DVD-Audio from LP

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignoring the offtopic posts (shame on you guys; I'm glad I've never done that! :beee: ), I had the same thought:  why record as one side rather than track by track?

guys guys - this is getting silly - spam in disguise?

Oy vay! You should hear yourselves. What nonsense! Spam is spam, it doesn't know what it am so it cannot 'disguise' itself. I am me! I am not spam! Spam am I not.

Anyway - I'm not one to be overly insulted unless it involves my choice of clothing so be warned.

Back to the topic and just to prove I am a real person of sorts:

I contend:

You should normally record vinyl LPs as 'whole side' files because only that way can you be absolutely sure to maintain the original LP producers choice of volume levels and timings of track pauses. Any change you make should be made across the 'whole side' file before editing and saving as tracks. The process should be balanced by keeping the whole B side volumes the same if possible - but not all LPs are the same db cut on both sides - however most 'sides' are mixed to play in sequence. I am constantly reminded by clients not to f___ with this timing.

If you're transferring any kind of 'continuous' LP eg. Dark Side of The Moon or anything by Stevie Wonder, you simply have to respect the seamless track changes and adhere to the same volume across all tracks of either side of the LP. I suggest that it is equally important to maintain the volume levels across those albums - especially familiar ones - that have gaps beween the songs. Those things were labours of love for the artist - why snafu with the volume they wanted?

To throw the question back, what are the advantages of recording track-by-track?

I think I was talking about DVD-audio discs... at high resolution. From home. Tips and tricks and friendly advice-swapping. Is that not allowed?

Grrr..

Now please be nice. Colin AKA SeeWhyAudioNotSpamButaPersonWithIdeasToShare

Keep it coming, SeeWhyAudio - I am looking at setting up an 'audiophile' LP copying capability and value any suggestions as to how to go about it.  :tup

Hey there,

What's your current vinyl set-up?

What computer do you operate?

What's your budget?

Col

true - it's just that couw made it, typically, into something personal - sorry, I just do not like that guy -

That's your good right.

But to attribute "eternal narcissistic nastiness" to a long-standing member who, in my opinion, hasn't displayed anything of the kind is just bad form. Especially in a thread in which your contributions could have easily been seen by others than couw in exactly the light he described them.

Keep it coming, SeeWhyAudio - I am looking at setting up an 'audiophile' LP copying capability and value any suggestions as to how to go about it.  :tup

Hey there,

What's your current vinyl set-up?

What computer do you operate?

What's your budget?

Col

Linn LP12 turntable/Naim amp rig

Fujitsu/Siemens P4

Zippo :D

"And why share that with us?"

because I'm just a sharing type of guy - and unlike more than a few of you I have a sense of humor - it's interesting - when somebody disagrees with you guys, attacks with sarcasm or humor are seen as a justifiable tactic - however, if it's a friend or someone you agree with or like, you explain how inappropriate it all is -

I'm really having a hard time finding answers to all the refined questions Allen asked. This site may help him answer the question about what is the capital of Montana. Then, here's a sample of Hoagy's "Stardust" - nice chance to train your ears a bit again, and find out about them changes yourself!

Here, then, is a website about professors (they should know, shouldn't they?) trying to work out why birds sing:

http://www.physorg.com/news3849.html.

This book may also be helpful, however only in respect to a very special and man-made species (but aren't all taxonomies man-made, in the end?):

0375507892.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

That's how far I've come by now... if I have a few more glasses of guinness, I may or may not fine a few more answers.

Oh, I forgot one: the monkey/language question is highly debatable one - maybe Allen knows the answer but just doesn't want us to know?