Tv Shows On Dvd

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51MxdU39-1L._SS500_.jpg

anyone picking up next week?

I remember when this show was on in prime time (1972 or so). It was mildly entertaining for the time, but with all the animated series that have come since I'm not so sure it has aged well. It might be interesting as a reflection of social/political topics (and stereotypes) of that period, but I really don't remember it being that good. I am interested in some of the other 70s TV shows, not so much this one. :)

I thought I'd seen at least an episode or two of almost every obscure H-B cartoon series in existence, but I'd never even heard of this one before.

51MxdU39-1L._SS500_.jpg

I remember when this show was on in prime time (1972 or so). It was mildly entertaining for the time, but with all the animated series that have come since I'm not so sure it has aged well. It might be interesting as a reflection of social/political topics (and stereotypes) of that period, but I really don't remember it being that good. I am interested in some of the other 70s TV shows, not so much this one. :)

I thought I'd seen at least an episode or two of almost every obscure H-B cartoon series in existence, but I'd never even heard of this one before.

Like everyone else, I was glued to the tv as a kid, and I must admit, I've never heard of it either. :o

518E1KQZYVL._AA240_.jpg518HQS278XL._AA240_.jpg

I'm about to start watching season 2.0 of Battlestar Galactica courtesy of my local library. I finished watching the first season the week before last courtesy of the same.

I was wondering, did the writers get some kind of bonus for each time they use the word "frack"? Every episode I just wait for it until they drop it and I say to myself, "There it is!" or "There it is again!" It could almost be a drinking game like taking a shot every time "Bob" or "Mary" are said in The Bob Newhart Show or The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Anyway, I'm still digging it enough to want to watch the next 10 episodes.

51MxdU39-1L._SS500_.jpg

Like everyone else, I was glued to the tv as a kid, and I must admit, I've never heard of it either. :o

Same here....

51MxdU39-1L._SS500_.jpg

I remember when this show was on, remember kind of liking it (I was only 10 or 11), and even remember being disappointed that it only lasted one season. But perhaps it says something that I can't remember the plot of a single episode.

51MxdU39-1L._SS500_.jpg

I remember when this show was on, remember kind of liking it (I was only 10 or 11), and even remember being disappointed that it only lasted one season. But perhaps it says something that I can't remember the plot of a single episode.

I don't remember that at all. And I watched enough TV in the '70s to last me the rest of my life. What network was it on?

This isn't exactly TV on DVD but it's TV where I saw and came to love these old Popeye cartoons as a child. I really think I want to get this when it comes out July 31st. These old Fleischer versions of the muttering/mumbling Popeye were so much better than lame color 60's version.

51zfEK5qH0L._SS500_.jpg

This isn't exactly TV on DVD but it's TV where I saw and came to love these old Popeye cartoons as a child. I really think I want to get this when it comes out July 31st. These old Fleischer versions of the muttering/mumbling Popeye were so much better than lame color 60's version.

51zfEK5qH0L._SS500_.jpg

The Fleischer Popeye's are considered classics, and yes, TV is where I first saw them, too.

51zfEK5qH0L._SS500_.jpg

The Fleischer Popeye's are considered classics, and yes, TV is where I first saw them, too.

The cartoons are one thing -- well-animated and amusingly voiced, if repetitive -- but the original newspaper comic strip by E.C. Segar is one of the all-time greats. Jazz and culture critic Martin Williams once wrote a nice tribute to the strip. It's currently being re-issued in nice-looking volumes by Fantagraphics Books (the same folks doing the complete Peanuts -- and, by the way, Charles Schulz was a fan of Segar's Popeye, too).

51zfEK5qH0L._SS500_.jpg

The cartoons are one thing -- well-animated and amusingly voiced, if repetitive -- but the original newspaper comic strip by E.C. Segar is one of the all-time greats. Jazz and culture critic Martin Williams once wrote a nice tribute to the strip. It's currently being re-issued in nice-looking volumes by Fantagraphics Books (the same folks doing the complete Peanuts -- and, by the way, Charles Schulz was a fan of Segar's Popeye, too).

Yes!! I was trying to get the whole collection of dailies and Sundays in a paperback edition put out by Fantagraphics/Nemo Bookshelf which had gone out of print before I ever discovered them. The paperbacks could be had for a fairly reasonable amount here and there but the hardbacks were way out of my price range as anyone selling them charged a pretty big premium for them since they were out of print. I wasn't able to find or acquire all the volumes and then I discovered that they were reprinting them again so I sold all the editions I had and plan to pick up the new ones as they come out. I think Vol. 2 is going to be available in November 2007.

51zfEK5qH0L._SS500_.jpg

All part of Fantagraphics' "For everything good in comics, you'll have to come to us!" series.

51zfEK5qH0L._SS500_.jpg

I've owned the paperback series for years. But the new editions are much nicer, with the Sundays in color. I'm almost tempted to buy again.

Edited by Kalo

The Office, love that show!

I own the entire British version of "The Office." Definitely a worthwhile purchase, as I've watched them all the way through at least five times.

Hysterical stuff! I tried watching the British version on BBC and I have to admit that I didn't find as funny as the American version. But that could be because I'm a Steve Carrell fan. My wife and I both love the show and we have watched the dvd's quite a bit.

The Office, love that show!

I own the entire British version of "The Office." Definitely a worthwhile purchase, as I've watched them all the way through at least five times.

I can say the same about "Freaks & Geeks."

And if the idiots who control the rights to "The Larry Sanders Show" would finally put out a complete package of that show, I would automatically have to buy it.