iPod Crashed

Indestructible!

Hi All,

Well, I figured this day would eventually come, but I hoped it wouldn't. While loading a few songs into my iPod (40 GB - 3rd generation), my iPod battery died. After I plugged it back in to a power source, I checked to see how many of my new songs were actually uploaded before the battery died.

Imagine my surprise when it showed I had ZERO songs in memory!!! Yep, I lost about 5000 songs in the "crash", and there's no way to get 'em back.

Ironically (or perhaps just to tease me), the iPod showed that I had only 18 GB left of my 37.1 GB memory. Wow... 19 GB used to store ZERO songs... great!

Took the iPod over to the local Apple store (just 2 blocks from my house), where the "genius" there told me I was SOL... at least I was able to reset the memory back to the full 37 GB.

I'm pissed off, to say the least, as I now have to re-load a ton of stuff back into the iPod. In fact, I have to rip most of the CD's back into my music library first... my laptop doesn't really have space for 19 GB of MP3 files, so I deleted most of them. Man... the hours I spent loading that thing over the past 2 years - all gone! :bad:

Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers,

Shane

Can't help you with the loss of the files except to say get an external hard drive

to store them on (an expensive option but worth it in my opinion)

Apple did settle a suite for their defective batteries or false advertising how ever

you may look at it

You may be able to recieve a rebate or a new ipod depending upon which model you have

here is the link for the claim forms

Ipod settlement claims

Hi gslade,

You know, I just bought a Seagate 160 GB external drive a couple of weeks ago to back up a bunch of other stuff on my computer, and I hadn't yet had the time to back up the few MP3s I had on my laptop.

I will definitely be doing this from now on, though!

I heard about the iPod "damaged battery" settlement... I actually am holding off loading much onto my iPod until I get the battery replaced, so I've seen the news. It still seems like a pain in the ass to get reimbursed for the battery replacement (the length of time more than anything else), but if it'll save me $50, then I'll go for it.

Guy,

You're right about "cleaning house" now! There are lots of songs that won't be going BACK on the iPod, since I never really listened to them that much. Frees up some space for new things, I guess....

Cheers,

Shane

I don't understand.  Isn't everything also on your computer's hard drive, under iTunes?

Hi mjzee,

Nope. I'm not a Mac user, so everything was uploaded using MusicMatch on my VAIO laptop, which has limited memory. It was pretty tough for me to justify keeping 19 GB of MP3 files on my laptop, since I use it for so many other things.

And since I needed the memory space, I had to delete a huge chunk of those 19 GB's of MP3 files... so if I want those songs to go back into my iPod I'll have to re-rip them into MusicMatch.

But, as Guy mentioned earlier, a lot of those songs won't be going back onto the iPod, since I never really listened to them anyway.

And, no offense to Apple, but I never anticipated having to re-load 5000 songs onto my iPod... You'd think they would have designed a product that wouldn't be succeptible to crashing like that (I've since heard from a lot of other folks who've had this happen to them), or would have some mechanism that would allow for those files to be recovered more easily - without having to reload them. :huh:

But, as much as I want to say "fuck you" to the good folks at Apple... I really can't, because I've had a good run of use with my iPod. I'm trying to view this as positively as I can!

Cheers,

Shane

Nasty thing to happen - my condolences.

I strongly recommend a DVD-burner to store those large back-ups.

Cheap portable storage anyone? Far better than an outboard hard drive.

No matter what the project, back it up. Equipment WILL always go belly-up. Or get stolen. Or basically suck like ipods. :D

sorry - couldn't help it...

Nasty thing to happen - my condolences.

I strongly recommend a DVD-burner to store those large back-ups.

Cheap portable storage anyone? Far better than an outboard hard drive.

No matter what the project, back it up. Equipment WILL always go belly-up. Or get stolen. Or basically suck like ipods.  :D

sorry - couldn't help it...

From what I understand, CD-storage is actually more dependable than hard-drive storage anyway. I'm thinking of burning 20-25 CDs with my iPod files after reading this thread. Are there any good programs for bringing tunes from the iPod back onto my computer?

Guy

I don't use iTunes any more. I use Foobar2000 with the foo_pod plug in. It's very technical, but you have much more control over your music.

I haven't experienced a crash and I've owned 4 iPods. I always sell the old one and upgrade when a new model comes out.

Here are a few links if you want to give it a try:

http://www.tinkafoo.com/log/foo_pod.html

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=19156

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Make sure you use version 0.8.3 of Foobar with the plugin. It's not yet funtional in the new beta.

Let me throw in a recommendation for Lacie external drives, while we're talking about it. I tried both Lacie and Seagate, and have found the former to be more stable, quicker, and easier to store. I had one big foul-up with my Seagate, which kind of put me off of them, but I've had the Lacie for over a year, and (knocking on wood) no problems yet.

If you can afford it (I can't), the real thing to do is get a couple of these drives and get some redundancy going.

I nearly forgot... I read this article recently and found it fairly interesting.  I don't know enough about it to know whether or not he's talking out his ass...

Yup, he's got some good points (stated in a funny, opinionated way).

It comes down to trial and error and it's nice to see opinions from

others who've taken the time. He stumbles on some actual "facts" -

Blu-Ray storage for instance - but he offers some overall pretty good opinions.

Unfortunately, he falls into that vat of wallow about the iPod popularity

being reason enuf to not own one. Tempting...but ultimately wrongheaded.

If you're (not "you" chucky) tired of the iPod advertising, then don't buy one,

but it's not fair to start slamming for little other reason.

My reason for not getting one was that I wanted external recordability

and Apple kept eeking out other bits without providing this feature.

When they finally did come out with it,

it was this little sound that was like telephone in the 60's.

The technology was there to do this and while iRiver, iAudio, a.o. were doing it,

Apple was worried that hordes of people would be showing up at concerts

and recording them or some such nonsense.

So, last year, I bought my iAudio M3 and I'm a happy camper

cause I can walk the streets of Frankfurt recording bizarre middle age

Thai men attempting to sing "Purple Haze" or

audio capture the wildness of my neighborhood fauna.

All this directly to a HD that captures 400-600 hours of sound.

The iPod has, as of last week, entered this home because

making CDs for the sweetheart was becoming time consuming...

so, I just download a few thousand at a time and update her every few weeks.

For that, it works just fine.

Anyway, the guy offers some interesting takes and aims it at the "regular guy" on a budget methinks...

Guest akanalog

yo rod you kinda seem like the kind of guy not to own something just because it is popular based on your response to the permanently banned thread over in the misc. corner.

Let me throw in a recommendation for Lacie external drives, while we're talking about it.  I tried both Lacie and Seagate, and have found the former to be more stable, quicker, and easier to store.  I had one big foul-up with my Seagate, which kind of put me off of them, but I've had the Lacie for over a year, and (knocking on wood) no problems yet.

If you can afford it (I can't), the real thing to do is get a couple of these drives and get some redundancy going.

I've had my Lacie 120gig since 2001

never had a problem yet

except that it is filled up.

I'm hoping to get into a 500gig model by the end of the year

yo rod you kinda seem like the kind of guy not to own something just because it is popular based on your response to the permanently banned thread over in the misc. corner.

Yeah, it kinda would seem like that at first glance,

but my reasons for never going to McDonalds, BK, Starbucks etc

are not based on the sole idea of popularity.

It's often either that I don't like the company itself

or I find that the products that are sold/offered are just crap pretending to be good -

sometimes excessively priced crap.

Also, not ever being at McD doesn't mean that I can't know what's served there.

Being a vegetarian also keeps me away too.

...and there's the psychogeography of a place or the underlying psychology of a situation

that I may find repulsive that keeps me away.

Sometimes the "must go/do/see/etc" commercial syndrome produces annoying (to me) facets

and often this is why I usually have a hard time recommending something

unless it really had - or may produce in the intended "audience" - a major impact.

This is why I don't chime in very much on best recordings, books, movies

(a recent "opinions on these albums" thread and comments on Isaac Hayes

being for that very reason of impact).

Using the iPod example again, I didn't buy one not because it was popular,

but because it didn't do what I wanted - and actually considering the advanced

route that other DAP companies have taken - it was frustrating to find a

"progressive" company like Apple not implementing these changes

that would've cost only pennies extra on each iPod.

Chris Ott's can say (in the linked article) that he doesn't like the sound of an iPod,

but to follow it by saying that "they announce to the world that

a) you’re a shameless consumer whore, and

b) you don’t really listen to music" is an overreaching statement

that's based more on emotional outburst than reason.

I would just like to see a little more thought put into consumerism, that's all.

Unless you have a Squeezebox or have a music server, I don't see any reason to have a giant hard drive. They can fail as easily as an iPod. I back up all of my digital music to CD-R's. I just bought my first DVD writer so I will probably start burning my mp3s onto DVD+Rs. I keep an excel spreadsheet with the contents of my discs. When I want to hear something, All I need to do is find the disc, and transfer the music to my iPod. It's easy, it's cheap, and it's served me well for 7 years now. If the iPod dies, I still have my files.

I may eventually build a cheap box to serve my music and put together a 500 GB Raid, but I will still always burn my music to discs.