Brubeck on Columbia / Legacy CD reissues

monkboughtlunch

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to the Japanese release of "Anything goes!" several times last weekend and was very impressed-- especially by DB's work on the title track. To me at least, he sounded positively inspired and although the rest of the album is not up to that high standard (as noted, Desmond seems a little detached from the procedings), I can't understand why Brubeck doesn't want this reissued in the US, if in fact that's the case.

Well worth the price (reasonable for a Japanese import), IMO.

Edited by Roger Hiles

Not sure if Anything Goes is one of the titles that Brubeck allegedly does not want reissued on CD.

The Sony Japanese Brubeck CDs are typically transfers from the original stereo masters.

If Sony Legacy USA ever reissues it, they will proabably remix from the 3 or 4 track multi-tracks, and add bonus tracks if they exist. Just something to keep in mind if you are on the fence. But then there is no guarantee Legacy will reissue this title in the U.S. anytime soon.

Too bad if they don't; I've been wanting this album for a long time.

There are two specific Columbia LPs that Dave Brubeck has told me that he doesn't want to see reissued:

Jackpot: Live in Las Vegas--This live date was recorded on a brand new baby grand that had problems holding its pitch in the polar air conditioning of the nightclub where it was taped.

The Last Time We Saw Paris--Brubeck won't go into details about this one, although Paul Desmond is missing from some tracks.

I have enjoyed both of these LPs.

I forgot to mention that at least one unissued Columbia session with Bill Smith remains in the vaults. It was tentatively titled "Witches' Brew" (long before Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew") but it seems unlikely to appear anytime soon.

There was also a live recording made in India, but numerous brownouts evidently made this tape unusable.

I am not clear whether this concert was recorded for Columbia, but that seems likely.

I forgot to mention that at least one unissued Columbia session with Bill Smith remains in the vaults. It was tentatively titled "Witches' Brew" (long before Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew") but it seems unlikely to appear anytime soon.

There was also a live recording made in India, but numerous brownouts evidently made this tape unusable.

I am not clear whether this concert was recorded for Columbia, but that seems likely.

Thanks for the info. I've never heard any of those lps. . . but in a way I'm glad it's these and not some others such as "Bossa Nova U. S. A." or "Angel Eyes" that Brubeck doesn't want to see reissued.

• 2 years later...

Heard Plays Bernstein and Anything Goes for the first time yesterday. Both very fine if perhaps not top shelf Brubeck. The one that's really been striking me as unfairly overlooked is Dave Digs Disney. Not what you'd think at all. Humor, sophistication, swing ... a hip set all around.

Heard Plays Bernstein and Anything Goes for the first time yesterday. Both very fine if perhaps not top shelf Brubeck. The one that's really been striking me as unfairly overlooked is Dave Digs Disney. Not what you'd think at all. Humor, sophistication, swing ... a hip set all around.

I picked up Dave Digs Disney thanks to a recommendation on this board, or maybe it was the BNB. Was not disappointed.

Edited by BruceH

Is Jazz Goes to Junior College doomed to oblivion? I've always wanted to hear it, at least once.

Japan released it on cd.

Also it was on cd in the early nineties in the US

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Goes-College-Br...t/dp/B0000026TC

Wait — I thought that old U.S. edition was Jazz Goes to College and not Jazz Goes to Junior College. Am I missing something?

The Bernstein estate is evidently holding up the reissue of the Brubeck/Bernstein collaboration.

The Bernstein estate is holding up everything. A friend of mine did not get the permission to re-score Candide from symphony to wind orchestra. Boosey & Hawkes said "Well, had Lennie lived, things would probably have been different, but..."

Edited by Daniel A