Blue Note reissues, June 7

Big Al

From Alan's website (apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere):

Cannonball Adderley - Cannonball In Europe (Blue Note Records) June 7

— Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone), Yusef Lateef (tenor saxophone, flute, oboe), Nat Adderley (cornet), Joe Zawinul (piano), Sam Jones (acoustic bass), Louis Hayes (drums); 1962

June Christy - Ballads For Night People (Blue Note Records) June 7

— reissue of 1959 Capitol LP; arrangements by Bob Cooper

— musicians include Cooper, Frank Rosolini, Bud Shank, Buddy Collette, Joe Castro, Red Callender, Stan Levey, Mel Lewis and others

— also includes five tracks from 1961's "Do-Re-Mi"

The Jazz Crusaders - The Festival Session (Blue Note Records) June 7

— reissue of 1967 Pacific Jazz LP recorded at 1966 Newport & Pacific Jazz Festivals

— also includes two previously unreleased bonus tracks recorded in 1968 at Shelly's Manne-Hole

— Joe Sample, Stix Hooper, Wayne Henderson, Wilton Felder

Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra - Live At The Village Vanguard (Blue Note Records) June 7

— reissue of 1967 Solid State LP; with three previously unreleased bonus tracks

— musicians include trumpeters Snooky Young, Marvin Stamm and Richard Williams, valve trombonist Bob Brookmeyer, the reeds of Jerome Richardson, Jerry Dodgion, Joe Farrell, Eddie Daniels and Pepper Adams, pianist Roland Hanna and bassist Richard Davis and others; arrangements by Thad Jones, Bob Brookmeyer and Garnett Brown

Stan Kenton - Viva Kenton (Blue Note Records) June 7

— reissue of 1959 Capitol LP; with six bonus tracks arrangements by Gene Roland;

— soloists include Charlie Mariano, Don Sebesky and Rolf Ericson

— includes bonus material from 1963's "Artistry in Bossa Nova"

Johnny Smith - Walk Don't Run! (Blue Note Records) June 7

— compilation of two Roost 10-inch LPs

I'm looking forward to the Jones/Lewis, Crusaders, and Johnny Smith discs. I've heard that the Jones/Lewis set SMOKES!!!

In my opinion all the Cannball Riverside/Landmarks are great.  This one. . .well it's a different feel than Jazz Workshop Revisited, but great playing from all concerned.

My Cannonball collection is embarrassingly small (only 6 or 7 cds with him as a leader, I think) so I have some serious work ahead of me over the next few years.

Guy

In my opinion all the Cannball Riverside/Landmarks are great.  This one. . .well it's a different feel than Jazz Workshop Revisited, but great playing from all concerned.

My Cannonball collection is embarrassingly small (only 6 or 7 cds with him as a leader, I think) so I have some serious work ahead of me over the next few years.

Guy

Well, it shouldn't be "serious work."

Cannon's music always had an element of fun and excitement within and it will turn out to be FUN to get caught up!

True, a good number of 'em are of the 'low key' variety but the overall excellent sonic quality gives them that extra shot of 'juice'. Snoozy and juiced up I like......snoozy and thin sounding (as I imagine those Roosts are) might not be as appealing to moi. Then again, I don't suppose anything can come out of the RVG workshop sounding too thin these days, eh? :)

Well to be honest, the Venuses don't seem that great sounding to ME. Part of the snooziness is the rather placid sound. And the Smith Roosts probably won't sound thin; the Addey remastered Mosaic sounds EXCELENT, and I imagine the cd will be from these remasterings.

But that's just me, to each their own and then some (no wait, it's Democrats that believe in individualism,* I keep forgetting!) B-)

*According to Dean on Meet the Press yesterday.

Edited by jazzbo

Well to be honest, the Venuses don't seem that great sounding to ME.

Careful. Don't let Dr. Jeff hear you say that or he'll likely pull you into the studio and put the hurt on you & make you listen to Roland Hanna's gorgeous 'Dream' over and over and over again 'till he breaks you! :o

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...=0entry361633

Nope. 40's glamor dolls do nothing for me. Berigan is the one who gets all excited over those.

I just don't dig the sound of those Venuses as much as I dig the sound of other labels. And I haven't been wowed by too many of the performances.

You might like the Johnny Smith however.