Weird

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, it's been a while since I listened to this set. Think I'll give 'er a spin tonight. One of the reasons I like jazz boards - nudges you to reaching for something that you haven't spun in a while.

There is a certain logic to make sure that their regular customers have a chance to order the set. However, as Kevin says, two sets? The way around this is to check the name of anybody ordering multiple sets in the computers. I'm sure Dimitry's name is in their computer as a regular.

I think that the main reason for this limit by customer for this last chance set is ... eBay. On the other thread about the Byrd/Adams they mention that someone bought 6 copies and where will go at least five of theses copies ?? ... eBay for sure (OOP = $$$).

Truth. That's exactly what I'm saying.

And... your guess would be incorrect. It's not the fault nor the responsibility of Mosaic to make sure that 'I' get a copy of a certain title before it goes out of print. It's the responsibility of 'me' and me alone. If a single purchaser comes along with the money and the desire to have, say, the last 100 sets... Mosaic should sell the sets to that excellent customer. The more Mosaic sells, the more profitable the company is, hopefully, and the more new sets the company can introduce to sell to me.

Okay, my mistake - you wouldn't be pissed off, but instead pleased that the entrepreneurial spirit lives and breathes. But I, for one, am glad that other sentiments sometimes prevail in the business world. (And apparently, Mosaic agrees that isn't too cool for others to reap exorbitant profits on their material.)

Lastly, I'm not sure what's up with your assessment of "responsibilities" and "shoulds" in this case. Their business, their policies. Are you arguing ethics here, or sound business practice? Mosaic seems on solid ground either way.

Edited by gdogus

Before anyone thinks I'm blasting Mosaic for this goofy policy, has anyone thought, "Well, why the hell didn't they just hold off on announcing "Last Chance" on the website until they send out a catalog telling their customers that it's going on "Last Chance"?

Well, I have.

I think it's fantastic that Mosaic thinks of us poor sclubs and holds back some sets until the catalog comes out. But the real question is, will it make it? There's no guarantee, even with a "one per customer" limit. I've seen posts here at Organissimo, Jazz Corner and The Steve Hoffman forums. It's likely that this is what's driving the "30 per day" sales.

Instead, they risk alienating Internet mavens like us loonies, who check the "Last Chance" area daily. :)

I think they should let 'em fly out the door. But then again, I ain't the boss.

Kevin

I think it's hard to be right or wrong on this issue. Yes, we're all responsible for making sure that we get a copy of it before it goes OOP. OTOH, I don't see anything wrong with Mosaic making sure that the right people get it. After all, they're not out there to subsidize big profits. People can have the foresight to buy and hold.

Yesterday, after receiving the above-mentioned email from Mosaic I ordered 3 Byrd/Pepper sets, 1 for myself, 1 as a present for someone and 1 for an acquantance overseas who has no credit card. I placed 3 separate orders and used my work and home addresses for shipping. All 3 orders went through.

Bizarre - I can't order 2 Mosaic Byrd/Pepper sets in one order, but ordering 3 sets in 3 separate orders is OK.

Of course I had to pay for shipping 3 times, instead of one, and lost a few dollars on that, but I don't mind.

Bottom-line - I could have ordered 10 Byrd/Pepper sets if I wanted to use 10 different shipping addresses in 10 different orders, I suppose. So much for the Mosaic "one customer-one set" directive.

I placed 3 separate orders and used my work and home addresses for shipping. All 3 orders went through. Bizarre - I can't order 2 Mosaic Byrd/Pepper sets in one order, but ordering 3 sets in 3 separate orders is OK.

I wonder if you could have used the same address as long as you made three separate orders? :huh:

Slightly off-topic, but I'm fascinated by how quickly prices go up on EBay for recently OOP Mosaics. I can understand those that have been gone for a long time (Hill, Young, etc), but paying a premium for something that went OOP only months earlier? Did people suddenly become huge Morgan/Shorter or Chambers/Kelly fans, or is it just speculation that prices will rise even more in the future?

People paying full-price (or more!) for still-in-print Mosaics and Selects makes me wonder if they just aren't aware that they can be purchased direct.

I agree with wesbed's point that Mosaic is really under no obligation to make sure long-term customers get any special treatment, but it sure is nice that they appear to be trying!

I too had a kink when I ordered my copy last Fiday.

When it came to check-out time, I was informed there were no shipping details available and that shipping would be sorted out later.

I immediately sent an email requesting express air; the email was acknowledged, so I presume it it has been shipped - although normally I would've received it by now.

They've sent it surface. I'm extremely pissed off.

Edited by kenny weir

Michel - going to the jazz festival? I've made my plans to be there from June 30 - July 4. I'm dissappointed a little in that I'm going to miss all the Pat Metheny performances

Sure Ed ! Among others will see Hargrove, Blanchard, Toots (with Pat Metheny), Charles Lloyd and since I'm a fan of Italian jazz, will be there for the Rava Quintet at the Spectrum and Paolo Fresu at the intimate Salle du Gésu. Great time in perspective :party:

And between shows will be home listening to Byrd-Adams Mosaic :g:g

...my guess is that you'd be pissed off.

Are you arguing ethics here, or sound business practice?

I'm arguing that your guess that I'd be pissed off is incorrect. :mellow:

Well, see, you appear to be arguing something much broader than that. You said:

It's not the fault nor the responsibility of Mosaic to make sure that 'I' get a copy of a certain title before it goes out of print. It's the responsibility of 'me' and me alone. If a single purchaser comes along with the money and the desire to have, say, the last 100 sets... Mosaic should sell the sets to that excellent customer.

Now, I'm fascinated by this leap between what you perceive to be a business's lack of "responsibility" (i.e., obligation) in a certain situation, and what they "should" alternatively do. That is, you suggest they have no obligation to look out for any particular customer's interests, and therefore they are obligated to sell to just anyone. I just don't see why that should be the case.

And so I asked , is your contention about what Mosaic "should" do an argument about sound business ethics (Mosaic's sense of conscience), or about sound business practice (Mosaic's bottom line)?

The context was provided in the part of my posts that you neglected to quote.

Edited by gdogus

Well, see, you appear to be arguing something much broader than that.

If this is how my words appear to you then, yes, I agree. I apologize if I didn't present my words in a clearer manner.

I'm arguing only with your guess that I'd be pissed off. You guessed incorrectly. I would not be pissed off.

The remainder of my words, regarding Mosaic, were in support of why I would not be pissed off. If Mosaic did and if a single purchaser did what you presented in your example, these actions would not piss me off.

You took a guess at what would piss me off. Your guess was not correct. This is the entirety of my argument.

Edited by wesbed

From: Melbourne via Wellington, Gisborne, London, Dunedin, Jupiter, New Orleans

Give it a year and a half. :D:D:D

I must admit I never bother with air mail from Mosaic to the UK...I order it and get it surface and it is there within a fortnight. The one time I had a pressie and had that sent air mail...yes you guessed it...It took a a fortnight so I now do not bother and I am sure the fish never get to see it! Always arrives in perfect nick too

Andy

I too had a kink when I ordered my copy last Fiday.

When it came to check-out time, I was informed there were no shipping details available and that shipping would be sorted out later.

I immediately sent an email requesting express air; the email was acknowledged, so I presume it it has been shipped - although normally I would've received it by now.

Well, I chose surface, and the delivery took a week... I'll see if they actually made me pay for airmail, too, or if they chartered some racing ship to deliver it so fast...