A bit of input needed

Chuck, I own a retail store and we accept credit cards with service provided by our bank, and Paypal for our Ebay sales. The fees are about the same for both, but the credit card fees are determined by the volume of business one does - the more volume, the lower the fees. I have been through several providers over the years, with some high fees in the past, but ultimately went with my bank for reasons of convenience.

I have been very satisfied with Paypal - I have yet to have a problem. I have encountered customers who refuse to deal with Paypal, but I have never heard a valid reason other than "I just don't trust them."

As for the NoPaypal website link, if one reads between the lines, it is clear that this is a competitor trying to sell you their service, so I would be suspicious of any claims they make.

Checks are still a valid option, but the risks can be high. Anybody who takes checks will eventually get a bouncer, and the last thing I want to do is chase after somebody! I recommend that you wait several days until the check clears before shipping the merchandise, unless of course you already know the buyer.

Credit cards are necessary in today's retail world - fully one half to two thirds of my retail business is with credit cards - and I couldn't possibly stay in business if I didn't take them. Perhaps you might consider altering your prices to include processing fees.

I would think that if you want to continue to do business with credit card companies, the competition among the processing companies ought to be good enough that if you don't like the deal you've got right now, you can find something better pretty easily.

Of course, that may not be the case for someone who may go several months with no credit card sales - the competition tends to be based on giving reasonable prices to people who are going to make up for it in volume of sales.

Maybe Paypal is the best compromise, I've certainly used it without hesitation for quite a while now. And I even gave them my bank #, so I have the option of not adding to my debts when I can.

Although I only once bought something from you directly, I chime in... For me, both is fine, although I think PayPal would be my preferred option - it works faster and is easier than sending CC info by email (which presumably is not such a good thing, anyway...)

Agree with Ubu about CC!

What I do when I have to send my CC information via e-mail is to send it in two different messages. Not totally sure if this is helpful, anyway...

Yes, I do it that way, too, but still...

On the other hand, it's irrational... Amazon and other such sites have all that info saved for eternity, and I guess they *could* be hacked, too, so...

Agree with Ubu about CC!

What I do when I have to send my CC information via e-mail is to send it in two different messages. Not totally sure if this is helpful, anyway...

Yes, I do it that way, too, but still...

On the other hand, it's irrational... Amazon and other such sites have all that info saved for eternity, and I guess they *could* be hacked, too, so...

Yes. I´m sure millions of hackers have my CC information. Thank goodness they can´t steal too much... :P

Hey, I love checks. Not a problem. I have not had a bounced check in over 10 years so I never hold an order up to wait. Guess I'm in trouble now. B-)

I signed up for a PayPal merchant account today. It takes a couple of days to verify the bank account info 'til that is a "go". My MC/Visa account is still good 'til the first of the month and maybe a month beyond that.

I expect the Diz/Bird to hit the door in the next 10 days, have a new Okka/Brotzmann, the catalogs of Uptown and Okka Disc AND Nessa recordings for sale. :)

Thanks to all Organissimers (?!) for the feedback.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Hey, I love checks. Not a problem. I have not had a bounced check in over 10 years so I never hold an order up to wait. Guess I'm in trouble now. B-)

I signed up for a PayPal merchant account today. It takes a couple of days to verify the bank account info 'til that is a "go". My MC/Visa account is still good 'til the first of the month and maybe a month beyond that.

I expect the Diz/Bird to hit the door in the next 10 days, have a new Okka/Brotzmann, the catalogs of Uptown and Okka Disc AND Nessa recordings for sale. :)

Thanks to all Organissimers (?!) for the feedback.

Chuck, can you post your available catalog if it's not too voluminous? Uncle Sam was good to me this year and I might want some stuff. Thanks much.

Chuck, can you post your available catalog if it's not too voluminous? Uncle Sam was good to me this year and I might want some stuff. Thanks much.

Rather than take "even more" advantage of Jim's generosity, I won't do that.

Anyone interested in "word file" lists of my offerings should send an email to me at cnessa@earthlink.net.

Thanks again Jim.