Andrew Hill Signs with Blue Note

Kalo

Yeah, but what bothers me is the image of people 50 years from now making  tribute albums to tribute albums...

Similar to people having nostalgia for the nostalgia of previous eras. Like Nick-at-Nite showing reruns of "Happy Days." Let's all look back on a TV show from the 70s that looked back on life in the 50s. I'm reminded of a Dan Clowes cartoon from the early 90s in which he predicts that this very phenominon will come to pass. Two men are shown: One is dressed like Fonzie, the other like Brian Setzer (from the Stray Cats). The Fonzie guy says: "I'm not into the 50s per se. I'm really into the 50s revivial of the 70s."

To which the Brian Setzer guys says: "Bah! I'm more into an 80s 50s!"

Edited by Alexander

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Personnel from that jazzreview site:

Andrew Hill (piano,) Charles Tolliver (trumpet,) Greg Tardy (tenor sax, clarinet, bass clarinet,) John Hebert (bass,) Eric McPherson (drums)

Looks to be an excellent band. I heard Tardy with Hill in Boston about six years ago and he was burning. And I was very impressed by John Hebert subbing for the regular bassist in Sex Mob when they played here over a year ago. I'm looking forward to hearing this disc.

Found the cover (finally). Been checkin' for it, off and on, for a couple weeks now.

What a ZZZZZzzzzz.....

611983.jpg

CD Universe link (via Jazzmatazz): Time Lines

I agree that the cover is a snooze. It kind of reminds me of the high weeds that used to make Snoopy claustrophobic in the early days of "Peanuts."

There is an ad in the latest Jazz Times that has the orange and white inverted. In other words, the background is orange and the "lines" are white (as is Hill's name). Much more attractive IMHO.

In the RVG ads, I see the are also using a different cover for Tom Cat - perhaps the orignal Japanese cover?