2005 World Series

Root for the team whose city is hosting the Katrina victims in their old stadium. Houston's been Louisiana's team for ages. Even had their triple A team in NO for a long time.

Since NO will even likely lose their Saints to San Antonio, might as well root for the Texas team, except the Dallas Cowboys.

Edited by It Should be You

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Old-school"? I had already stopped watching (prime-time/major network) tv by the time that came on.  :P

BTW, which one of those 14 cast members is Bobby Hill?  :blink:  :g

Middle row, 2nd from right. He was partnered with a guy named Renko, sort of a southern redneck type, and their dynamic was one of the interesting threads throughout the series.

"Old-school"? I had already stopped watching (prime-time/major network) tv by the time that came on.  :P

BTW, which one of those 14 cast members is Bobby Hill?  :blink:   :g

Middle row, 2nd from right. He was partnered with a guy named Renko, sort of a southern redneck type, and their dynamic was one of the interesting threads throughout the series.

Oh, the why didn't you say the token black guy! :P (Is that a photo from the first season? A few people I don't recognize)One of the best shows ever, but damn it was depressing! Watch that and St. Elsewhere, and you better stay away from sharp objects! Was Bobby Hill's name just a coincidence to the show title?

Root for the team from the "wrong" side of Chicago, with a more diverse crowd in their stands than the team on the other side, a legendary "Say it ain't so, Joe," and a manager whose religion growing up practiced animal sacrifice. :crazy:

They play good baseball too...Four consecutive complete games unheard of at this point in the season.

Edited by It Should be You

Lidge must be mentally messed up after giving up two game winning home runs in his last two appearances.

The umpire at least partially affected the outcome of the game tonight, with that terrible call on Dye. He shouldn't have been awarded 1st base. It's possible that Grand Slam never would have happened, if Dye had completed his at-bat. And maybe the Astros go on to hold onto that 4-2 lead and win the game....

Oh yeah...I saw that coming.....

Joe Buck's father saw something similar 20 years ago. "Go crazy folks!"

Some differences, but still very unlikely.

WHAT A SERIES! :party:

I'm now rooting for the Astros for the next game, maybe 2 as I don't want this one end!

Edited by Quincy

This game proves the old adage that you play for a win on the road and a tie on the home. And this isn't just a second guess. When I saw him send up Vizcaino I said to myself he's playing for a tie. Terrible job of managing. Even if they somehow had won the game, it's a very bad decision. Whether it's the World Series or an ordinary season game, you never play for a tie on the road.

The umpire at least partially affected the outcome of the game tonight, with that terrible call on Dye.  He shouldn't have been awarded 1st base.  It's possible that Grand Slam never would have happened, if Dye had completed his at-bat.  And maybe the Astros go on to hold onto that 4-2 lead and win the game....

He definitely got the call wrong, which is unfortunate, but I didn't see it as a "terrible" call. In other words, it's hard to place too much blame on an ump for a split second thing like that, where most people agree he has to rely more on his ears (with plenty of room for error) than on his eyes. At any rate, I understand where you're coming from... it's gotta be frustrating. If I was an Astros fan, I'd probably be saying the same thing.

To me, that was just a great game to watch. A few too many blunders (Biggio's drop, the Sox baserunning mistakes heading the list), but a great game nonetheless. I'm with Quincy- I hope this thing goes a full 7.

Someone on one of the postgame shows said (if I understood them correctly) that the grand slam was only the 9th in World Series history. I'm thinking either I heard wrong, or they were in error. Can that be right? Even the statement that this was only the 14th walk-off HR in a World Series seems awfully low. :unsure:

... Which brings me to a question I've always meant to ask here. Is there a good online source (hopefully, easy to use) for stats from baseball history?

... Which brings me to a question I've always meant to ask here.  Is there a good online source (hopefully, easy to use) for stats from baseball history?

Baseball-Reference dot com.

I don't think it can answer questions such as number of World Series grand slams, but it is very, very good.

Be sure to check out the Frivolities section as there is some fun & silly stuff in there. For instance now you can easily discover things such as who played for both the A's & Giants (multi-franchise player tool.)

A great time waster! :)

This game proves the old adage that you play for a win on the road and a tie on the home.  And this isn't just a second guess.  When I saw him send up Vizcaino I said to myself he's playing for a tie.  Terrible job of managing.  Even if they somehow had won the game, it's a very bad decision.  Whether it's the World Series or an ordinary season game, you never play for a tie on the road.

Brad, I know what you are saying, but I wouldn't call it terrible managing. The Astros really needed to tie the game, to hope for a 3 run homer off of Jenks is asking a bit much, they got him out of the game, which was pretty remarkable, and if Lidge hadn't given up a homer to Scott P. (O homers, 25 RBI all year long!) the Astros might have won the game...gotta tie before you win! ^_^

On the European feed, we got some great stats during game 2.

My favourite of which by a mile was that Mr Lamb was the first player in WS history to homer who shared his name with an animal. Apparently a chap called Foxx also did, but having that extra 'x' as he did...

We get hardly any baseball on TV over here, and I don't really understand the game, but still love to watch and pick up what I can. 2 questions for the benefit of a novice, then, please(!):

1) what is the 'clutch'/'clutch-hitting' etc.

2) does homefield advantage count for that much? Can we expect the Astros to comeback tonight? Will NL over AL rules favour them?

Cheers!

"Clutch hitting" refers to hitting successfully when the outcome of the game is on the line -- i.e. in the late innings, or in the final inning, where a hit will drive in the tying or (better) winning run. A so- called "walk-off" home run -- a la those of Podsednik in game two or Albert Pujols of the Cardinals in the next to last game of the NLCS would be good examples -- though Pujols' home run would perhaps be more an instance of hitting in the "clutch," for if he had failed, as I recall the situation, the game would have been over, while Podsednik was hitting with one out, and if he had made an out, the White Sox still could have prevailed -- either in that inning or in an inning to come.

About home field advantage, that depends on many factors -- the enthusiasm of one's fans, the degree to which the home park's acoustics magnify the amount of noise the fans can make and how much of an effect, if any, all that will have on the emotions of the home and visiting teams, the peculiarities of one's home park and the degree to which one is used to them and the visiting team is not (e.g. the unsual upward slope in deep center field in Houston, plus that park's quite short fence in left field, which supposedly encourages a special sort of inside-out swing on the part of left-handed batters that is designed to bloop outside pitches over that fence -- Houston's hitters presumably would be more used to doing this (if such tactics are in fact wise; they might instead just screw you up) than the White Sox hitters would. Also, there are the supposed benefits of sleeping in one's own bed in familiar surroundings rather than staying in a hotel room.

About AL versus NL rules, the only difference is that pitchers bat in the NL park and there is no designated hitter. That could have meaning in several ways (1) if some Houston pitchers are good hitters (both in general and because they're been at bat regularly during the NL season), while few if any Sox pitchers are good hitters (especially because they don't bat during the AL regular season); (2) if one's pitchers are poor hitters, one may be forced to remove from the game a pitcher who is pitching well (and substitute a pinch hitter for him) if the pitcher is coming to bat in a crucial situation; and (3) of one's designated hitter is a key part of one's offense but not a skilled defensive player, one either has to put him in the field and accept his defensive liabilities or put him on the bench. Thus, Carl Everett of the White Sox (their DH) will not be in the starting lineup, because if he were, he would have to play left field in place of Podsednik.

Furthermore, on home park advantage, the Astro's park has a retractable dome, mostly because Houston gets so hot and humid during much of the season that the dome needs to be closed and the park air-conditioned. During the season, this decision (closed versus open) is made by the Astro's management, and the rule of thumb is 80 degrees fahrenheit or higher, dome is closed. However, when the dome is closed, crowd noise is vastly magnified, which is felt to be to the Astros's advantage (and in fact, their home record this year is, I think, 40-11 with the dome closed and 16-11 with the dome open). With just such matters in mind, major league baseball itself, not each team's management, decides in the World Series (and probably in the league playoffs) whether domed stadiums cab be open or closed, with MLB's rule of thumb being that the roofs of domed stadiums must be open unless inclement weather (i.e. heavy rain, a plague of frogs or locusts) will prevent the game from being played. I wonder, though, whether MLB, not the home team's groundskeeper (as is the case, I believe, during the regular season), determines how short or how shaggy the infield grass can be, which of course can have a significant effect on the outcome if one team is more oriented toward speed or toward power hitting than the other.

Game 2 is just about to start. Like to see the Astros win their games at home, and have a 7 game series! Here's hoping, anyway!

I don't understand why MLB is forcing the Astros to open their roof tonight. It seems like keeping it closed (for noise) is part of what the home field advantage is all about. Shouldn't the Astros get to choose whether they want to open or close their own roof?

Game 2 is just about to start.  Like to see the Astros win their games at home, and have a 7 game series!  Here's hoping, anyway!

I don't understand why MLB is forcing the Astros to open their roof tonight.  It seems like keeping it closed (for noise) is part of what the home field advantage is all about.  Shouldn't the Astros get to choose whether they want to open or close their own roof?

You wish it was game 2! :P I don't get the dome thing either. Next time there is a game in the Homerdome, make the twin's fans be quiet, and no white hankies! <_<