Booker Ervin Blue Notes

I decided to listen to some Booker Ervin this afternoon. I'd forgotten how good his two Blue Notes, "The In Between" and "Structurally Sound" really are. This is solid stuff. A great, swingin' version of "White Chritmas" on "SS". Also noticed that on "The In Between" the piano chair is occupied by a gentleman by the name of Bobby Few. I don't recall ever hearing of him before.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

" the piano chair is occupied by a gentleman by the name of Bobby Few.  I don't recall ever hearing of him before.

A few years ago I heard part of a solo piece by Bobby Few (didn't catch the title or album) that blew me away. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for more from him ever since. Apparently he didn't record much. But I'm sure there are plenty of folks hanging around here who can fill us in on what the best sources are for more from this guy.

Bobby Few recommendations, please!!!

As much as I wanted to like "Structurally Sound", I just had too much trouble getting into it and finally traded it in. There was something really harsh about it that I couldn't get past.

Of course, 'Structurally Sound' was recorded out on the West Coast by Pacific Jazz so some of that 'vibe' may be a factor.

As much as I wanted to like "Structurally Sound", I just had too much trouble getting into it and finally traded it in. There was something really harsh about it that I couldn't get past.

Of course, 'Structurally Sound' was recorded out on the West Coast by Pacific Jazz so some of that 'vibe' may be a factor.

I don't think so. The original LP had a "harsher" sound than did the BNs of the era. I chalk it up to different engineering/mixing/whatever styles.

The tunes were shorter and less stretched-out on, though, and that I think you can put down to production choices.

Yes, the LP does have a harsher sound than BN's of that era (Dick Bock production I guess). Just picked my Liberty PJ copy of this out of the rack and will give it a spin this afternoon. A nice version of 'Stolen Moments' on this LP, although the version of 'A Train' is a bit throwaway. I see that Ervin insisted that pianist John Hicks be flown in from NYC especially for this session.

Edited by sidewinder

Just revised my opinion significantly upwards on the Ervin version of 'A Train' after giving it another listen. Booker plays superbly on this - as indeed he does throughout the session. He's both very fluent and overflowing with things to say. John Hicks on piano is a major plus factor for the date.

Edited by sidewinder

" the piano chair is occupied by a gentleman by the name of Bobby Few.  I don't recall ever hearing of him before.

A few years ago I heard part of a solo piece by Bobby Few (didn't catch the title or album) that blew me away. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for more from him ever since. Apparently he didn't record much. But I'm sure there are plenty of folks hanging around here who can fill us in on what the best sources are for more from this guy.

Bobby Few recommendations, please!!!

I know I still owe you a short review of that Few solo disc I have, "Continental Jazz Express". However, after two listens, I cannot really say much about it - it failed to instantly grab me, but somehow I don't want to say anything bad about it, either...

Bobby Few? An outstanding pianist whose name may be not very familiar in the States because he has been based in Paris since the late sixties. He played with Steve Lacy's group for some ten years here. Heard him a number of times and he is one of those players who never leave you down!

If you happen to be in New Jersey, try to catch him when he plays in Mapplewood at the end of the month:

http://www.undergroundconcerts.com/bobbyfew.php

Not just the recording quality, but the sound of the band itself (and Booker in particular) were hard to listen to ... for me.

Guest akanalog

If you happen to be in New Jersey, try to catch him when he plays in Mapplewood at the end of the month:

http://www.undergroundconcerts.com/bobbyfew.php

weird. maplewood (well really the town right next door-south orange) is where my parents live and i grew up mostly and i go home a lot and i had no idea about this line of concerts. i still go home a lot so i should try to catch some of this music. i did see ron carter/james williams/tony reedus perform at the south orange local community center a bit back, which i don't think happens in just any town and every year there is a "giants of jazz" concert which i think is put on by ts monk and john lee, who live in south orange. i have seen people like jackie mclean and phil woods and billy drummond all playing together on the stage of my local middle school-it's crazy. but this is interesting some guy who i guess went to my high school puts on shows in the local library basement with fairly big names and this is the first i am hearing of it. i wish newark and east orange-where many big jazz names grew up and which are the bordering town/cities to where i lived-had better jazz scenes these days though. there is a newish cafe in south orange which is putting on some jazz these days and getting names like badal roy and cecil brooks has his place right down the road. not sure if any of these places are doing particularly well though.

not the same but i also discovered this about my town! this is this big house down the street from my parents. always wondered who lived there. guess a cult does.

www.southmont.net

Not just the recording quality, but the sound of the band itself (and Booker in particular) were hard to listen to ... for me.

Do you have Jackie McLean issues as well? I dig the two Booker Conns in much the same way I dig McLean's 60s BNs.

That McLean Mosaic is one of my favorite things- in fact it was the only thing in the changer at work today. 8 straight hours!

I find that it and Structurally Sound (and The In Between) reward repeated listenings like few other things do. Groovy but not too sweet. Inside-Outside but not Out.

Glad you like the McLean, anyway! B-)