Goodbye Columbia House Music Club

jbb

Just checked the Columbia House Music Club website and learned that it is ending in late August and that all memberships (including bonus points) are being transferred to BMG. Thank G-d!

I remember hearing years ago that BMG had bought the Columbia House Music Club, but the only thing that changed about Columbia House was that the selection (especially the jazz selection) got worse and worse, while the BMG catalog seemed to grow by leaps and bounds.

Since I joined yourmusic.com a few months ago, I think I'll just use up my bonus points to pick up a bunch of cds that are in my queue much sooner than would otherwise be the case, and probably leave the BMG account dormant. But it will be great to finally have something to spend those bonus points on.

Will the Columbia House catalog become available thru BMG/yourmusic too?

Jane Siberry  and the Talking Heads box sets were available thru Columbia House. :rolleyes:

Columbia's website said "no." It says that instead of combining the two club's catalog's, only bmg's catalog will be available.

Will the Columbia House catalog become available thru BMG/yourmusic too?

Jane Siberry  and the Talking Heads box sets were available thru Columbia House. :rolleyes:

Columbia's website said "no." It says that instead of combining the two club's catalog's, only bmg's catalog will be available.

Damn, I was hoping that BMG would now offer Miles' Plugged Nickel set... :(

I am so disappointed about this... I know their jazz selection got smaller and smaller, but I still liked the idea of getting the same CDs as in the retail stores (i.e. without nonsense "manufactered for BMG" mark etc.) for a lot less than retail price. If I remember correctly, CH was owned by SONY and Warner Bros., so they shipped exact same copy as in the retail stores if the CDs were released from those companies. Others from different labels had minor "CRC" mark or something like that, but it wasn't as annoying as "BMG" mark. Maybe it's time for me to get used to those marks...

Edited by jazzmessenger

I am so disappointed about this...  I know their jazz selection got smaller and smaller, but I still liked the idea of getting the same CDs as in the retail stores (i.e. without nonsense "manufactered for BMG" mark etc.) for a lot less than retail price.  If I remember correctly, CH was owned by SONY and Warner Bros., so they shipped exact same copy as in the retail stores if the CDs were released from those companies.  Others from different labels had minor "CRC" mark or something like that, but it wasn't as annoying as "BMG" mark.  Maybe it's time for me to get used to those marks...

There are still alot of CDs from the BMG club that don't have the BMG label. Just got a GOLD (2CD) series and Essential (2CD) series set from BMG without BMG markings. Also got a Willie Nelson (sony label) with no BMG markings.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a notice in the mail and it states that 1 free selection will be available on my new BMG account. (shipping/handling will be added - so about $3 for a CD)

Too bad I don't have any obligations (CDs to buy) for the Columbia House membership.

While switching to BMG, Columbia House is also 'forgiving' any 'obligations' you have. So if you still needed to buy 3 or so, you're off the hook.

Edited by Tjazz