Sonny Fortune - Four in One

BeBop

It is a fine document of the time but nothing like hearing him in person.

Have yet to have had the pleasure, but I do find Fortune's American albums of the last 25 or so years to be less than fully satisfying. The Strata-East & Horizon sides, otoh, still work for me unconditionally.

I agree with Chuck. The way Fortune sounded in-person in the '80s with Nat Adderley's band (Larry Willis, Walter Booker, and Jimmy Cobb) and before that with trumpeter Charles Sullivan (don't recall the rhythm section other than bassist Junie Booth) was something I've yet to hear from him on record and, as I recall, was a good deal more potent than his playing in the '70s with Tyner. Letters in flame appeared on the wall.

I love 4 in 1.  Highly recommended.

I concur that 4 in 1 is the pick of the Blue Notes. I also concur that overall, they don't catch him at his best. Contrary to previous post, I really liked his work with Tyner, especially on 'Sahara' (which belongs in every jazz collection everywhere), and also on 'Song For My Lady' (another gem). He was underutilized by Tyner on 'Song of the New World'. Wonder what 'Enlightenment' and 'Atlantis' would have sounded like with him instead of 19-year-old Azar Lawrence? They're tremendous with Lawrence. Of course, Tyner in the 70's can overwhelm any horn player. The guy that, surprisingly, really seemed to get steamrolled by Tyner was George Adams, and Gary Bartz didn't exactly stand out either. What an amazing run of recordings Tyner had on Blue Note and the early Milestones, before it got just a touch formulaic for him prior to switching to trio format to good effect.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I was cryptic before, but I wasn't sure if the info was 'official' yet, so I was holding off.

But here it goes:

Sonny Fortune purchased the masters back for his 3 Blue Note recordings, and he will be releasing them as a box apparently as early as next week. Details will eventually be on his website.

He's making his own Mosaic select, as it were!

I heard it from Sonny himself last night, so it must be happening. That's why i suggested on holding of on getting Four In One, if you want all three.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand