WORLD CUP 2006 / GERMANY

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope Australia will qualify this time, after what happened four years ago.

I wonder what Guus Hiddink's tactics will be. He has achieved some wonderful things with PSV Eindhoven last season, and after a very shaky start this season looks OK too.

Good luck!

Slovakia lead Spain 1-0 but they need to score another 3!

Edited by ASNL77

The 32 participating countries:

Europe (14)

Germany (hosts)

Croatia

Czech Republic

England

France

Italy

Netherlands

Poland

Portugal

Serbia-Montenegro

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Ukraine

South America (4)

Argentina

Brazil

Ecuador

Paraguay

North and Central America (4)

Costa Rica

Mexico

Trinidad and Tobago

United States

Africa (5)

Angola

Ghana

Ivory Coast

Togo

Tunisia

Asia (4)

Iran

Japan

Saudi Arabia

South Korea

Oceania (1)

Australia

Edited by J.A.W.

Biggest suprise for me are the African teams, no Nigeria, no Cameroon, no South Africa :o

I'm glad to see the new teams from Africa though and also Australia, Trinidad / Tobago and especially the return of the Netherlands.

Looking at the list I put the US in the middle of the pack. Despite their top 10 FIFA ranking, I wouldn't bet on the US against any of the European teams.

With all due respect to Hans, as I lived in Uruguay when I was a kid and still root for them, this is a tragedy and there is nothing to congratulate from my point of view :(

I guess it depends on your perspective.

After all the dour, arrogant gamesmanship and - yes - cheating from Uruguay, it's very cool with me some luck went Australia's way for the first time in about 30 years. Brad, you may have lived there once, but why is it such a tragedy? They were beaten fair and square.

My reaction: YYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! It was the most nerve-wracking night of my life.

wba1soccer_wideweb__470x221,0.jpg

There was a time not so long ago when just getting there would have been enough for Australia. Those days are gone. We won't win the cup. But progressing to the round of 16 or beyond, with good preparation and a super coach, actually seems more realistic than the nightmare of playing the fifth-placed South American country when thoroughly under-done. Bring it on!

Edited by kenny weir

Kenny,

Your perspective is from a partisan point of view as is mine. It's a tragedy when as a former two time champion they don't get in. Not a tragedy in the real sense of the word, but in the sporting sense. I'm sure if the shoe were on the other foot you wouldn't be a happy camper either. It's not my just having lived there once. I root strongly for all Spanish speaking countries but esp. those that I lived in.

I wish you luck but I don't see them moving on. Sour grapes, maybe, but reality too.

Kenny,

Your perspective is from a partisan point of view as is mine.  It's a tragedy when as a former two time champion they don't get in.  Not a tragedy in the real sense of the word, but in the sporting sense.  I'm sure if the shoe were on the other foot you wouldn't be a happy camper either.  It's not my just having lived there once.  I root strongly for all Spanish speaking countries but esp. those that I lived in.

I wish you luck but I don't see them moving on.  Sour grapes, maybe, but reality too.

I don't see Australia progressing to the last 16 either. I watched parts of their games against Uruguay on TV and they're simply not good enough, despite Guus Hiddink. By the way, Trinidad and Tobago, who also qualified today, were even worse (appalling even...)

Kenny, It's a tragedy when as a former two time champion they don't get in.

Whatever.

The simple truth is that being former two-time winners is what did them in. They had surreal expectations based only on a glorious past. They believed they belonged in the finals regardless of relative merits of the teams involved, especially when it came to playing dear old Australia, not a real football nation and all that. Well they were sticthed up. The two teams were very close, but in the end even a missed penalty could not deny the Aussies.

Are you aware of the farcical BS that went on with the starting time for the Montevideo match? But even that blatant cheating couldn't help them. And in the end it was a distraction for them

Excuse me while I gloat.

I don't see Australia progressing to the last 16 either. I watched parts of their games against Uruguay on TV and they're simply not good enough, despite Guus Hiddink. By the way, Trinidad and Tobago, who also qualified today, were even worse (appalling even...)

Well you're most likely right in that, but it takes all kinds to make up the World Cup. Why have qualifying at all? Let's just make football's self-acclaimed royal nations permanent finalists. And a freaking bore that would be - no Japan, no South Korea, no Cameroon. No me.

And Hiddink got us there with just four months with a demorlaised team that had been absolutely slaughtered at the Confederations Cup. He's got another seven months now.

The attitude of some you footy bluebloods bemuses me. Go the underdogs! No matter where they're from. And that includes, for me, the US. Very much so.

Surely the over-acheiving underdog is vital to the wellbeing of the game. Don't cha like the romance of it all?

Edited by kenny weir

Well you're most likely right in that, but it takes all kinds to make up the World Cup. Why have qualifying at all? Let's just make football's self-acclaimed royal nations make up the finals every year. And a freaking bore that would be - no Japan, no South Korea, no Cameroon. No me.

And Hiddink got us there with just four months with a demorlaised team that had been absolutely slaughtered at the Confederations Cup. He's got another seven months now.

The attitude of some you footy bluebloods bemuses me. Go the underdogs! No matter where they're from. And that includes, for me, the US. Very much so.

I don't think the Aussies could claim to be underdogs against Uruguay. And, really, against:

Croatia

Poland

Switzerland

Ukraine

Ecuador

Paraguay

Costa Rica

Trinidad and Tobago

United States

Angola

Ghana

Ivory Coast

Togo

Tunisia

Iran

Japan

Saudi Arabia, and

South Korea, the Socceroos should fancy their chances, or betray a complete lack of ambition.

Well you're most likely right in that, but it takes all kinds to make up the World Cup. Why have qualifying at all? Let's just make football's self-acclaimed royal nations make up the finals every year. And a freaking bore that would be - no Japan, no South Korea, no Cameroon. No me.

I don't think the Aussies could claim to be underdogs against Uruguay. And, really, against:

Croatia

Poland

Switzerland

Ukraine

Ecuador

Paraguay

Costa Rica

Trinidad and Tobago

United States

Angola

Ghana

Ivory Coast

Togo

Tunisia

Iran

Japan

Saudi Arabia, and

South Korea, the Socceroos should fancy their chances, or betray a complete lack of ambition.

Pace, I should add, in some cases the FIFA world rankings.

It's a tragedy when as a former two time champion they don't get in.

I don't see where the tragedy's here.

Long time now than the "Celeste" plays boring & brutal football, alas.

They win the World Cup for the first time the first time they play the World Cup.

That was 75 years ago and the second time 55 years ago.

Man for some, it's more than a life time.

If this is a tragedy, well the fact that Hungary, the world best team in the fifties (of the last century), didn't qualified can be count also as a tragedy.

So, welcome to the Aussie even if it will be tough for them to make there way anywhere

Edited by P.L.M

And Brad, you don't know me. Had Uruguay won, it's true - I wouldn't be a happy camper. But I would congratulate the winning team, as the whole country did for England when they beat us in a magnificent final of the rugby World Cup.

Uruguay coach Jorge Fossati: "I'm proud of my boys and I congratulate the Australian team. I wish them a good and successful campaign in Germany."

That's the spirit, mate!

Edited by kenny weir

And Brad, you don't know me. Had Uruguay won, it's true - I wouldn't be a happy camper. But I would congratulate the winning team, as the whole country did for England when they beat us in a magnificent final of the rugby World Cup.

Uruguay coach Jorge Fossati: "I'm proud of my boys and I congratulate the Australian team. I wish them a good and successful campaign in Germany."

That's the spirit, mate!

Well, to set the cat amongst the pigeons (and I write this as an Englishman): I believe the entire Australian nation should have stood up after the rugby world cup and said 'this is a f*cking outrage that such a boring, lifeless team can kick their way to success in a sport which is predominantly about picking the pill up and running with it'. We were so dull it was a joke.

P.s. on the brutality thing, I think it's part of the romance of the game. So many of the great sides (an exception that comes to mind is, I think, the Dutch team of the 70s) had the hard man: the Austrians of the 30s, the Hungarians of the 50s. The Milan side of the early 90s had Baresi; the Argentines of the 70s had Rattin. Hell - look at some of the challenges Carlos Alberto put in in the World Cup in '70 etc. etc. etc.

Well, to set the cat amongst the pigeons (and I write this as an Englishman): I believe the entire Australian nation should have stood up after the rugby world cup and said 'this is a f*cking outrage that such a boring, lifeless team can kick their way to success in a sport which is predominantly about picking the pill up and running with it'. We were so dull it was a joke.

Red, as Kiwi living Australia, I reckon that's very funny and pretty cool, too. There's some truth in what you say, but I still think it was a cracker of a final.

Off on a tangent: How things have changed. The Wallabies have lost seven in a row and Fiji almost beat the six nations champs, Wales. Blimey. And there's even a possibility of GB/NZ final in the tri-nations rugby league!

On the brutality thing: Aussies admire good, hard play as much as anybody. But it's a fine line. And ironically in the end, the graceless gamesmanship of Uruguay, not just on the field, probably tipped the balance Australia's way in a funny sort of way.

Congratulations Austraila and good luck. Hopefully you won't start in the same group as Brazil.

Chris: I'm not sure that would make that much difference. Let's face it - for each the strugglers, there is going at least of the super teams per group. It's the other two the likes of Australia will be hoping to beat.

Is there always a group of death? How are the group lineups decided? Anyone?

Edited by kenny weir

The enf of the Turkey vs. Switzerland match in Istanbul turned ugly when Turkish players turned bad losers and attacked Swiss players in the stadium tunnel on their way to the locker room, after Turkey won 4-2 but failed to qualify on goals differentials.

From the AP story on the incidents:

Players from both teams fought in the tunnel on the way to the locker room following the game and one Swiss player was reportedly hospitalized.

Defender Stephane Grichting was taken to Acibadem Hospital following the scuffle, the Anatolia news agency reported.

Swiss player Benjamin Huggel kicked Turkey trainer Mehmet Ozdilek as the two teams entered the tunnel after the game, but it was unclear what prompted Huggel. Turkey's Alpay Ozalan then tried to kick Huggel in retaliation, instead making contact with a Switzerland player in front of him.

Huggel then hit Ozalan on the back of the head and the two players wrestled each other to the ground, after which other players joined in.

Edited by brownie