Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Live Recordings

Which one's the best?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi Folks!

I'm relatively new to Jazz. I started a small collection a few month ago and now I want to add a live-recording of Blakey and his Messengers to my growing collection. But which one is the one to get? I won't buy them all, 'cause there are so many other discs on my list, so which one would you recommend?

Greetz, Sonny

Don't have enough knowledge or familiarity with the Messengers' live music to make an informed choice, but keep in mind that there are two "Jazz Corner of the World" sets on Blue Note: the "Meet You atJCoftW" (w/Wayne) and the "AtJCoftW" (w/Hank).

Others to add to your list: various dates on Riverside from the early 60s and both volumes of Three Blind Mice (all are the sextet with Wayne, Freddie, Curtis and Cedar). Also, the two volumes (Buttercorn Lady and one I can't remember) from the Lighthouse in '66, with Keith Jarrett on piano.

Out of the stuff I've heard, I'd rank the Birdland '54 recordings slightly above the Bohemia '55. The "Meet You" is poorly recorded (though certainly listenable), but the music is superb and has really grown on me.

Guy

ed: In terms of "historical importance" (rather than quality of music), I think the Birdland and Bohemia recordings should be at the top of the list.

Edited by Guy

I have them all - and more. One not on the list that shouldn't be missed:

Ugetsu (Riverside/OJC) - Hubbard, Shorter, Fuller, Walton, Workman, Blakey - live at Birdland 1963.

Mike

:tup:tup:tup

But in terms of a starting point, grab either the Bohemia or Birdland sets. You can't go wrong with either, but my personal preference is the Bohemia date because a) it was my first bona fide jazz purchase and b) I generally prefer Mobley/Dorham over Donaldson/Brown.

Seems like there are a lot more live-recordings than I thought :g

I have them all - and more. One not on the list that shouldn't be missed:

Ugetsu (Riverside/OJC) - Hubbard, Shorter, Fuller, Walton, Workman, Blakey - live at Birdland 1963.

Sounds interesting - I keep that one in mind.

....but keep in mind that there are two "Jazz Corner of the World" sets on Blue Note: the "Meet You atJCoftW" (w/Wayne) and the "AtJCoftW" (w/Hank).

Yes, I know. But the latter is only available here as expensive import (US/Japan).

Also, the two volumes (Buttercorn Lady and one I can't remember) from the Lighthouse in '66, with Keith Jarrett on piano.

Same for this one. Import only.

Art Blakey in Paris w/Bud and Lee (and Barney)  Epic BA17017

Paris 59? Is it this one? Sounds interesting too.

But in terms of a starting point, grab either the Bohemia or Birdland sets. You can't go wrong with either, but my personal preference is the Bohemia date because a) it was my first bona fide jazz purchase and b) I generally prefer Mobley/Dorham over Donaldson/Brown.

I also tend to the Bohemia date because of Mobley. Like his sound :cool:

From a historical perspective the Bohemias get my nod but for pure pleasure I had to go with the May '61 concert from Paris.

Same problem as above: Import only :(

Greetz, Sonny

I had to go with Birdland if for no other reason than the MC announcer. (Can't remember his name right now...somebody help me out. I don't want to look it up)Pee Wee Marquette maybe??

Anyway, who can think of Art without thinking of Pee Wee introduce Mr... Art.... Blaaaaaaaaaakey!!!

Can't really go wrong with any of his live dates. I don't have Meet Me at the Jazz Corner--RVG but do have the others.

The Three Blind Mice date is excellent. I loved the Fuller, Hubbard, Walton line up of the Messengers.

I had to go with Birdland if for no other reason than the MC announcer. (Can't remember his name right now...somebody help me out. I don't want to look it up)Pee Wee Marquette maybe??

Anyway, who can think of Art without thinking of Pee Wee introduce Mr... Art.... Blaaaaaaaaaakey!!!

Now hear that in your mind's ear intoned by someone who's just inhaled helium..

Edited by Kalo

Seems like there are a lot more live-recordings than I thought :g

From a historical perspective the Bohemias get my nod but for pure pleasure I had to go with the May '61 concert from Paris.

Same problem as above: Import only :(

Greetz, Sonny

Is this a problem? I found mine on eBay a few years back, super cheap. Is this hard to find now?

I gotta go with the Birdland discs, mostly for Clifford Brown. Anything with Brownie on is worth having. Not that the rest of the band are slouches! :g

Close call, though. I have many live Messengers albums and they always deliver (put me down as another who loves Ugetsu). Blakey always put together great bands and made them play at the top of their game. And he would kick your ass if he thought you were coasting (saw him do it once, to Terence Blanchard).

The latest reincarnation of the Paris 1961 recordings is on two very cheap (10 Euro each) Laserlight/Delta 2CD sets. The mono sound is very good (french radio production).

http://www.deltamusic.de/index.php?id=28&L...n=4006408361589

http://www.deltamusic.de/index.php?id=28&L...n=4006408361282

Selections from the sets are available on a single SACD (not worth it IMHO)

http://www.deltamusic.de/index.php?id=28&L...n=4006408520191