What music do/would you listen 2 to relieve stress

Hardbopjazz

Most any Bill Evans trio setting is a stress reliever for me. There's something about Bill Evans' introspective playing that clears my mind and gives me the ability to view things in a more precise and relaxed manner. Bill Evans causes me to feel melancholy (in a positive sort of way), inspired and comfortable.

I get stress relief from the KIND OF BLUE album too.

Edited by wesbed

Most Baroque music will do the trick. There's a reason why classical stations play primarily baroque during the morning rush hour time.

Medieval voices do it for me also. I have to confess - it's a little spiritually new age - but I have this CD playing on my laptop right now at work as I type this. "Chants of Heaven" (Shamballah records). 109471.jpg

Debussy's piano works are another fave. Indian classical music too.

If I listen to jazz all the time at work I get too much in the groove and less accomplished :D

Most any Bill Evans trio setting is a stress reliever for me. There's something about Bill Evans' introspective playing that clears my mind and gives me the ability to view things clearly.

What the man said :cool:

And a healthy dose of Stan at his best; The Roost Sessions with Al Haig especially or Jazz Samba Encore!

There are 2 different approaches. Usually I'll go more towards the soothing. Something West Coast, Modern Jazz Giants works wonders. There are many fine suggestions above too.

But sometimes the thing that works best is brain Drano. That's when I reach for Ascension.

Most Baroque music will do the trick. There's a reason why classical stations play primarily baroque during the morning rush hour time.

Medieval voices do it for me also. I have to confess - it's a little spiritually new age - but I have this CD playing on my laptop right now at work as I type this. "Chants of Heaven" (Shamballah records). 109471.jpg

Debussy's piano works are another fave. Indian classical music too.

If I listen to jazz all the time at work I get too much in the groove and less accomplished  :D

Off topic...

BTW - nice playing on that blues!!! Was sitting listening to it on my Itunes just now. I thought it somewhat bizarrely ended with a beautiful malletted cymbal...turns out John Arpin comes just before John Coltrane on my playlist, and somehow there is no daylight between my tracks at the moment!

BTW - nice playing on that blues!!! Was sitting listening to it on my Itunes just now. I thought it somewhat bizarrely ended with a beautiful malletted cymbal...turns out John Arpin comes just before John Coltrane on my playlist, and somehow there is no daylight between my tracks at the moment!

For the record - I'm not John Arpin. He's a much more fabulous player than I - from the Toronto area as well. When my Windows Media Player sorted out my MP3s on my computer, for some reason it took my digital piano recording and labelled it with another CD of his I own. Thanks nonetheless Red!

I kid you not, but I listen to Sepultura (especially ROOTS), and Anthrax to settle down.  Or charge up, whichever.  Jazz nor classical can do it for me during stress.  I need the noise.  The neighbors don't, but they haven't complained.....yet!  :)

VERY interesting choices. I'd go for "Chaos A.D." first, personally, but "Roots" isn't a bad choice.

Which Anthrax do you prefer?

Odd, isn't it? It helps me paint, though. Chaos is fine, but I like the experimenting on Roots -- use of Brazilian tribal beats, carnival, etc. And the most ear splitting vocals.....

From Anthrax, I actually like the Greater of Two Evils cd that came out last year. Not too many bands have a chance to revisit old tunes from years past and actually better them. This is one FINE metal cd. Sound is amazing as well!

Oh yes, sometimes I wind down to Larry Young's Unity.

Edited by Stefan Wood

Ralph Towner solo guitar stuff.

Some Eberhard Weber, probably not the stuff w/Garbarek cause he sometimes stresses me out a bit (after awhile).

Shirley Horn, for me Here's To Life in particular (the one w/all those great Mandel arrangements)

Ben Webster Music For Loving

Jarret's Koln concert.

Bill Evans for me too because I immediately start focusing on his changes and building process (the same way one does with Bach, isn't it interesting that there are so many parallels between those two?) and get my mind off of whatever was stressing me out.

Bach cello suites.

Getz, Konitz, Desmond. Sometimes Jug or Arnett Cobb!

Certain Chet Baker sides.

Some impressionism like Debussy (La Mer, for example).

Certain Stevie Wonder (like Innervisions)