What's Your Sport?

We've had a few threads discussing sports from a fan's perspective. I'm wondering what (if any) sports folks around here play.

I love playing sports. Going back to high school, I've played baseball, football (which I totally sucked at), basketball (pretty shakey there, too), tennis, racquetball, and golf in addition to (once upon a time) running track. These days I'm focused on tennis, basketball, and my rapidly improving golf game. I'd love to get back in to playing baseball, but due to time considerations and the expense of getting a permit to play in NYC, it's just not going to happen.

Played baseball in high school. Ice Hockey in local leagues for about 15 years. Softball for 25 years. Serious tennis for about six years. Now it's nothing but golf. The hardest thing I've ever tried to do. I know lots of people don't even think it's a sport, but just try doing it even reasonably well. Very frustrating. Especially for someone with a fairly volatile personality.

Up over and out.

I play basketball all the time, but was way too into skateboarding in school to bother with joining the team (that's my way of coping with getting cut from the freshman team and having guys I torched for years beat me onto the roster with effort alone. I missed practice all the time and was uncoachable...). I've practiced shooting the ball since I was a child but I haven't competed in a 5 on 5 setting in my life as much as the last couple of years. I'm a better player now than I ever was, but I was never too shabby. I have speed, good leaping ability, and pretty good fundamentals. I'm getting better at thinking the game and creating plays.

I still skateboard occasionally at 27. I estimate I skateboarded every day it didn't rain for a stretch of about seven years from 11-18. It becomes something else once mastered, pretty cool to just ride around and pop ollies over obstacles, grind benches, charge hills...I'm not the most technical, but I do some mean wall rides and have pretty big pop.

I also snowboard which is unbelievably fun. I invested in a Mammoth pass this year so I'm stoked and looking forward to hitting the slopes.

Some say skateboarding/snowboarding aren't sports, so I guess hoops are my sport.

Edited by Noj

I played soccer as a kid, and because all of the other kids wanted the glamorous positions (center, left wing, right wing, and goalie) I was always on defense. As a matter of consequence, I became an excellent defense-man. I haven't played formally in years, but I can still kick the ol' ball around, and I can still block with the best of them. It's funny how you never really forget the skills you learn as a kid. I'm teaching my daughter how to kick the ball and make it go exactly where you want. It's all in how you kick it!

In CURRENT descending order of current participation:

Running

Rowing

Rugby

With a little tennis thrown in for good measure!

:rlol

Could you either explain the rules of rugby to me or provide me with a good link? I've watched it on FSN World a little, and it looks like a pretty cool sport, but just when I think I have the rules figured out something happens that proves me wrong.

I forgot to mention that another sport I'd love to try playing is cricket. I'm a fan from having watched matches on TV, but it's tough finding anyone who knows how to play or who wants to play in America.

These days I only run and play golf, but I was involved in sports for almost my entire life. Alexander, we'd better stick together here... we're liable to get bashed for being soccer players. ;)

I played mostly football, basketball, and baseball as a kid. I was always a quarterback in our neighborhood football games, and (if you'll forgive me for saying so :rolleyes: ) I was good. I could run past or around just about everybody I ever played against, and I had an accurate and strong arm (I could heave the ball about 60 yards). One of my regrets, though, is that I didn't played organized football in school. I think I saw myself as too small- even in the early 70's, most of the guys on the high school football team were bigger and more muscular than I was (I was 6' and about 155 pounds soaking wet). I played soccer all 4 years in high school instead, and we won a couple of championships. When I started high school in 1970, soccer was only just beginning to be offered as an organized sport. By the time I graduated in '74, I was interested in the international game, and have been following the World Cups and our national team since then. I get more excited (and nervous) watching the U.S. national soccer team than I do watching just about any other sports team- except perhaps when the Niners are in the Super Bowl or the Giants are in the World Series... or the Warriors are in the... oh, never mind that last example. :(

I played recreation soccer until I turned 40, and started to get too many ankle and knee problems. At least now I can play sports with my kids.

Golf is a bitch, BTW, for those who haven't tried it. I've been playing more regularly over the last couple of years with my brother, and instead of improving, I think I'm gettting worse... :huh:

i played lots of baseball as a kid. i tried out for my HS baseball team, but my grades, long hair (which i refused to cut) and cigarette smoking kept me from suiting up. i played lots of softball when i was serving in the USAF.

i was a powerlifter for many years. now i swim, walk, play lots of frisbee. i don't play or watch any group sports anymore.

In CURRENT descending order of current participation:

Running

Rowing

Rugby

With a little tennis thrown in for good measure!

:rlol

Could you either explain the rules of rugby to me or provide me with a good link? I've watched it on FSN World a little, and it looks like a pretty cool sport, but just when I think I have the rules figured out something happens that proves me wrong.

I forgot to mention that another sport I'd love to try playing is cricket. I'm a fan from having watched matches on TV, but it's tough finding anyone who knows how to play or who wants to play in America.

There are actually lots of people in America who both watch and play Cricket. They are usually West Indians (where the sport is very popular). If you start searching for Cricket clubs on-line, I bet you will find several.

US Cricket

Edited by Alexander

I've pretty much sucked at sports, all my life. I swam as a kid, and I guess I was OK at that. But as far as organized sports (meaning "team" sports), I was always "two-left-feet" on a good day.

I played water polo for two seasons, in 8th and 9th grades (ages 13 & 14), and I was just barely OK at that. But I played basketball, and was lousy, and tried tennis, and never got the hang of it either (not that I tried all that hard, in retrospect).

I never played sports after 9th grade.

BUT, I did start to play pool (if you can consider that a sport), when I was bartending part-time years ago. Then, when I moved to Kansas City, I played in a pool league, and actually got pretty good. I haven't played as much in the last few years, but if I put my mind to it - I could get most of my game back in a couple months.

I didn't play sports. I was always in the band.

Now, at 35, I am in the beginning stages of a running hobby. Been hitting the streets for about 3 weeks now. I still can't run a mile straight through yet, but I am gradually increasing my walk/run ratio. 4 miles is my longest distance to date. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. I don't think i'll get too much faster until I lose about 50 lbs. I'm a late bloomer, but I that doesn't bother me. I really want to get myself in shape so I can be competitive with others in my age group. Sure, it might take me until I'm 40 to do it, but I want to make exercise a part of my life.

Jim, running is the only athletic activity I miss. I'd sure like to get back into it, but I'm afraid my knees would go on strike if I didn't lose about 60 to 70 pounds before I start. There's something about the solitude and the calm. And that "runners high" they talk about is real!

Baseball til I was 15 and reached the end of the Little League life, softball in college, but most importantly, tennis since I was 12 or so. In fact, I just got back on the court in the last week. Hopefully with a few more sessions, my legs will stop screaming (though my back is aching the most today) :)

The thing is, I've got to get myself back into some semblence of physical conditioning and so I've also invested in a decent ball machine. The last time I was in great shape was also, not coincidentally, the time that I was playing extremely regularly, and my plan is to play 3-4 times a week between the partner I just met and the machine.

Tennis is the only competitive sport I play (although cross country skiing and mountain biking with my Dad can get competitive), and like Jim Dye, I was always in the band, making fun of the jocks! Another outdoor activity I enjoy is recreational tree climbing. The summer is flying by; I'd better get out there this weekend! B)