Oktoberfest!

catesta

I love a good Oktoberfest and am happy as hell to be in NYC this year.

Satisfy your inner German lush on Sunday, Oct. 2 at the New York City Oktoberfest on Lexington Avenue between 42nd and 57th streets. Along with more lagers than you could ever imagine, you can get all the bratwurst, pretzels and whole chickens that your heart desires. After a few drinks, you won’t even remember donning the lederhosen and clog dancing up on that bar with Klaus.

Anyone have plans to drink a few at your local fest?

Edited by catesta

I actually just picked up some Erdinger Octoberfest Weiss. I never even heard of it. Erdinger certainly didn't have a tent when I went back in 1999. They must just be jumping on the bandwagon.

BTW, it isn't that good. I much prefer the hefe weiss. :)

Oh yeah, speaking of German beer, is anyone else getting sticker shock? The Euro is killing us. It used to be I could get a 500 ml bottle for around $1.75-2.00. Now, most are >$3.00! The only one around here that hasn't gone crazy is Franziskaner. I have no idea why it's still around $2.

Kevin

I have yet to find an American-brewed beer that tastes "German". A couple have come close, but none have gotten it. Weingard's Hefe Weiss comes very close but the bitter finish misses badly. In fact, many American beers favor the bitter side.

As for Helles, I've never found a good one here. Certainly not as good as Weihenstephaner. BTW, anyone got any other Helles recs? Paulaner is like German Budweiser. I think I got spoiled from my travels over in Germany. There was this local brewery in Pfaffenhofen that made Helles from heaven. I wish I could find out the name and see if it's exported.

I suppose if you're a Pilsener fan, there are many US beers that taste similar to their German counterpart but since I am not a Pilsener fan... :)

Kevin

I have yet to find an American-brewed beer that tastes "German".

True. I think it has to do with the various strains of yeast that have been tinkered with and jealously guarded for hundreds of years over there. You don't have 'em over here. It would be next to impossible to replicate a Paulaner or Hofbrau.

That's a mighty fine German beer, Chris.  I used to buy that fairly frequently, but now it's over $10 a six pack. :wacko:

That is nuts! Almost as whacked out as the 5-liter mini-keg of Stiegl (Austria) I saw a few days ago. Great brew...but $50??? :crazy: I'm getting a case of Hofbrau for $25-30......but the kegs are getting a bit steep @ $170. Could be shifting back to Miller Lite next year.

NOT!

All ready to go today. Last week while out walking, I saw a small table w/stools that a neighbor had out on the curb for trash pick-up. As soon as I spotted 'em, I just knew what they'd be good for. I plucked them up and brought them to a local artisan who affixed some 12" Hofbrau paper medallions of mine and poured a thick 1/8" coat of polyurethene on 'em. Picked 'em up yesterday. Came out great....perfect little tables for the party! The local beer distributor swung by last night to deliver a tap..and when he saw them he pulled out his phone and snapped a few pictures of them to send of to the Hofbrau rep. I should quickly patent the design, lest the brewery start manufacturing 'em and rake in all the $$. :w

It's that one man's trash is another's treasure thing in action again. :cool:

What a major disappointment.

This was the place to be if you wanted to buy a cashmere scarf, a purse, a subscription to the Times, eat a Gyro or get a shoulder massage from an Asian man.

If you were looking for German food, drink, music, or tradition, it was nowhere to be found on Lexington. I should have known better and stayed in Queens.

I had to go on down to 7th Street and Avenue C for the real deal.

Oktoberfest

What a major disappointment.

This was the place to be if you wanted to buy a cashmere scarf, a purse, a subscription to the Times, eat a Gyro or get a shoulder massage from an Asian man.

If you were looking for German food, drink, music, or tradition, it was nowhere to be found on Lexington. I should have known better and stayed in Queens.

I had to go on down to 7th Street and Avenue C for the real deal.

Oktoberfest

Those NYC street things can be kinda generic.

I have yet to find an American-brewed beer that tastes "German". A couple have come close, but none have gotten it. Weingard's Hefe Weiss comes very close but the bitter finish misses badly. In fact, many American beers favor the bitter side.

Hey, maybe THAT'S why I can't stand them.