Thad Jones/ Mel Lewis Mosaic

I can't really comment on whether the set is "worth" what it sells for, money wise, but musically it is one of my top 3-5 favorite Mosaics. It just really strikes a chord with me. It's true the first half is strongest but with a standard that high that is hardly a slight of the rest of the material. To me, it's all essential music.

To address someone's earlier question about reverb: by my recollection, there is a note somewhere in the booklet about reverb having been largely removed for the Mosaic remastering but I can't say 100% for sure until checking when I get home.

Yes, it's removed on the Mosaic. Seeing this thread made me dig out the Mosaic LP set this afternoon and I can vouch that the sound on these Q-LPs is pretty damn good. No noticeable reverb.

I agree with your verdict on this set - I'd probably put it in my top 5 too and I would also agree that the first few LPs hit the peak. Precision, incredible swing and enthusiastic playing sum it up for me.

Edited by sidewinder

Sidewinder - I bought mine back when I didn't even own a turntable...so mine is the CD version. Man, if those are going for $400 I don't even want to KNOW what your LP set is worth (not that you'd ever sell it I'm sure)!!!

Someday I hope to pick up that Q-LP version...

sidewinder Posted Today, 02:33 PM

Well....... the reverb certainly isn't there on my single CD of 'Consummation'. I don't have the rest in single CD format so can't comment for sure but would be amazed if the reverb was left in.

Did Mosaic include a bonus disc for completists with only the reverb that was removed from the other discs?

Sidewinder - I bought mine back when I didn't even own a turntable...so mine is the CD version. Man, if those are going for $400 I don't even want to KNOW what your LP set is worth (not that you'd ever sell it I'm sure)!!!

Someday I hope to pick up that Q-LP version...

DrJ - they are around.. :) Good luck in getting hold of it, I just VPI'd the LPs the other day and they sound great. I too got hold of the CD set first (which I still own and play, just love this set) but it was nice to get the vinyl. You shouldn't have to pay any more than $300-400 for sure.

Edited by sidewinder

Just a mention also that there is a great DVD in the 'Jazz Casual' series with Thad & Mel from 1968. This has some of the tunes on the Mosaic:

Tracks are:

'Just Blues'

'St Louis Blues'

'Kids Are Pretty People'

The disk also has a broadcast of the Woody Herman 1960s Herd on it. Unmissable..

So if I understand half the set is still out in print as individual CD's???? I just bought the Village Vanguard set and liked it...

How come this one wasn't included???

Presenting Joe Williams & Thad Jones/Mel...

Jones, Thad / Mel Lewis Orchestra / Williams, Joe

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...253331350&bab=E

Too late?? What time period did the box set cover???

How do you like the single two other CD's that are out? (Other than the Vanguard set - : Consummation & Central Park North? Worth getting?)

great price at cduniverse... less than $10 each...

Hmm..... get half the Mosaic set (no booklet) for $30 or pay 10 times that for the full set on e-bay...

Must be that fuzzy math again...

:excited:

As well as the Joe Williams session there's also the album Thad & Mel did with Ruth Brown, also left off of the Mosaic set. Both of these, although excellent, extensively feature the vocalists so I guess that's why they weren't included.

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know whether Monday Night! will be released as a single CD? I recall someone posting that MC says everything eventually gets rereleased. Second, if a CD issue isn't in the near (3 year) horizon, does the LP have as much reverb as some of the other dates? I would hope not, being a live (or "live") show, but don't have any way to verify. Thanks!

How do you like the single two other CD's that are out? (Other than the Vanguard set - : Consummation & Central Park North? Worth getting?)

great price at cduniverse... less than $10 each...

Hmm..... get half the Mosaic set (no booklet) for  $30 or pay 10 times that for the full set on e-bay...

Must be that fuzzy math again...

:excited:

I mentioned this on the Yourmusic thread, but it can go here as well. Yourmusic.com has both Consummation and Central Park North for $5.99 each. I'm still kicking myself (a little bit) for paying $10 for CPN at the B*%&rds.

• 4 weeks later...