Muse Savoy Reissues

Brad

I don't know if these got overlooked but a bunch of these were released yesterday, among them:

Sonny Stitt - The Last Sessions

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - The Heavy Hitter

Houston Person - Talk of the Town

Cedar Walton - Naima: Night at Boomers

David Newman - Lone Star Legend

Jack McDuff - Another Real Good'un

Sonny Criss - Crisscraft

I have the Criss and the Stitt (I hope to be that good at my job before I go as he was on these) and am going to get the Newman. Any views on the others?

The Cedar stuff has Clifford Jordan, Sam Jones, & Billy Higgins, was recorded live, and is pretty much as good as you think it might be. Long-time favorites here.

The Jaws is not one of his nuttier affairs, but if you're a fan, you'll want it.

If the Fathead is a reissue of his Muse material, well, it's Fathead, and there are neither surprises nor disappointments. Good, solid stuff.

Those are the only ones I know enough about to comment on.

Speaking of Stitt, have they reissued CONSTELLATION, his 2nd Cobblestone album? One of his very best, I think, and along with the seemingly better known but slightly less intense TUNE UP (1st Cobblestone, and reissued on Muse CD, I think), there's one helluva a 2-on-1 waiting to happen.

I was never a fan of 32 Jazz's covers and packaging. But compared to the Savoy covers, they were masterpieces! The Savoy artwork bites. At least the few that I saw earlier including a Groove Holmes reissue.

Why don't they just release these with the original artwork, or something ever BETTER since the Muse originals are lacking anyway for the most part. I mean, if you're putting new artwork together, bad pencil drawings and lame graphics wouldn't be my first choice.

Some company please save this wonderful music from continued bad artwork. :rolleyes:

I'm with Jim regarding Walton's NAIMA. It's actually Louis Hayes on drums, BTW. Anybody who digs Clifford Jordan should get their hands on that... what a group!

I also concur on CONSTELLATION and TUNE UP. I almost wore out my vinyl on those, and picked them up as individual CD's back when they first came out on Muse. CONSTELLATION was recorded first, and hit CD first, I think... (slightly lower catalog number).

I'm with Jim regarding Walton's NAIMA.  It's actually Louis Hayes on drums, BTW.  Anybody who digs Clifford Jordan should get their hands on that... what a group!

I also concur on CONSTELLATION  and TUNE UP.  I almost wore out my vinyl on those, and picked them up as individual CD's back when they first came out on Muse.  CONSTELLATION was recorded first, and hit CD first, I think... (slightly lower catalog number).

Hayes it is! I was going by memory, which is becoming an increasingly dangerous thing to do! But pulling the LPs out now (A NIGHT AT BOOMERS, VOLS 1 & 2) makes me ask what liner notes they use on these reissues. Vol 1 has a very nice, lenghty (little tiny type) interview by Garry Giddins w/Walton & Jordan that still makes for good reading, historically and otherwise.

BTW - what are they leaving out? Vol 1 clocks in at 47:25, Vol 2 at 47:39. Combined, that's 95:04. Or is this a 2 disc set?

You (or anybody) got a recording date for those two Stitt Cobblestones? I don't have TUNE UP any more (long story...), but I know that it was Cobblestone CST 9013 and that CONSTELLATION (which I do still have, thank God) is CST 9021, recorded 6-27-72. Don't know about CD, but TUNE UP definitely came out first on LP, and created a bit of a stir (5 star review in Down Beat by Dan Morgenstern, and LOTS of airplay, at least round here), since Stitt hadn't made THAT kind of a record for as long as anybody could remember, and CONSTELLATION just upped the ante that much more - another 5 star review by ?, and one that opened with the line, "It takes several listens to realize just how much MUSIC Sonny Stitt is playing here", or something like that, and rated it even more "on" than TUNE UP, an assessment with which I have come to concur (both are BAAAADDD, though!). I think Stitt's next record for the by-then Muse was "12", and John Litweiler really ripped into it, giving it only 1 or 2 stars, and really taking Stitt to task for playing solos that merely strung together his pet licks, without showing any attention to, or even concern for, a cohesive overall design. Equally overly harsh and spot-on accurate, that assessment was (in my opinion), but CONSTELLATION is arguably the last fully balls-out record Stitt ever made, and it deserves to be available in perpetuity if you ask me, just in case you forgot how bad he REALLY was! ;)

Edited by JSngry

You (or anybody) got a recording date for those two Stitt Cobblestones? I don't have TUNE UP any more (long story...), but I know that it was Cobblestone CST 9013 and that CONSTELLATION (which I do still have, thank God) is CST 9021, recorded 6-27-72.

CONSTELLATION, according to the ENDGAME BRILLIANCE twofer re-issue, was recorded exactly a year before the date you list (or maybe it's just a typo).

TUNE UP, was, according to the re-issue booklet, recorded on February 8, 1972 and released as MR 5334.

Edited by pryan

For whatever it's worth, I got that date from the original LP, Cobblestone CST 9021. TUNE UP was also originally a Cobblestone release - CST 9013. Not that any of this means anything. It's just discographical triva. But I know for a fact that TUNE UP was RELEASED before CONSTELLATION. My memory ain't THAT bad yet! :D :D :D

32 Jazz seemed to be Muse-centric in matters Cobblestone. At least they did on BREAKTHROUGH - they reprinted that uglyass Muse cover instead of the MUCH better Cobblestone one. And you're telling me that they claim that TUNE UP was originally released on Muse? "T'AINT SO!!!!

I was just basically copying out what was printed in the liner notes for the CONSTELLATION two-fer. I figured you had bought the albums 'round about the time they came out.

Yeah, that BREAKTHROUGH cover is downright brutal!

BTW, both of the albums were said to have been released in 1972 (they didn't specify what month, etc.).

Jsngry,

Well there is one thing you are forgetting Jim. Either Tune Up or Constellation was voted best album of 1972 by Downbeat or else it won a Grammy for best jazz album of 1972. That's how bad it really is! My memory is slightly foggy too.

Jsngry,

Well there is one thing you are forgetting Jim. Either Tune Up or Constellation was voted best album of 1972 by Downbeat or else it won a Grammy for best jazz album of 1972. That's how bad it really is! My memory is slightly foggy too.

Hmmm...another trip to the closet seems to be in order....

OK, neither one won either the Readers or Critics poll in 1972. THE YOU AND ME THAT USED TO BE by Jimmy Rushing won the Critics Poll, and THE INNER MOUNTING FLAME by The Dave Pell Octet ( ;) ) won the Readers Poll. But I didn't get to the '73 polls. It's a really messy closet.

Constellation was record of the year in the 1973 Downbeat Critic's poll. This is the third CD reissue for Sonny Criss Crisscraft. I believe the lastest reissue of Crisscraft has only 5 tracks where as the Muse CD had a bonus alternate track and a latter day track. Those bonus tracks helped as it was a very short playing time record.

Constellation was record of the year in the 1973 Downbeat Critic's poll. This is the third CD reissue for Sonny Criss Crisscraft. I believe the lastest reissue of Crisscraft has only 5 tracks where as the Muse CD had a bonus alternate track and a latter day track. Those bonus tracks helped as it was a very short playing time record.

Correct on all counts! CONSTELLATION tied w/McCoy's SAHARA in the Critics Poll. The Readers Poll winner that year was BIRDS OF FIRE, again by the Dave Pell Octet...

The Muse CD of CRISSCRAFT included an alternate of "Blues In My Heart" as well as "All The Things you Are" from the OUT OF NOWHERE session. I've been seeing some Muse CDs beginning to pop up in various bargain bins lately, so keep your eyes open. There's no sense in these reissues offering less than full value!

• 1 year later...

UP, because I just discovered this series. I was browsing in my local Schuler's (think Borders) tonight with the wife and child and ran across a Groove Holmes re-issue I'd never seen. Leary that it might be some Sonny Lester crap, I looked at the personnel and the track listing:

Cecil Bridgewater, Houston Person, Jimmy Ponder and Cecil Brooks III? Sounds like a Muse date!

And with a tune called "Ode To Larry Young" how could I go wrong?

Popped that baby in a minute ago and fer sure this is Muse. Then I found this thread.

I agree, the artwork is pretty atrocious. But the soundz is good!

I have a Groove Holmes from the old 32 Jazz series (the Muse catalogue). Don't have the title handy (not TIMELESS) but it was good stuff. A lot of the 32s still float around new & used, and Savoy has put a lot it back out on the market as well.

Been digging the Holmes/Ammons on Pacific Jazz of late.

Edited by ghost of miles

Has the Pete LaRoca been put out again? That was one of my faves in the old 32 Jazz series... and they chunked out quite a lot of good Woody Shaw as well. Man, some of the Muse catalogue has been out on CD three different times now... first through Muse in the late 1980s/early 90s, then through 32 Jazz, and now through Savoy.

What happened to 32 Jazz? I thought they'd made a million or three off their "Jazz for a Sexy Smiling Sunday Afternoon" series.