What’s some of greatest discoveries in jazz?

Hardbopjazz

I'm a little late to this, so I apologize if I'm repeating info - but what of that 1953 Kenton Band? I think that was the tour with Bird and Dave Schildkraut (and there's a funny story about someone complaining that Bird was practicing too late at night, and it was really Dave, who was quite proud to be mistaken this way) - are there recordings?

Yep. There was one released this year on the British Jasmine label called "Artistry in Paris." It is the complete Kenton Paris concert from September '53 ( "Zoot" on the Mosaic set comes from this concert). Sound is rather mediocre, though.

The Kenton '53 European tour has been documented on CD's and LP by a variety of small labels like Artistry, Astral, Status and others. Don't know how how many of these are still available, but they have generally better sound than the Paris concert.

Bird was not on that tour. I think it was in either in late '53 or in '54 that he toured with a festival package that included the Kenton band and had some solo features with the band backing him up. One CD of that tour is on Artistry called "Kenton Plays Holman Live" (extensive and marvellous Lee Konitz solos on that CD, too).

Edited by John Tapscott

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should add a quite fantastic discovery I made myself, though it has been kept something of a secret, for reasons I cannot go into - years ago the blues singer Louise Bogan cut a record of Shave It Dry; there was an EXTREMELY obscene version that for years only existed as a very beat up copy, reissued on Sony and by Stash, but almost impossible to understand - so imagine my surprise when, about 5 years ago, I was going through some 78s I had been given and one turns out to be a one-off type recording of the original, non-censored Shave it Dry! Very clear, easy to understand the words - this is the version that Sony Legacy put out after I restored it and sent it to them - there was also another dirty record by Bogan in the same batch, of a different song, called Till the Cows Come Home, which Legacy also put out. And, in the same box - never issued, but very precious to me - was a Gene Autry, one-off, obscene version of Blackbird (a reall hoot; he sings: I put my hand beneath your dress/ there I found a blackbird's nest/bye bye Cherry/I may not have a lot/but what I got will tickle your twat/Bye Bye cherry)

Not as big as the Monk/Trane or BirdnDiz, but what about the discovery of Chico Hamilton's Original Ellington Suite w/Eric Dolphy?

That's what came to mind for me. I agree that it's not as big a discovery, but the story of how this was discovered is as improbably amazing as the story behind the Bird and Diz at Town Hall discovery.

OK, I've obviously been living in a cave for several years. :ph34r:

I've never heard this -- when'd it come out?? What's the story??

:ph34r:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Not as big as the Monk/Trane or BirdnDiz, but what about the discovery of Chico Hamilton's Original Ellington Suite w/Eric Dolphy?

That's what came to mind for me. I agree that it's not as big a discovery, but the story of how this was discovered is as improbably amazing as the story behind the Bird and Diz at Town Hall discovery.

OK, I've obviously been living in a cave for several years. :ph34r:

I've never heard this -- when'd it come out?? What's the story??

:ph34r:

The Story

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Miles Quintet with Coltrane live date that was packaged with the Round About Midnight Legacy Edition.

Does anyone have this? How does it sound? Is the performance any good? Or is this just for completists only?

I see on the Your Music thread that it is backordered there, so they must have sold quite a few. I wonder how many more they would have sold if they hadn't bundled it with the other album that most folks already have.