WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

Thanks brownie. Just yesterday I had read about Fontaine in one of my books. Actually, my son's question was not limited to the World Cup, nor even just international competition. He wanted to know who scored the most goals in their entire career (including games with club teams). The same book I referred to states that Pele finished his career with 1,281 goals in 1,363 matches. Of course, Pele was among the first names I thought of, but the book doesn't definitively state that 1,281 is the most ever scored by one man. I suspect it may be, though...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't France finish third in 1958? Brazil beat home country Sweden 5-2 in the final. It was Pele's first great tournament, and it was also the first World Championship I watched on TV.

Yes, yes. Pele scored three of the Brazilian goals in that semifinal. Score at that semifinal was another 5-2 victory for Brazil. Pele's name is etched in my memory since :(

What a sublime player he was! And what a pleasure it was watching those fantastic Brazilian games. France could not be beaten by a better team!

You're absolutely right about Pele.

That Brazil team was the best I've ever seen, followed by the 1974 Dutch team and the 1998 French team.

Thanks brownie.  Just yesterday I had read about Fontaine in one of my books.  Actually, my son's question was not limited to the World Cup, nor even just international competition.  He wanted to know who scored the most goals in their entire career (including games with club teams).  The same book I referred to states that Pele finished his career with 1,281 goals in 1,363 matches.  Of course, Pele was among the first names I thought of, but the book doesn't definitively state that 1,281 is the most ever scored by one man.  I suspect it may be, though...

yup: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/gwr5/c...?recordid=45223

Well as Australia gets its head around facing Uruguay again, a pretty decent effort is being made of looking on the bright side:

Soc: Uruguay better outcome than Colombia: Arnold SoccerAust Colombia

By Guy Hand

MELBOURNE, Oct 13 AAP - The Socceroos have dodged the most lethal of the South American bullets which could have shot down their hopes of making their first WorldCup finals in more than 30 years, according to assistant coach Graham Arnold.

Arnold believes Uruguay is an easier assignment than having to play Colombia, a strife-torn and drug-troubled nation offering a selection of venues among the world's most inhospitable for away teams.

Options included the nation's capital Bogota and Medellin - the city where Colombian soccer player Andres Escobar was shot dead in 1994 after an own goal which led to the nation being knocked out of the World Cup finals.

The Colombians play most of their home matches in the port city of Barranquilla - with heat and humidity Arnold believes would have severely hindered the Socceroos' hopes of World Cup qualification.

``This is a better option than having to go to Colombia,'' Arnold said after Uruguay beat Argentina 1-0 to claim fifth place in the South American group and book a playoff against the Socceroos next month.

``We would have preferred Chile, but we prefer Uruguayto Colombia definitely.

``Barranquilla has 40 degree heat and 100 percent humidity - the players wouldn't have been able to handle it.

``And most of Uruguay's players will have to come backfrom Europe through South America.

``Seventy-five percent of the Colombian team are based in Colombia so they would not have had to travel.''

Arnold also said revenge would be a powerful motivatorfor the Socceroos who had been part of the 2001 campaign which faltered in Montevideo.

Australia lost 3-0 to Uruguay there and played poorly, looking overwhelmed by the occasion and the hostile atmosphere generated in the Estadio Centenario.

``The players are looking forward to it because they'd like revenge,'' Arnold said.

``It's better to go to the known than the unknown at times.

``This (Uruguay) is a known. The players are more ready than they were four years ago.

``Some of the guys who were 22 or 23 then are now 26or 27 and more mature.''

AAP

Kenny, it's a pity that Australia don't get top play the 4th place finisher in the CONCACAF zone, Trinidad & Tobago, rather than Uruguay. That would have been a little easier I think. Instead, Trinidad & Tobago play Bahrain to determine which team will advance to the World Cup finals.

Anyway, the main thing is that England have qualified :P . All is right with the world.

Also, I would not expect too much from Japan or South Korea next year. They have both been fairly awful recently.

John, the whole deal changes for the next cup anyhow, from an Australian perspective.

Australia will leave the Oceania group and compete as part of the Asian group.

I doubt this will be much easier; the efforts of South Korea and Japan at the last cup were far and away the most thrilling and inspiring part of the tournament for me.

But there will be numerous positives for us in the Asia move:

* No longer facing the fifth-placed South American side.

* Regular, tough international competition. Up until now, Australia's erratic cup campaigns have been marked by easy Oceanania games against the likes of NZ and Solomons, then haphazard friendlies, followed by the South American nightmare.

* There will also be intra-club activity with Asian sides, which will hopefully push our new A-League - already off to a flying start (the crowds have been great!) - to a whole nutha level.

* And, perhaps best of all, football may play a big part in creating better understanding and less mistrust and ill-will between Australia and its northern neighbours. In these days of bombs in Bali, this game just may do what politicians, conferences, talk fests, trade talks and disaster aid can never acheive.

i have to agree with Brownie on everything he said about the french squad except that i'm not happy that we qualified for the WC2006.

anyway, i'm expecting to suffer like hell in june

it was funny to watch the game against Switzerland on a restaurant when i was in Paris.

people were disturbed and intrigued by this lunatic brazilian complaining all the time in portuguese or french and who suffered the whole game with such a poor performance.

i can only hope Domenech to be terminated soon since i can't understand why we have Gallas as Left Back. Dhorasoo and Malouda don't have the necessary skills to be on the starting lineup and about Zidane, Vieira, Henry & Trezeguet i already mentioned what i think about them right when they play for France

allez les bleus

Marcus

ps: turkey & switzerland is 50-50 IMHO. spain and czech republic will be in germany

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, England - Argentina was a very good game. England scored two goals in the last 5 minutes of the game to edge it (Owen twice) but Argentina played very well too. Games between these two countries are never friendly and both teams really went for it. Great match.

Yes, England - Argentina was a very good game. England scored two goals in the last 5 minutes of the game to edge it (Owen twice) but Argentina played very well too. Games between these two countries are never friendly and both teams really went for it. Great match.

It was one of the best games I've seen in the last months. I hope the English team will play in same level in the world cup in Germany.

It was one of the best games I've seen in the last months. I hope the English team will play in same level in the world cup in Germany.

So do I! ;)

That was an amazing performance after some of the drivel we've been playing for about the last year or so. We have some great individuals but haven't been playing well as a team at all, but last night was the most exciting friendly I can remember.

I look forward to seeing more of Riquelme in the World Cup , what a great player.