2005 NBA Championship

Who's Gonna Win The Championship  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, but I'll be pulling for SA.

Now, in terms of next year, watch out for the team that was actually the hottest in the league during the final month of this season...

THE GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS!!

:cool::crazy::rofl: ... :mellow: Hey, I was serious. <_<

:rlol

Now, in terms of next year, watch out for the team that was actually the hottest in the league during the final month of this season...

:cool:  :crazy:  :rofl:  ...  :mellow:  Hey, I was serious.  <_<

I'm a big GSW fan too... they weren't quite as hot as Denver near the end, but they were pretty damn good. Assuming that Baron Davis stays healthy for 85-90% of the season and that Mullin doesn't make any bonehead decisions like he did last summer, they could very well make the playoffs. Of course, knowing the W's track record, I won't get my hopes up. :blink:

Guy

You know the Warriors winning percentage for the Baron Davis part of the season was equal to 57 wins proacted for the whole season. That is easily good enough for the 4 spot in any year.

It's rare for Warriors fans to actually KNOW we have a chance to be good next season. Been a long wait! :)

I'm really looking forward to this series. Two great teams, and the coaches are pals and share similar perspectives on the game of basketball. I voted for my guys, the Detroit Pistons, but I really don't know which team will triumph at this point (does anybody?).

In my opinion, anyone who would find the prospect of this series "boring" is not a true aficianado of the game, is very provincial, and/or has attention deficit disorder. :cool:;)

I also think it's been too long since the Warriors have been contenders, btw. Next year, I expect that there will be a lot of flux in the NBA.

Props to Doug Collins for giving the Pistons some respect that they still get toooo rarely on national tv and elsewhere in the media. I suspect that this sorry state of affairs will continue, even if the Pistons prevail through these finals

"NBA's Most Mysterious Superstar" - by Chris Ballard, SI.com

Imagine a parallel universe in which Tim Duncan was the most popular player in the NBA. The streets would be dotted with black No. 21 Spurs jerseys, sportscasters would refer to him, shorthand, as "T-Dunc" or "Tim-peccable"; a sports drink would pump the jingle, "I Want to Get to the Rim like Tim!" and, across the gyms and blacktops of America, teenagers would catch the ball on the left block, mechanically turn, fire up a bank shot and then yell, "I just went TD on your ass!" He would have his own best-selling highlight video (Come Jump Hook With Me), nappy half-beards would be the rage and, instead of sticking out their tongues, youngsters would mimic the Duncan Blank Stare after made baskets.

But, of course, that is not the case. Rather, Duncan is referred to as a 'superstar' primarily by the few companies that he does represent, a not-so-klieg-light coalition of the ad community that includes H-E-B stores (Don't know what that means? You're not alone -- it's a grocery store chain in Texas and Mexico.), a video game called "Backyard Basketball" and forever-destined-to-be-a-soccer-company-or-a-dirty-acronym Adidas. Some commentators, especially those named "Skip Bayless," argue that Duncan is not a superstar because he is not exciting to watch. This very Web site, back in 2003, wrote a story called "Sports' Most Boring Superstars," in which the author listed the 'most yawn-inducing superstars' and put Duncan at the top, writing that his "Claim to Lame," is that "we'd rather have Shaq over for dinner." (Duncan, who has a dry sense of humor when he shows it, once said of his famously bland quotes, ""Wasn't I on SI.com's all-boring team? I'm at the top of my game, baby!")

Regardless, there is no disputing that Duncan is less visible, and less popular, than most NBA stars. Despite being a two-time league MVP, owner of two championship rings, and an all-the-time, All-NBA selection, he was eclipsed in popularity in the span of one season by Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James when the duo entered the league, and he will never be as recognizable a star as Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan or Allen Iverson.

Why is this?

Let's start with the obvious. He's not American, or at least not mainland American (he was born in the Virgin Islands); he plays in a small market; he plays the least-flashy position in the NBA (calling him what he really is, a center); he shows no emotion on the court or with the press -- "a paragon of anticharisma," as S.L. Price called him in a laudatory SI Sportsman of the Year feature in '03 -- and he doesn't make highlight-worthy plays, at least as judged by the arbiters of such worthiness, those tape-winders at sports networks.

Of course, this is exactly why many basketball aficionados love Duncan. He functions as a filter of sorts; if you are a true fan, you will appreciate the soundness of his game and find the beauty in his bank shot, his drop step, the way he rarely leaves his feet on defense. He is the anti-Vinsanity. New Jersey's Vince Carter is a player whose attributes are so wildly obvious, and acrobatic, that his myriad deficiencies are harder to spot to the novice fan. More than that, a player such as Vince -- a perennial vote-leader in the All-Star balloting -- is good at the things that are easiest for a casual fan to spot: dunking, making crazy shots and, well, jumping really high. If Carter is the wine cooler of the league, all sweetness and bubbles, palatable to even a 16-year-old, then Duncan is the aged Cabernet. You may not appreciate him at first, but, once your taste is refined, you understand what you were missing.

Still, there is another, simpler reason why Duncan is not more popular: He doesn't want to be. That's why he offers up meaningless quotes in a monotone voice, why he turns down offers to be on magazine covers flexing his bicep, why he is perfectly happy with the fact that you may know nothing, or next to nothing, about his family and his personal life. Think about it: He's one of the best, if not the best, player in the NBA, he's winning championships, he's getting paid like a Sultan and he's playing for the best organization in the league. What is another $10 million in endorsements going to do for his life? How are more screaming fans going to make him happier? Why in the world would he want to be a superstar, if what we really mean by that -- and by 'we' I mean the media and the fans -- is a marketable superstar? It may seem unlikely in celebrity-saturated America, but Duncan is opting out of the culture of idolatry. And, in spite of his superior skills, that may be the most remarkable thing about him.

Edited by Aggie87

Partial quote from SEK

In my opinion, anyone who would find the prospect of this series "boring" is not a true aficianado of the game, is very provincial, and/or has attention deficit disorder. :cool:;)

All of the above.

After "careful" consideration I'm for Detroit since my son's wife is originally from there.

Average total score per game will probably be 150 points. :P:crazy::wacko:

Edited by jlhoots

I'm a big GSW fan too... they weren't quite as hot as Denver near the end, but they were pretty damn good. Assuming that Baron Davis stays healthy for 85-90% of the season and that Mullin doesn't make any bonehead decisions like he did last summer, they could very well make the playoffs. Of course, knowing the W's track record, I won't get my hopes up. :blink:

Guy

My bad. I had forgotten about Denver, who were 17-3 in their final 20 ( :huh::excl: ), compared to the Warriors 15-5). Anyway, as Jazzdog said, the W's record (15-7, or .682) with Davis projected out to a full season would have been 57 wins (they lost their first two with him, so if you think of that as a "breaking in" period, their 15-5, or .750 would project out to 62 wins :excited: ). Wow... I almost feel like I'm dreaming... :huh: ...

Hey, cut me a little slack here. It's been a LONG time since Run TMC and the Don Nelson / Chris Webber feud, ya know?!? :rcry:(

My bad.  I had forgotten about Denver, who were 17-3 in their final 20 ( :huh::excl: ), compared to the Warriors 15-5).  Anyway, as Jazzdog said, the W's record (15-7, or .682) with Davis projected out to a full season would have been 57 wins (they lost their first two with him, so if you think of that as a "breaking in" period, their 15-5, or .750 would project out to 62 wins :excited: ).  Wow... I almost feel like I'm dreaming... :huh: ...

Hey, cut me a little slack here.  It's been a LONG time since Run TMC and the Don Nelson / Chris Webber feud, ya know?!?  :rcry  :(

I wouldn't project the Baron record over the whole season, after all we don't expect Denver to win 66 games next year... But I think as it stands the team is good enough to probably win 42-50 games, good enough to contend for a 6-8 playoff spot. Now if they could only get rid of Foyle. And maybe Fisher and Murphy's oversized contracts.

Guy

I wouldn't project the Baron record over the whole season, after all we don't expect Denver to win 66 games next year...  But I think as it stands the team is good enough to probably win 42-50 games, good enough to contend for a 6-8 playoff spot.

Oh, did you have to be so damned realistic about it? <_<

:lol:

Of the three players you mention, I think Fisher is the most expendible. He was really erratic this year. Foyle is a decent defensive role player, and I like Murph for a lot of reasons. Anyway, with the chemistry they had going at the end of the year, I'd hate to see them change anything. I know we're not going to be an upper echelon team just yet, but I'm looking forward to next year anyway... I want to see some more 110, 115, 120 point games. :cool:

Here's what Tradesports is currently predicting:

FINAL.4GAMES.PISTONS 1.5-2.5

FINAL.5GAMES.PISTONS 9.0-9.3

FINAL.6GAMES.PISTONS 9.8-10.9

FINAL.7GAMES.PISTONS 11.0-11.4

FINAL.4GAMES.SPURS 9.0-9.4

FINAL.5GAMES.SPURS 13.6-14.2

FINAL.6GAMES.SPURS 25.0-25.9

FINAL.7GAMES.SPURS 22.1-22.9

2005 NBA Championship Winner

NBA.SPURS 70.5-71.1

NBA.PISTONS 29.6-29.8

NBA.SPURS 70.5-71.1

NBA.PISTONS 29.6-29.8

:blink: What does all that even mean?!

NBA.SPURS 70.5-71.1

NBA.PISTONS 29.6-29.8

:blink: What does all that even mean?!

If the outcome specified by one of those contracts is realized, you get paid $1. So you can buy/sell a contract that the Pistons will sweep the Spurs for a price between 1.5 and 2.5 cents. (The high price is the cheapest "sell" offer currently on the market; the low price is the highest "buy" offer currently on the market.)

Basically the numbers reflect the probabilities the market places on these outcomes. For example, say you can buy a Pistons in 4 contract for 2 cents. In the case where the Pistons don't sweep, you win nothing. In the case where the Pistons do sweep, you win a $1. 2% * $1 + 98% * $0 = $0.02

Guy