Blue Note reissues, June 7

Big Al

I'm not too sure about the Cannonball but what the hell, I'll get it. The one I definitely won't be picking up is Johnny Smith; he's just too laid back for me. I've got the Moonlight in Vermont they put out separate from the Mosaic and while one is ok, I can't see buying another.

Might pick up the June Christy. Would like to check her out. Plus the others on the list too, esp. Jones/Lewis.

June Christy - Ballads For Night People (Blue Note Records) June 7

— reissue of 1959 Capitol LP; arrangements by Bob Cooper

— musicians include Cooper, Frank Rosolini, Bud Shank, Buddy Collette, Joe Castro, Red Callender, Stan Levey, Mel Lewis and others

— also includes five tracks from 1961's "Do-Re-Mi"

The Do-Re-Mi tracks are not part of the Kenton presents Mosaic (MD4-185). Only the non-vocal tracks w/ Cooper are included. Nice stuff! :tup

Skipped this thread, since I won't buy these (don't want the cheap copycrap, won't pay the too high shipping costs of Amazon or CDUniverse), *but* that Cannonball is one of his greatest, in my opinion! Check out Brother Yusef tearing it up with his oboe on "Trouble in Mind" - WHOAH! Only him and the rhythm section, as funky as you can get with an oboe, I assume... that cut is, as the saying goes, da shit! (and believe me, that is mildly put!)

Aha - yes, that's the one I was thinking of. I think the original was put out on Dutch Fontana or Phillips, can't quite recall which. Don't think it was Riverside.

I don't know. What I do know is that it was one of those recordings Cannonball took with him when he went to Capitol (thus the title of the [7CD] "series" on BN).

The same version that I have the LP of also was out on CD (all 7 albums were reissued by Landmark, probably still somehow associated to Riverside/Fantasy, with some short note by Keepnews explaing the origin of these dates).

I cannot understand why Blue Note waited so long before finishing the run with this fantastic album - I would have released this one way before the JWS, Bossa, Poll-Winner & Kelly Quartet albums!

I used to have an lp version and thought it was Riverside.

According to discographies it was out on Riverside via Riverside RLP 499. Of course in Europe it could have been out on another label.

Edited by jazzbo

Yes, but then my LP (it's from 1987, Landmark LLP-1307) says "first american release"... right on the front cover!

From Keepnews' blurb on the back of the LP: "...remained in limbo for two decades, neglected and almost literally forgotten. What had happened was that in the mid-Sixties, following the shut-down of the Riverside operation, Cannonball gained ownership of about half his output for them. He turned these masters over to Capitol, for whom he was then recording. They did briefly reintroduce just a few selections, but then Adderley left that company and eventually, like more than one major label, they stopped issuing jazz. In effect, Capitol had no use for this material, no staff members still familiar with it - actually no compelling reason to remain aware of its existence."

And then he goes on telling how he is the best and has so many compelling reasons not only to remain aware but to actually release them on his own imprint, Landmark. He brags about Cannon being his colleague, him having produced almost all Cannon dates, and hiom being co-founder of the label... he the best ;)

The hard facts, again quoted from the back of the sleeve:

"Cannonball in Europe!" originally issued in Europe on Riverside 499 (mono) and 9499 (stereo). never previously reissued. NEVER PREVIOUSLY AVAILABLE IN THE UNITED STATES.
(italics and capitals just as on the sleeve)

That seems to make a bit more sense with my own recollections. I suspect that original issue might have been Dutch Riverside. Quite rare, in any case.

Could be... the engineer has a Dutch name (Rudie van Lieshout) - maybe this was initially a radio recording?

That seems to make a bit more sense with my own recollections. I suspect that original issue might have been Dutch Riverside. Quite rare, in any case.

Could be... the engineer has a Dutch name (Rudie van Lieshout) - maybe this was initially a radio recording?

This was originally issued on Dutch Riverside and also on French Riverside. With the same cover. The two Riverside operations were part of the Interdisc company. Both versions are pretty rare indeed!

This was originally issued on Dutch Riverside and also on French Riverside. With the same cover. The two Riverside operations were part of the Interdisc company. Both versions are pretty rare indeed!

So Riverside had French and Dutch operations, or were there some guys that had a deal and were allowed to use the Riverside label record some of their artists?