Red Trumpet R.I.P?

spinlps

I'm not a member of the Hoffman forums so I'll post here what I'd like to say over there:

Hold your horses, people! The information posted at the start of that thread refers to the individual Rick Flynn. NOT the business, Red Trumpet, LTD.

The further fact that the website continues to process orders indicates to me that the company is still in business. As has been noted, Chapter 11 is the kind that precedes a reorganization, a new business plan, and another chance. Chapter 7 calls for liquidation of assets to pay off creditors.

Now, it might make sense to keep the website operational for orders, but only if the orders are limited to what is on hand, i.e., a court-ordered attempt to sell, at near-full price, on hand stock in order to maximize funds available to creditors.

Does this mean that I'm about to order something? Hell no! But I do think people are making assumptions based on facts not yet in evidence.

Heads up to RT customers...

It sounds like RT may be no longer. While the web site is still up and apparently taking orders, the owner alledgedly filed for bankruptcy on 10/15/2005.

Caveat Emptor.

Even if that were true, you need to distinguish between Chapter 7, liquidation, and Chapter 11, reorganization.  Chapter 11 would be the most likely option.

Minor point: if RT is owned by an individual and that individual files bankruptcy, it would be under Chapter 7 or Chapter 13.

Been doing business with RT for years.  I'll miss them.

Ditto here. I got my vinyl fix through RT after my son was born in '01. I swear I had a package arriving every week for the first 2 - 3 months... nothing like 3am orders that only vaguely registered when the package arrived!

I was a solid customer until last fall when orders started taking longer to fill and a couple of family members got the run around when following up on Xmas gifts they ordered for me.

Still, I hope they reorg and return in the near future. They had some great regular sales and the pre-order pricing rocks.

While I may not be up on the most recent changes on bankruptcy law (I'm taking a refresher course next month), individuals can't file for Chapter 7. That means they go out of business. What are you going to do? Kill the person. Chapter 13 is the answer for individuals. While you're in Chapter 11, you continue to conduct business as normal and the Code's automatic stay provisions prevent lawsuits and such until you emerge from bankruptcy.

While I may not be up on the most recent changes on bankruptcy law (I'm taking a refresher course next month), individuals can't file for Chapter 7.  That means they go out of business.  What are you going to do?  Kill the person.  Chapter 13 is the answer for individuals.  While you're in Chapter 11, you continue to conduct business as normal and the Code's automatic stay provisions prevent lawsuits and such until you emerge from bankruptcy.

This is not correct. An individual indeed CAN file for Chapter 7. The changes to the bankruptcy law that went into effect on October 17 made it more difficult to do so, but it could be done, and can still be done.

An individual cannot file for Chapter 11 -- that is for businesses only.

• 4 weeks later...

Still no sign of problems on the Red Trumpet website. One would think that they lost many loyal/potential customers due to the attention their financial problems got at various Internet forums, so if efforts to keep up the business are in fact made they should have made some sort of official statement. Would anyone at all on this forum order from them at this stage?

Not until there's some notice on the website stating their current status. Rick had posted in the past on the Hoffman board and so far there's been no post from him addressing the "rumour" of Red Trumpet's problems.

One individual did have a VPI turntable on special order through RT for many weeks, called them and only got a message and then call VPI, only to be told that they were not shipping any product to RT.

So, IMHO, I'd say RT is gone, unless they respond.

Not until there's some notice on the website stating their current status. Rick had posted in the past on the Hoffman board and so far there's been no post from him addressing the "rumour" of Red Trumpet's problems.

One individual did have a VPI turntable on special order through RT for many weeks, called them and only got a message and then call VPI, only to be told that they were not shipping any product to RT.

So, IMHO, I'd say RT is gone, unless they respond.

Rick used to post here too. Say goodnight Gracie.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...