Another NPR station picks up Night Lights

Great news--WNIN, the NPR member station in Evansville, Indiana approached me about a month ago about adding Night Lights to their Saturday schedule. I just got word that it will start airing there Saturday evenings at 10 on September 3. That will be earlier than the Bloomington broadcast, so I will include a link to their station when I post info for the show each week.

Thanks again for all of the support & supportive comments here--and the high standards & expectations, as there ain't no slackers in this crowd. :D

Beloved and worshipped all over the world but virtually unknown in his native USA?

zamfir-chuckle.jpg

Zamfir had a similar problem in Romania...

A tactless allusion, no doubt, to my confiding in you the Night Lights September schedule, which includes "Man With a Pan: Zamfir, the Early Years."

Sorry for letting the cat outta the bag. :P Hey, be sure to spin a few from his classic 'Ete D'amour' LP. I had to fight off the chicks whenever I played that one at our college dorm parties in '79! :cool: Maybe you can bring me on as a special guest during the program and I'll tell ya all about it? :excited:

1453.jpg

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

I'd steer clear of Zamfir's early years. He really didn't hit his stride and develop that special, signature sound we all know and love until he was in his 40's. It also helped when his manager suggested he adopt a Pele-like moniker and start calling himself Zamfir instead of Gheorghe Z.

Here's something else you probably don't know. Zamfir struggled for some time working out different sidemen. He really didn't find the right mix until around 1968. In that respect I kind of look at him as the Miles Davis of the pan flute. The other similarity to Davis was his tendency never to look back. He was always moving forward and looking for new musical challenges. Did you know he never recorded the same tune twice? So, when you hear a memorable tune like "Volga Boatmen", you're hearing it the one and only time he committed it to wax.

Here's another piece of Zamfir trivia. He coined the phrase, "one time...at band camp?" That's the line they cribbed for the first American Pie movie.

Don't look now, but a successful thread hi-jacking is underway.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James