Tv Shows On Dvd

Who is Jean Simmons, out of curiosity -- I am not familiar with her.

"I love you Spartacus!" - Tony Curtis

"He'll know because I'll tell him." - Jean Simmons

Weird -- I totally don't remember him, though it's been a while since I've seen the movie.

Back to Star Trek -- I also really enjoyed the episode where Riker was "kidnapped by the Romulans" and woke up 20 years later. Also, the episode where people started vanishing from the Enterprise except for Dr. Crusher (though this one got a little ridiculous near the end). Even the obligatory "Counselor Troi's mom" episode was good for a change. Overall seasons 4 and 3 were terrific, hopefully 5 and 6 won't be too much of a letdown.

Guy

Edited by Guy

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is Jean Simmons, out of curiosity -- I am not familiar with her.

"I love you Spartacus!" - Tony Curtis

"He'll know because I'll tell him." - Jean Simmons

Weird -- I totally don't remember him, though it's been a while since I've seen the movie.

Guy, in my book Jean Simmons was in those days, as Spartacus's wife, even more beautiful than Liz Taylor or any other woman in the world!

It's being noised about that WKRP, sans original music, is going to be released next year. I'll still get the set even without the music.

The guy who played the whacky DJ originally appeared on a few episodes of The Bob Newhart Show as one of Bob's patients.

Howard Hesseman. Yeah, that was a riot to have him show up.

When WKRP first ran as a show I recognized him as that guy who was in Billy Jack. For some horrid reason Billy Jack was a really cool movie when I was in grade school. I think I was forced to see about 4 times by the time I was in junior high. Oof!

Add me to the list who had a crush on Bailey. Her IMDB bio notes she was married to the current Mr. Barbara Streisand for 9 years after WKRP ended.

I was at BJ's today, and I saw that they have Perry Mason - The First Season, Vol. 2 (20 shows) for $38.99.

I don't get cable, so I haven't been watching it on TV Land or whatever. If I get some Christmas money I may pick it up, as well as the first season of Remington Steele (the only good season IMO) which came out last year.

I am finishing up season 4 of Star Trek: The Next Generation and will soon move on to season 5.

Guy

The fourth season is my favorite. What did you think of the episode with Jean Simmons?

It was damn good, though I kind of got the feeling they were trying to do too much in 45 minutes. Who is Jean Simmons, out of curiosity -- I am not familiar with her.

Guy

She was born in England in 1929, played Ophelia in the 1948 Olivier version of Hamlet, came to Hollywood and had a few good roles in the 50's and early 60's but mostly her talents were underutilized. (I saw her recently in the 1958 western The Big Country; she was also in Elmer Gantry and Spartacus.) In her prime she reminds me a bit of Joan Greenwood.

The episode she's in, "The Drumhead," (she plays admiral Nora Satie) strikes me as a perhaps obvious but very well done riff on McCarthyism.

• 2 weeks later...

The episode she's in, "The Drumhead," (she plays admiral Nora Satie) strikes me as a perhaps obvious but very well done riff on McCarthyism.

I recently saw a really good episode from the 5th season -- "Darmok" -- I thought it was powerful.

Guy

Yeah, "Darmok" is a good one. Did you know that it's Paul Winfield playing the alien captain?

Edited by BruceH

I recently saw a really good episode from the 5th season -- "Darmok" -- I thought it was powerful.

Guy

Yeah, "Darmok" is a good one. Did you know that it's Paul Winfield playing the alien captain?

I'd never heard of Paul Winfield before watching this episode.

Guy

I'm thinking of getting the DVD of the first season of The Monkees :blush: , does anyone have that? (or brave enough to admit it) and how is it? I just remember watching it as a kid and enjoying the show, plus buying the deluxe cd of their first release has put me in a Monkee mood.

B00006ZZ05.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Edited by Matthew

I'm thinking of getting the DVD of the first season of The Monkees :blush: , does anyone have that? (or brave enough to admit it) and how is it? I just remember watching it as a kid and enjoying the show, plus buying the deluxe cd of their first release has put me in a Monkee mood.

B00006ZZ05.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I always enjoyed that show when I as a youngster. Dug the music quite a bit also.

That said, I don't think I'd be interested in checking this set out. Some good memories are best left unsullied.

;)

Danger UXB This was a series on BBC about the British soldiers involved in diffusing unexploded bombs. It was, I believe, the introduction of actor, Anthony Andrews. Excellent series.

Fawlty Towers

Prime Suspect series 1 through 5.

The News Room - This is a subversively hilarious Canadian series about a TV newsroom in Toronto, written by and starring the amazing Ken Finkleman.

It was offered by the PBS catalogue a few years ago and, even though I had seen it when it was running, I snapped up the 13 episode series.

There were two follow-ups which also enjoyed moderate success. But, the first series was pure gold.

The Six Wives of Henry VIII, the original starring Michael Keith. Excellent.

Dragnet - Who did detective better and more memorably than Jack Webb??

Traffik - The British series on which the American film, Traffic was based. No comparison.

Cracker - The Robbie Coltrane series, again from Britain. Three episode boxed set.

The Charmer - A terrific British series starring Nigel Havers [he was the blonde runner in Chariots of Fire] who, in this series plays a handsome con-man who bilks and murders older women. He comes to a bad end. Another terrific period piece which the British do so well.

Edited by patricia

John Thaw ;)

Traffik - The British series on which the American film, Traffic was based. No comparison.

Thanks for mentioning this one - someone told me about this a long time ago, but I'd forgotten all about it. I think I'll get it with my next Amazon order.

BTW, for anyone who cares, Twin Peaks Season II is being released in the US in April. It's out seemingly everywhere else this month.

John Thaw ;)

Perhaps. :)

Thanks for mentioning this one - someone told me about this a long time ago, but I'd forgotten all about it. I think I'll get it with my next Amazon order.

You'll be glad you did. Much better than the American film version, IMO.

The Six Wives of Henry VIII, the original starring Michael Keith. Excellent.

Now I know of a 6 Wives that in the US was shown on Masterpiece Theatre where Henry the 8th was played by Keith Mitchell. IMDB has 2 entries with either 1970 or '72 as the year. I saw it twice, once when I was about 8 and again when I was barely a teen. I recall my Dad loving it, and the portrayal of Henry just seemed so right way back then. A year ago or so I was fooled by PBS thinking I would get to see this again, but instead something newer from 2001 was put on that I had to shut off in 10 minutes. Sure, I never gave it a chance, but it was mainly disgust based on a 30 year memory of something far superior. If that exists on DVD that'd be great!