Free Music - Thanks Coke...

scottb

Back to the original thread topic... any more direction to what you're interested in downloading?

Some considerations:

Santana's BORBOLETTA.

I guess right now I'm a bit on a rock guitar kick so something guitar heavy would do. I wish Jimmy Page had a new project!

BORBOLETTA would be a good start.

You mentioned Page - what about Robert Plant's new one? I don't think it's particularly heavy on the guitar, but it's gotten some pretty good reviews.

I have no idea what you can download at Walmart.com, but I would certainly look for some Public Enemy and Tribe Called Quest.

As far as what the (smarter) kids are listening to today, you might try Interpol, Tool, A Perfect Circle or Dredg (the last is probably not at Walmart either).

Weird trippy stuff that I like: early Brian Eno, Robyn Hitchcock, Magnetic Fields, Flaming Lips. One of my favorite bands of the mid 1990s was Everclear -- they've kind of dropped off the map...

Geez, when I saw the title of this thread I thought that somebody had finally found a surviving copy of the legendary, suppressed Coke commercial featuring Albert Ayler's version of "I'd Like to Teach the World To Sing."

Edited by Kalo

I had Borboletta in the check out box last night and then for some reason balked.  In the light of day this seems to be a pretty good choice.

About half of Borboletta is great (the instrumentals), and half is crap. I know Lon/jazzbo disagrees with me about this. There's one tune near the end -- "Promise of a Fisherman", I think -- that's incredible.

Guy

That is some seriously fucked up shit.

As Evis Costello said, "clown time is over..."

What can we do to stop this?

I guess the first thing to do is to investigate further -- I'm not sure how much I trust this website. I recently read an article in the WSJ about Coke's practices in India -- shady, but antiglobalization activists completely blew them out of proportion.

Guy

Well,

I don't drink that shit anyway -- so does that count as a boycott?

Seriously, Guy, let us know what you find out.

I'll investigate, too.

The worst that could happen is that Coke tries to buy us off by sponsoring Organissimo!

I got Borboletta last night.

It begs a new thread on guitar gods with the worst lyrics.

Jeff Beck is still champ thanks to NIGHTHAWK from FLASH but Santana has a TON of honorable mentions including a few on this disc.

Hey Carlos, shut up and play!

I got Borboletta last night. 

It begs a new thread on guitar gods with the worst lyrics.

Jeff Beck is still champ thanks to NIGHTHAWK from FLASH but Santana has a TON of honorable mentions including a few on this disc. 

Hey Carlos, shut up and play!

Good point. Since I don't listen to lyrics very closely, they don't bother me too much. But you're right - both Santana and Beck have bad track records

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm now making my 80's hair band compilation. Stuff I would never buy but if its free, what the heck.

So far:

Poison: Unskinny Bop, Nothin' But A Good Time, Talk Dirty To Me

Motley Crue: Girls, Girls, Girls, Dr Feelgood

Ozzy: Crazy Train

Guns and Roses: Welcome to the Jungle

Ratt: Round and Round, Lay It Down

Def Leppard: Pour Some Sugar...

Extreme: Get The Funk Out

Whitesnake: Still Of THe Night

Wanted AC / DC : Thunderstruck but I can't find it available as a download.

I've got some more room on the disc, what should I add? (Van Halen is taken care of)