio broadcasts might be available soon? I sent an email to the contact addy but haven't gotten a response. but if something changes, I'll let y'all know.

I've seen the Curtis Amy and Gerald Wilson, they're quite nice. The site I linked to has quite an extensive list of jazz on film, there's lots that you'd hope would be available.

Deos that mean the Curtis Amy is available? Surely this is the only known video of Dupree Bolton. I think there are only 2 sound recordings on which he plays.

I've seen the Curtis Amy and Gerald Wilson, they're quite nice.  The site I linked to has quite an extensive list of jazz on film, there's lots that you'd hope would be available.

Deos that mean the Curtis Amy is available? Surely this is the only known video of Dupree Bolton. I think there are only 2 sound recordings on which he plays.

At some point it was (I borrowed the tape from a board member) but if you notice my post above yours, it appears that something may be happening with Frank Evans and his Frankly Jazz broadcasts.

I occasionally see 2nd-hand video copies of those programmes over here, on the 'TCB-Publishing' imprint. When I see them I invariably pick them up. The 'Jazz Crusaders' and 'Amy/Bolton' sessions are particularly good.

Edited by sidewinder

For one season in the late 40's there was a weekly jazz half hour run by Eddie Condon and his mob. It was in black and white tv and had a shifting mob of faces. One could see almost everyone in the trad or straight ahead jazz world at the time, before the day of commercial tape recorders. More's the pity. :angry: