WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

I'm not a fan of the England team, i.e. the kind of football they play (no offense intended!), but this was a great game against an excellent opponent.

None taken, I respect your views Hans.

I agree about the game though , lets hope the tournament can produce more of the same.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you're right about Georgie, of course ;)

Unfortunately, not having really become aware of the international game until the early 1970's, I never got to see him play when in his prime. But I still got to see him play! I've forgotten how old he was when he joined the NASL, but he still had a few tricks left. :cool:

And you're right about Georgie, of course ;)

Unfortunately, not having really become aware of the international game until the early 1970's, I never got to see him play when in his prime. But I still got to see him play! I've forgotten how old he was when he joined the NASL, but he still had a few tricks left. :cool:

Did you see the movie about Georgie?

Not bad at all.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0181311/?fr=c2l...;fc=1;ft=1;fm=1

Australia lost 1-0 in Paraguay and the return leg is tonight.

We desperately needed an away goal.

A single score by Uruguay tonight and we're outta there.

My vintage Socceroo pessimisim is kicking, a great wall of gloom, but ...

As others have pointed out ...

*Brazil and Argentina have never beaten Uruguay in Montevideo in a serious game either, so ourt result was actually pretty good (and heaps better than the 3-0 thrashing of four years ago).

*Hiddinck will have assumed he would be going into the Sydney leg on the back of a 1-0 loss months ago.

*Tonight, the Aussies will have an 83,000 crowd baying for glory!

It's just that I can't see our guys scoring two goals AND keeping Uruguay out for 90 minutes.

So it may down to a 1-0 win, extra time and penalties - and that'll do!

Kenny,

please consider 83.000 + 1 (myself) :D

i think it's absolutely unfair the australian continent not having a direct place for the WC. Conmebol has only 10 teams affiliated for 4 places available plus this extra one.

4 years ago the Socceroos were poorly hosted in Uruguay and FIFA never did anything against the Uruguyan association

Marcus

Kenny,

please consider 83.000 + 1 (myself)  :D

i think it's absolutely unfair the australian continent not having a direct place for the WC. Conmebol has only 10 teams affiliated for 4 places available plus this extra one.

4 years ago the Socceroos were poorly hosted in Uruguay and FIFA never did anything against the Uruguyan association

Marcus

Marcus - Thanks for that. We need all the help we can get. Yes, there was a certain boorishness last time around. And then, this time, they changed the start time in Montevideo twice to suit their own ends. Even Ronaldo has come out and gone close to accusing them of being cheats.

Recoba has raised the temperature a bit by claiming Uruguay has some sort of divine right to play at the World Cup that Australia doesn't. And maybe that's a reflection of insecurity.

Thankfully, this is the last time we will have to go through this BS - next time we're in Asia. Which won't be easier, but will surely be fairer.

I really hope Australia will qualify this time, after what happened four years ago.

I wonder what Guus Hiddink's tactics will be. He has achieved some wonderful things with PSV Eindhoven last season, and after a very shaky start this season looks OK too.

Good luck!

Three hours to go. Arghhhhhhh!

As I said above, Guus will have factored in a 1-0 away loss right from the get go. Sure a 2-1 loss or 1-1 draw woulda been better, but Uruguay is one of the toughest away games anywhere.

Like Uruguay, his selection for the away game was restricted by a number of Australian players sitting on yellow cards. No such problem tonight, so Tim Cahill will get a run. He's been doing pretty good for Everton.

Likewise, you can be sure he will have already thought out a penalty shoot-out tactic, should Australia get a 1-0 win in a few hours.

BTW, I don't begrudge the soccer might of South America four or even five automatic places.

The unfairness comes with Australia having arun-up that involves only sporadic and few games against the likes of NZ, the Solomons and Jamaica. And then playing the fifth-placed South American side, Uruguay for two cups in a row, which has been playing a long series of incredibly hard games against the likes of Argentina and Brazil just to play us.

With all due respect to Hans, as I lived in Uruguay when I was a kid and still root for them, this is a tragedy and there is nothing to congratulate from my point of view :(

My commiserations, Brad.

Sorry, but I don't like Uruguay's style, and I hate their frequent foul play.

I can't say I blame you Hans but I would have liked to see them make it. However, since I also lived in Brazil, Spain and Trinidad, I have other teams to root for. I don't Trinidad will make it through. They don't seem good enough to win at Bahrain. Spain should be in easy with the 4 goal lead.

I can't say I blame you Hans but I would have liked to see them make it.  However, since I also lived in Brazil, Spain and Trinidad, I have other teams to root for.  I don't Trinidad will make it through.  They don't seem good enough to win at Bahrain.  Spain should be in easy with the 4 goal lead.

Trinidad & Tobago lead Bahrain 1-0 with 30 minutes to go.