Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane

Cliff Englewood

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest youmustbe

At the budget price being offered here at J&R $9.99 it should do great. I hope it does. Remember BN broke Norah by selling her 1st record at a low, almost budget price. And that's how Kind Of Blue went gazooks...Sony had it at $9.99 for a long time here in NY.

Just more examples of how cds are overpriced.

BTW There's always one in every crowd, and I happen to be the one this time, but it's nice, but after all these years, I don't find the record that exciting. Not only do I prefer the 3 studio cuts, which I'm told were done in 1958, but I much prefer Griffin. Johnny goes his own way and doesn't fall into Monk's cadences.

Listening to this for the fourth time... and I have to say it lives up to expectations for me. Sure you can quibble about the merits of the sound but given the circumstances of the recording and its (re-)discovery it seems pretty insignificant. That these recordings exist at all is cause for celebration.

I don't agree that Coltrane sounds like the player of 1964. Yes, he's playing with the steely intensity that we expect particularly from mid-period Trane but that was already present in the 1958 live recordings with Miles (Coltrane seemed to shift up a gear or two when playing live, even over the mercurial playing of his studio recordings).

The real delight here for me is Monk. Rarely have I heard Thelonious to be quite so happy, jaunty, witty and inventive. And he's all over that keyboard! For any who doubt Monk's innate musicality this is a lesson in his peculiar brand of angular virtuosity. He just seems to be delighting in the playing; a combination of venue, instrument and musical colleagues I would guess. The thrust and parry between the two principals (and also their rhythm partners) reminds me why jazz is the great music that it is.

It's funny, I find the real discovery here to be Coltrane. Coltrane framed by Monk in this way is absolutely....everything. Monk sounds great too. Monk being Monk and playing Monk songs. But Coltrane is bobbing and weaving, fitting his concept fully into what Monk's music is demanding. Yet unlike other tenors, Coltrane explodes with Monk. He's been set free here and you can hear it on so many levels. Just mho.... :D

... I much prefer Griffin...

Up to this point, I agree with you. "In Action" and "Misterioso" are my favorite live Monk records. I look forward to arrival of the "Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane" disc from Amazon (within the next few days via SuperSaver shipping :mellow: ) to hear if my opinion changes. I'm expecting great music, even if Monk-JG is not supplanted.

It's funny, I find the real discovery here to be Coltrane.  Coltrane framed by Monk in this way is absolutely....everything.  Monk sounds great too.  Monk being Monk and playing Monk songs.  But Coltrane is bobbing and weaving, fitting his concept fully into what Monk's music is demanding.  Yet unlike other tenors, Coltrane explodes with Monk.  He's been set free here and you can hear it on so many levels.  Just mho.... :D

I can't disagree with any of that.

And as much as I adore the recordings with Johnny Griffin, the level of interaction between Monk and Trane here is quite staggering (and perhaps even a little surprising given the difference in their approach to instrumental technique). They seemed to have achieved such profound empathy and in such a short time span. It doesn't just feel like Coltrane sitting in with the Monk trio (which I kind of felt about 'Discovery'), it feels like a fully integrated group. This is one of those releases that is genuinely revelatory.

It's funny, I find the real discovery here to be Coltrane.  Coltrane framed by Monk in this way is absolutely....everything.  Monk sounds great too.  Monk being Monk and playing Monk songs.  But Coltrane is bobbing and weaving, fitting his concept fully into what Monk's music is demanding.  Yet unlike other tenors, Coltrane explodes with Monk.  He's been set free here and you can hear it on so many levels.  Just mho.... :D

I can't disagree with any of that.

And as much as I adore the recordings with Johnny Griffin, the level of interaction between Monk and Trane here is quite staggering (and perhaps even a little surprising given the difference in their approach to instrumental technique). They seemed to have achieved such profound empathy and in such a short time span. It doesn't just feel like Coltrane sitting in with the Monk trio (which I kind of felt about 'Discovery'), it feels like a fully integrated group. This is one of those releases that is genuinely revelatory.

I totally agree. It's amazing what the approaches of Monk and Coltrane get from the SAME music, completely opposite, yet exactly the same. It's like hearing a conversation between two people from an unknown land speaking a mysterious language unfamiliar to the ear. To hear what Monk plays on Evidence and then to hear Coltrane on the same changes is staggering.

Have to say I heard it yesterday for the first time all the way through.....it was really nice I must say. The sound was good and well produced in IMHO but I was not looking for too much I guess.

It was a more mature younger Coltrane I was hearing and they certainly gelled well. As for copy control...didn't last too long so I told! :P

As for copy control...didn't last too long so I told! :P

Is this an olde englishe expression with which I am unfamiliar? I take it the Euro edition of this disk *is* cc-ed?

:D

More like bad typing...I was told it was cc ed here too by a guy who was bragging to me about having already on his mp3 player as he got it on usenet :g

I heard "through the grapevine" they hope to sell 100,000 copies of this.

This wouldn't surprise me. I haven't seen this kind of demand for a new release since the Bird & Diz on Uptown (which we couldn't get for several weeks). When a small store like mine gets several calls every day for something, we know it's going to be a hit.

Also, I heard that the payout to the Monk & Coltrane estates was $250,000. They wouldn't have come up with this kind of scratch unless they knew it was a moneymaker.

If they do get to that figure it would be great especially in these very impoverised times for large global record corps!

Only joking....in fact I think stuff like this made me sit up and listen mainly because of who was playing and the marketing done by Blue Note FOR ONCE!

Would it not have been nice to seen this for the Andrew Hill set ...you imagine the stuff...an interview with Andrew ....Cuscuna and the guys chewing the fat on video about the remastering etc...

It would have made my day at least

Unless they come out with videos of Blue Note sessions you know by Stanley or Hank or Lee by a secret fan close to RVG.... its a close seecond best

Now wouldn't that not be nice :beee: