kh1958

Roll on May 21 :D:D:D

This one has got to be amazing.

Mingus at Cornell University:

Disc One

ATFW You (4:42)

Sophisticated Lady (4:23) (Ellington)

Fables of Faubus (29:42)

Orange Was the Colour of Her Dress, Then Blue Silk (15:05)

Take the "A" Train (17:28) (Strayhorn)

Disc Two

Meditations (31:36)

So Long Eric (15:18)

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling (6:07)

Jitterbug Waltz (9:59) (Waller)

All compositions by Charles Mingus except where noted

Personnel

Johnny Coles - trumpet

Eric Dolphy - alto sax, bass clarinet, flute

Clifford Jordan - tenor sax

Jaki Byard - piano

Charles Mingus - bass

Dannie Richmond - drums

Information

Date and location

March 18, 1964, Cornell University

How can it be anything other than brilliant. :g:g:g

It's very good!

From the same Mingus group that recorded this America session three days later...

B000MTEDPM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V45298371_AA240_.jpg

A single cd version (I think!) of the two cd version of this one (the America session) is coming out next week here in America.

Edited by jazzbo

That recording that came out on Revenge! Records from the same tour was excellent too. Found it at a small record store on the Olympic Penninsula in Washington state on a cross country journey of discovery. Made my trip even better!

Roll on May 21 :D:D:D

This one has got to be amazing.

Mingus at Cornell University:

Disc One

ATFW You (4:42)

Sophisticated Lady (4:23) (Ellington)

Fables of Faubus (29:42)

Orange Was the Colour of Her Dress, Then Blue Silk (15:05)

Take the "A" Train (17:28) (Strayhorn)

Disc Two

Meditations (31:36)

So Long Eric (15:18)

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling (6:07)

Jitterbug Waltz (9:59) (Waller)

All compositions by Charles Mingus except where noted

Personnel

Johnny Coles - trumpet

Eric Dolphy - alto sax, bass clarinet, flute

Clifford Jordan - tenor sax

Jaki Byard - piano

Charles Mingus - bass

Dannie Richmond - drums

Information

Date and location

March 18, 1964, Cornell University

How can it be anything other than brilliant. :g:g:g

Thanks for posting this info. You've made my day.

Edited by Chalupa

• 3 weeks later...

It's very good!

From the same Mingus group that recorded this America session three days later...

B000MTEDPM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V45298371_AA240_.jpg

Just got a promo of this (the America session) in the mail this a.m. and am listening now... sounds great so far. Opening track is "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." Haven't liked said song this much in a long time!

Don't thank me, thank kh1958 for posting it, (check further up the post).

I was merely bumping this up hoping to maybe get a bit more info on it, but I too am thrilled with the news.

This group was almost too good to be true. Sometimes I wonder did it exist at all or were they just a lovely dream.

:wub::wub::wub:

I feel similarly about this group. They were really excellent.....one of the best bands I've ever heard on a recording.

When I first heard recordings of this band, I used to wonder how this group would have sounded with a different musician on tenor, as Cliff Jordan sounded a bit tame at times. But I soon came to realize that when you are a reedman playing next to Eric Dolphy, unless you're John Coltrane, its pretty difficult not to sound tame!

When I first heard recordings of this band, I used to wonder how this group would have sounded with a different musician on tenor, as Cliff Jordan sounded a bit tame at times. But I soon came to realize that when you are a reedman playing next to Eric Dolphy, unless you're John Coltrane, its pretty difficult not to sound tame!

I definitely wouldn't use the word "tame" to describe Jordan's playing with this group.

Guy

• 5 months later...

More Sue Mingus quotes about unissued material (from allaboutjazz interview)

“I have a number of tapes in boxes and they are stored over at Sony Studios over here on the west side [New York City],” says Mingus. “These were old—however many inches they are—tapes from the ‘60s and ‘70s. Out of fear for their disintegrating I had them transferred to DAT to CD, whatever. In the course of that we found a number of things. I used some of it on our [Mingus Big Band] Blues and Politics CD (Dreyfus Records, 1989). I used some of it to open one of our CDs where Charles is speaking about Selma [Alabama].” The Cornell tapes surfaced in the course of transferring the tapes to digital....

“These other tapes have never seen the light of day, so there’s an excitement about that because it’s new material. It’s not that I couldn’t have done it earlier; it’s just that there are only so many hours in a day and we have a lot of projects. I have been focusing more on the live bands that are carrying on the legacy. With time, we will go back and release some of these great legendary recordings by the master himself.”

The recordings she refers to are all live sets. “There’s a marvelous recording at Ronnie Scott’s in London that was recorded with mobile trucks by Sony, actually by Columbia Records, in the early ‘70s before they dumped most of their jazz artists, including Mingus. As a kind of booby prize, I guess, they gave us back these very professional tapes. So they’re in the can. And there’s a concert from somewhere in Germany. There are a number of things. Charles and I had a record company called Charles Mingus Enterprises and we put out Part 2 of a number of concerts, one at the Tyrone Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, the other at Town Hall. That may be the next, a combination of the Town Hall concert and then these others tapes, the Part 2s that have not been released,” she says, adding, “I don’t know. There’s a treasure trove of material and we will eventually get it out.”

Here's what's circulating from that Ronnie Scott's gig - an official release would be most welcome, for sure!

Charles Mingus

Ronnie Scott's, London, England

August 14 & 15, 1972

Jon Faddis - trumpet

Charles McPherson - alto sax

Bobby Jones - tenor sax, clarinet

John Foster - piano, vocals

Charles Mingus - bass

Roy Brooks - drums, musical saw

CD1/56:55

1. Orange Was the Color Of Her Dress (33:07)

2. Orange Was the Color Of Her Dress [alt. ending] (3:47)

3. Blues In F (20:00)

CD2/61:30

1. Announcement > Mindreaders Convention In Milano > Koko (theme) (32:17)

2. Pops (aka When The Saints Go Marching In) (8:05)

3. The Man Who Never Sleeps (18:44)

4. Air Mail Special (theme) (2:22)

CD3/35:29

1. Fables Of Faubus (35:29)

TT: 153:54

Note: Mingus, Charles McPherson, Bobby Jones, Jon Faddis, John Foster, Roy Brooks

This stuff has been scheduled for release by both Columbia and Revenge records - never happened.

And having the Tyrone Guthrie thing out again is a great idea, too, as far as I'm concerned... can't say I ever heard it (but brownie showed it to me, so I know it's not a phantom, at least...)

The recordings she refers to are all live sets. “There’s a marvelous recording at Ronnie Scott’s in London that was recorded with mobile trucks by Sony, actually by Columbia Records, in the early ‘70s before they dumped most of their jazz artists, including Mingus. As a kind of booby prize, I guess, they gave us back these very professional tapes. So they’re in the can. ”

I am aware of some performances at Ronnie Scott's in August, 1972 that circulate among traders. I wonder whether it is the same material.