How much did these cost brand new???

pasta

You know what is really amazing ...

I was thinking about that Mobley 10" that went for ~ $3k on ebay the other day.

Let's assume it sold for $5 in 1956. What kind of return is that?

Oddly, it is only 14% annually. In other words, if you had put $5 in the bank and earned 14% every year since, you would have $3,000 today. I'm not saying you could have found a bank to pay 14%, but it is a lower return than I would have expected. The fact that 49 years have passed is what makes the difference ...

So, adjusted for inflation, what would $5 in 1956 dollars -- be worth today in 2005 dollars??

Any while we're at it (again, adjusted for inflation) what would $4.00 to $5.00 in 1967-69 dollars -- be worth today in 2005 dollars??

Thanks!!!

$5 in 1956 would be worth $55 in 2005 dollars, assuming 5% annual inflation.

$5 in 1966 would be worth $34 in 2005 dollars.

I know it seems kinda counter-intuitive, how could $5 in 1956 be worth $3,000 at 14%, but only $55 at 5%. The power of compounding over 49 years is what does it!

The other point is that if you accept 5% inflation, CDs are pretty cheap today on an inflation-adjusted basis.

Edited by Eric

Pasta jumps into a time machine, heads back to 1969 or so, then goes nuts with depression when the record stores won't accept his 21st Century currency............................

You really want to set that machine for 1968. That's when all the companies dumped the mono pressings. I remember about 3 bins of mint BN monos in my store. :P

Hey, they had phoney stereo and that's what folks wanted. :beee:

Yeah, that's based on 5% annual inflation -- but have we really had an average of 5% inflation over the last 50 years??  (Maybe we have, but that seems a little high to me.  Maybe 3% or 4% tops would be my guess.)

You have to keep in mind that for awhile in the late 70s/early 80s we had wild inflation of around 16%+. That could bring the average up to 5%.

=medjuck,Oct 20 2005, 09:13 PM]

As i remember it,  when I first started buying Lps in the mid fifties  they were $3.98.  Then when stereo came in they were $3.98 mono and $4.98 stereo. That was in Canadian dollars.

You're right, but Canadian and American dollars were pretty well even back in the fifties. The exchange rate, as I recall, was negliable.

I remember spending 99 cents for '45s and anywhere from $1.98 to $5.98. I belonged to Columbia Record Club during that period, though I don't remember if the records were cheaper. I do remember that the main attraction was the initial sign-up when I received I think four or six records for 99 cents. Then the records after that were I think the going rate. Then, when I tried to quit, after the agreed to six records were ordered, they kept on sending the monthly selection, until I sent a double-registered letter.

The orginal question asked about 1967-69 prices. That period is particularly apt in my case.

In New Orleans in the 60s, when I was in high school, the list price for most LPs was $3.99 for mono and $4.99 for stereo, but only a sucker paid list price. I don't recall a store ever selling at list. They all discounted the LPs a dollar. So the going rate was $2.99 for mono and $3.99 for stereo. The cheapest store sold stereo for $3.59.

But your question asked about gatefold Verves and Impulses. They were a dollar more than most LPs. They were priced higher because of the quality of the vinyl used, according to the stickers.

Prestige was priced at the standard rate. I can't tell you about Blue Note, but I think it was the same.

However, I went to college in 1968 in Washington, DC. DC was the home of a major wholesaler, and as a result there was one less middleman. So stereo LPs went for $2.89. I was in heaven, except that I didn't have much money. My New Orleans retailer told me that $2.89 was his wholesale price!

When mono was abruptly discontinued in 1969 (I think), the ones still in stock went for $1.99 in DC, just to clear them out. I got a few of my favorite Prestiges and Riversides that way.

edit for spelling

Edited by GA Russell