1970's Guilty Pleasures

I was just indulging in some 70s "guilty pleasure" the other day. I still like this guy:

f65776z3kre.jpg

So sue me. :g

I admit it. I'm a big Gino Vannelli fan too.

He played the Montreal Jazz Festival about 4 years ago supported by a bunch of French or French Canadian jazz musicians including Paul Brochu and Alain Caron of Uzeb. It was a kick ass show!

I'm a Gino fan too. Brother to Brother knocked me out when I first heard it. When was that, '74 or '75? I was going on a solo road trip about a year ago and, among other things, I bought a Vanelli greatest hits package to help pass the time. Still sounds pretty good to these well traveled ears

Another '70's group I really liked was Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, the one that featured Teddy Pendergrass on lead vocals. Man, those guys could make some serious music. As a matter of fact that whole of Philadelphia soul sound...the Gamble & Huff stuff, was dynamite.

Up over and out.

ELO's OUT OF THE BLUE is an excellent 1970s album. It contains 'Sweet Talkin' Woman', the song I blame for getting me interested in rock-n-roll music.

If I remember correctly, this was a two record set that opened in the middle. When I purchased the title on CD it was a single CD without much album art. I miss records only for the album art and the fun extras (such as posters) one might find within the package.

Remember The Rolling Stones' STICKY FINGERS record? It had a real zipper on the cover. Remember Led Zeppelin's IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR that was wrapped in a paper bag?

Do falsetto harmony groups like the Chi-Lites, the Stylistics, the Delfonics, or Blue Magic count?

I guess not.

I pretty much agree with the following:

Soul Stream Posted on May 18 2005, 07:13 PM

Dude, I think you're late. Guilty Pleasures are 80's fodder now. Don't you know how fast pop culture returns?

...70's is considered classic and cool. 80's is guilty pleasure material now. "

For me, '80s music was what drove me into the arms of jazz forever. (though there were and are a few bands from that era that I respect, I hate the way most of that era's music was recorded. Ultra-loud, gated drum samples, along with super-cheesy synths, GET MY GOAT!

Add me to the guilty ones as far as 'Off The Wall' is concerned. I thought it was a great album easily his best ever. :party:

Generally I think 70's pop and so called ' soul' music was a giant step backwards from the 60's, all that disco and strings crap. If the 60's was Sam & Dave, the 70's was Barry White.

• 1 month later...

Okay. . . .

For me, Ohio Players.

I especially dig The Ohio Players. "Far East Mississippi" is a DEEP Groove. Nothing guilty about that.

Add me to the guilty ones as far as 'Off The Wall' is concerned. I thought it was a great album easily his best ever. :party:

Generally I think 70's pop and so called ' soul' music was a giant step backwards from the 60's, all that disco and strings crap. If the 60's was Sam & Dave, the 70's was Barry White.

I agree in regards to Off the Wall.

1970s was Al Green, too. And some of Marvin Gaye's finest work. As Stan Lee often put it "'nuff said."

And Barry White, "unashamed monument to bulbosity" that he was (thanks, Lester Bangs), was an innovative producer in his early days. Once he left funk behind and succumbed to the disco beat, however, he lost it IMHO. And I say that as someone who appreciates rather than reviles disco as a genre.

88577.jpg

The CAHs, as we say here in Boston. Some fine, if shallow, pop music.

the '70s were GREAT compared to the '80s.

Edited by Kalo