I think we're back online!

Wow. That took me awhile to figure out. Anyway, everything is transfered. For some reason when I transfered the site from the old server to the new via FTP, it added capital first letters to some directories / file names, which was causing problems with the board software.

If you're having any problem, let me know, please!!! Thanks!

Wow.  That took me awhile to figure out.  Anyway, everything is transfered.  For some reason when I transfered the site from the old server to the new via FTP, it added capital first letters to some directories / file names, which was causing problems with the board software.

If you're having any problem, let me know, please!!!  Thanks!

:party::party::party: Yipee!!!

I've been browsing around for ten minutes now and it's working great. Very fast response. :tup

This will be a test of the reply function ... and of my favorite new smilies:

:crazy: <--- me when the board was down.

and something for jazzmoose: :rofl:

Thanks for all the hard work!

Steve Hoffman is an asshole with a capital A. I had some dealings on his lame board which resulted in him slagging me on the forum, then having me banned. He was basically making light of American casualties, and I called him on it. I have been USAF for fifteen years, and old Steve-o can remaster all the Foghat records he wants, but the son of a bitch can't belittle dead soldiers. Got PM's from one of his lackeys............replied in a go to Hell fashion. Here's a fun post from another forum which I agree with 110%!!!!

Posted by Elektra2001 on May 17, 2005 at 16:41:38

Hi,

I'm mostly a lurker everywhere I go. This includes, natch, places I guess I shouldn't be in the first place.

I spent quite some time at the Steve Hoffman forums. These are my impressions... in case I'm wrong, I'll be very happy to stand corrected.

1. Steve Hoffman himself. He is an incredible and talented mastering engineer, but his attitude, frankly, sucks. He seems to believe he is head and shoulders above the rest, mistreating members and usually posting questionable stuff (which, later, gets deleted).

2. The set up for discussions. You can't make snide remarks to other members. Unless you are a friend of Steve. In which case, you can post ugly stuff (really ugly). Case in point: AF & DCC's owner, Marshall Blonstein, made a post via Steve Hoffman telling all members basically to stop posting about the defects his CD's had, implying that he would not approve of any particular member who said otherwise. Every member responded by posting "for the record, I didn't say anything bad about you". Pathetic.

3. The way all people seem to talk about CD's and remasters. There are NO good CD's by any other engineers other than Steve Hoffman. If you ask for a particular album, regarding mastering choices, the standard answer is "Get Steve's, it's the best one". While explaining that due to lack of funds this is not an option, people get rabid and post back stuff like "don't waste of time with the rest, they all suck". Pretty helpful (not), if you ask me.

4. MoFi / other labels' bashing. Most people reject any Mobile Fidelity album, posting negative and sometimes untrue information about them. 90% of the members can swear every MoFi CD has a "smiley face" equalization (whatever that means). Most of them say they don't "sound like the master tape at all" (I have to wonder how many of them actually have heard the master tape). Everyone accuses MoFi of cheating, lying, or something else. Without any proof at all.

5. The overall "Holier than thou" attitude. Although religion talk is forbidden, Steve and people of his religion continuosly break the rule, talking about their own political / religious points of view, while other members that share Steve's faith impose their own beliefs unto everyone else (and if you fight back, it's a safe thing to say that you'll be banned).

What is mostly right...

1. The moderator team. Most moderators are very nice persons and do not take their job as a way to impose their views upon others.

I can't think of anything else.

I'm just pretty disappointed at that place. It could be a very interesting source of information and discussion, if it wasn't a place where most people carry on happy masks at all times.

The amount of ass kissing there is RIDICULOUS. Plain and simple. I think the damn place would shut the Hell down if they were told NOT TO POST ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT THE BEATLES!!!! Being a Jazz fan first and foremost, I spend more time here anyway...............and have yet to have anyone make wiseass statements about dead GI's. I am military, and DO NOT AGREE WITH THE WAR OR THE CURRENT REGIME, but damned if I'd stoop to ragging on my brothers and sisters in uniform, especially the ones that are gone.

Edited by pasta

Pasta, while I didn't see the "making light of casualties" stuff, I agree. The typical thread over there seems to run along the line of...

"Mr. Hoffman's shit don't stink."

"I agree, his shit is totally stink free."

"I thought I smelled something once, but I was mistaken."

"You are banned for daring to doubt."

I'm sure he is an excellent engineer, and I'm sure his remastering of the Bay City Rollers catalog is fantastic, but I'll pass... :g

I'm sure he is an excellent engineer, and I'm sure his remastering of the Bay City Rollers catalog is fantastic, but I'll pass... :g

Just to be fair, he is in the process of mastering 100 jazz/blues titles from the Fantasy catalog. I think he's on number 51 at the moment. I could go into more detail on the other jazz titles he's done, but it would be boring and a very long post.

Edited by wolff