Ken Vandermark

Jazzmoose

Okay, but seriously...

I've been getting into Vandermark's music more and more, and just feel that he ought to have a 'corner' or whatever here. I know that there are plenty who dislike his music, but I'm also sure I'm not the only one who likes it.

I found Vandermark through my exploration of Peter Brotzmann, naturally, but over the last year, I've been more and more attracted to his other work as well, particularly---

Spaceways, Inc.

Love both Version Soul and Thirteen Cosmic Standards. I'd put Radiale a bit lower, but still nice.

The Vandermark 5

To be exact, the new 12 disc Alchemia set. I'm new to the group, but this set is just incredible. This is my favorite release of the year so far. Yes, even over that...sorry!

Vandermark seems to be at an odd place in jazz; he's too 'out' to have any hope of being confused with mainstream, but (at least to my ears) he's too mainstream to have any hope of appealing to the 'more out is best' crowd either. An odd territory (hmmm....there's another...oh, never mind) to stake out, but for some reason it works for me.

Now, the ultimate goal of the post... :g

Whaddya like? As Vandermark's music is beginning to show signs of becoming my next obsession, what would you recommend for exploration? What do you dislike? What do you consider the obvious "must haves" for this artist? And, like him or not, what do you think of his work? (Seriously; believe me, if criticism of artists I liked hurt that much, I'd have disappeared looooong ago! ;) ) Thanks...

You should definitely check out the group of Swedish musicians he's been actively promoting over the last few years. First of all, his group School Days is fine fine stuff - In Our Times is a live disc well worth checking out.

Then he teamed this group up with the Swedish quintet Atomic (who are worth checking out in their own right - their 2 discs on Jazzland, Feet Music and Boom Boom are both well worth the money). The Atomic/School Days group has one double disc out - Nuclear Assembly Hall - which was one of my favorite discs of last year.

I'm sure other's will chime in with their personal likes and dislikes on his more common stuff, but this is one sidelight I've become very obsessed with in the last year or two, so thought it deserved some mention.

If you've plunged into "Alchemia" you may find it interesting to hear the earlier releases with Mars Williams and/or Jeb's guitar. Otherwise, as a follower since the first proto-V5 gig in early 1996, I can recommend all their discs, though I think those recorded by Bob Weston (the recent Atavistic releases) and Malachi Ritscher (the early, live releases on Savage Sound Syndicate) best reproduce the group's sound.

Some non-V5 highlights from the '90s:

-- Steelwool Trio, "International Front" (Okkadisk, 1994)

-- Vandermark Quartet, "Solid Action" (Platypus, 1994) [the track "Bucket" is a personal fav -- a prototypical KV composition with a sublime tenor solo, up there with his solo on "Cruz Campo" from the V5's "Airports for Light"]

-- Barrage Double Trio, "Utility Hitter" (Quinnah, 1995)

-- AALY Trio + KV, "Hidden in the Stomach" (Silkheart, 1996) [incl. the gorgeous "Why I Don't Go Back"]

-- DKV Trio, "Live in Wels & Chicago" (Okkadisk, 1998)

Of the more recent projects, the School Days, Territory Band & FME releases on Okka (as well as the Brotz-10, which you seem to have already discovered) are strong representations of KV's work within distinct contexts, as is the sole document of his solo music, 2002's "Furniture Music".

a complete discography:

http://tisue.net/vandermark/

happy listening,

Jason

[edited to correct label of Vandermark Quartet's "Solid Action" (Platypus, not Quinnah)]

Edited by jasonguthartz

Sounds like Nuclear Assembly Hall should be on my short list.

I've got the DKV Trio Live in Wels & Chicago disc; I'd put the Chicago disc in my "like" pile, and the Wels disc in my jaw-droppingly-amazing pile! Thanks to a certain nameless poster here, I've been getting well acquainted with the Okkadisc catalog as fast as I can; I'll have to check out the other labels you mention, Jason.

As usual, I'm in Ken's Corner.

I like the Sound in Action Trio, "Design in Time" (KV + 2 drummers, Mulvenna and Barry) on Delmark.

That's what first got me into Ken and a lot of (Okka, Delmark, Atavistic, etc.) associated stuff.

Agree about KV and the Scandinavians. Saw him do a workshop with Nilssen-Love that was very interesting. Got me interested in the Thing, et al.

Damn!!! :angry: I messed up the search function again; sorry guys...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, darn it; it was in 'recommendations'. What can I say? I only searched artists. :lol:

Edited by Jazzmoose

I've only got three Vandermark discs so far, but enjoy them all:

V5 - Simpatico

Sound in Action Trio - Design in Time

Spaceways Inc. - Thirteen Cosmic Standards

He's a guy I'll certainly pick up discs from when I stumble across them. :tup

• 8 years later...

I'm going to bump this one nearly a decade later since there's always much to discuss with KV and the off-shoot discussion in the Listening thread instantly pulled together opinions on 4 different projects.

I'm, of course, a big fan of what he does. I think he's a perfectly strong player, but a truly great bandleader, organizer, and composer. His work in the last several years with Polish players has been one of the more exciting developments in the music of late. I keep up with what he's doing and try to grab a little bit of each thing when I can. Like I said, I've currently been digging the Made to Break group with Devin Hoff (electric bass), Tim Daisy (drums), and Christof Kurzmann (electronics). They have a CD and LP on clean feed and a new one coming on Trost which I suspect will be their strongest work to date. Really looking forward to picking up the new Resonance Ensemble 2xCD soon, as their last one (What Country Is This?) is among the finest albums I've heard in many years. He also recently released a great duo with Agusti Fernandez on the digital label Discordian that's worth checking out.

The Made to Break CD on clean feed is really good... i'm a Vandermark fan, although i don't really actively follow him. I absolutely love The Vandermark 5.

Xybert:

My first recommendation for you is DKV Trio Live in Wels and Chicago

2 CD set on okkadisk recorded in 1998. To this day the Chicago performances on disc 2 and specifically the last 2 longish tracks titled "Burning Sky" and "Blues for Tomorrow" stand out as highlights for KV's groove based playing and also feature Hamid Drake at his most convincing.

This recording demands to be heard

Plus the first disc is primarily a reading of Don Cherry's Complete Communion suite so this set is all around wonderous

Vandermark_Lacerba.png

LACERBA - Made to Break: Ken Vandermark (reefs), Devin Hoff (b), Christof Kurzmann (Lloopp), Tim Daisy (d). Clean Feed LP.

I played this once when I got it, and now. I like it, it's good, but it is nothing radically different from what I have heard in various other KV groups. I still have no really good idea what a Lloopp is, and really don't care, as long as it makes a positive contribution to the music. Here, it barely registers in the group dynamic; it does not give the music a radically new aspect. In fact, I suspect Hoff (who is a really fine bassist) could have covered some of the sound choices that Kurzmann manipulates out of his laptop. Tim Daisy is not going to push Ken V out of his comfort zone, so his inclusion here is a little disappointing. Like I said, I like the album, I like KV, but occasionally I get a little impatient. Anyway, Made to Break is coming to a small performance venue a few miles from me near the end of April, after a long concert tour. Then I will be able to tell just how much this group has in it.

Fwiw, Kurzmann is brilliant in some other small improv contexts.

I can believe that Steve. I saw that he played duo with John Butcher, which tells me he can do much greater things than he does here, where he is somewhat overcast. I suspect as this group plays together more, the balance will come right.

Fwiw, Kurzmann is brilliant in some other small improv contexts.

I can believe that Steve. I saw that he played duo with John Butcher, which tells me he can do much greater things than he does here, where he is somewhat overcast. I suspect as this group plays together more, the balance will come right.

The recording to get is called Schnee

• 2 months later...

Two brand new (rec. January 2014!) ones coming May 1 from the Audio One group: Adasiewicz, Berman, Bishop, Daisy, Nicks Macri & Mazzarella, Jen Paulson, Rempis, and Mars Williams. The albums are called International Report (original compositions) and The Midwest School (Braxton, Mitchell, Hemphill, Threadgill). Looking forward to that.

Two brand new (rec. January 2014!) ones coming May 1 from the Audio One group: Adasiewicz, Berman, Bishop, Daisy, Nicks Macri & Mazzarella, Jen Paulson, Rempis, and Mars Williams. The albums are called International Report (original compositions) and The Midwest School (Braxton, Mitchell, Hemphill, Threadgill). Looking forward to that.

So am I.