***King Crimson Corner***

Guy Berger

I've ignored those recent reissues because they just reissued everything between 1999-2001 (and they sound fine to me), and I don't have DVD-A, or any interest in watching archival videos more than once. Robert Fripp may deny being King Crimson, but he is definitely the King of Reissues.

I do have a DVD-A and was sort of an oddball in that I didn't have a bunch of the early studio albums for a long time, instead getting live releases for the improvs. (Sort of the Grateful Dead fan approach.) I had never heard Lizard until the 40th anniversary release. :) I was also naughty in the '80s and taped my friend's LPs of Beat & 3 Of A Perfect Pair. That's been a dead format around the house & I think at least one of the tapes broke 20 years ago, so the reissues should sound very fresh to my ears. And while I typically don't watch videos that end up on special reissues like this much either, I have played the video on Red 3 times since I've gotten it (I don't watch it closely, but the music is good enough to go to.) So for me the series has worked out nicely enough.

Edited by Quincy

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quincy, Aggie and anybody else who has it, how is the new Lizard holding up.

I never gave it a chance before but it seems like something I would enjoy now.

The new re-Mix of Red is brilliant.

I still like it! As stated earlier it's still a reasonably "new" album to me. I've only listened to the original mix once (I probably should revisit it) and go with the Steve Wilson mix instead. It's an odd album in a good way. :rsmile:

Quincy, Aggie and anybody else who has it, how is the new Lizard holding up.

I never gave it a chance before but it seems like something I would enjoy now.

The new re-Mix of Red is brilliant.

I still like it! As stated earlier it's still a reasonably "new" album to me. I've only listened to the original mix once (I probably should revisit it) and go with the Steve Wilson mix instead. It's an odd album in a good way. :rsmile:

'Lizard' and 'Islands' are probably my favourite KC albums. I bought 'Lizard' back in '71 and hated it at first. But over 12 months it wormed its way in and began to create a tolerance for dissonance. First place I heard Keith Tippett (apart from hearing Cat Food on the radio) who is extraordinary. The Bolero section which moves from almost 19thC Romanticism to near free playing from Tippett, Marc Charig and Nic Evans never fails to engage me. And the snake-guitar of Lament makes a wonderful near-ending (a brief circus bit follows).

It's worth listening to it just focusing on Fripp's different guitar parts - a very 'layered' album, rather than giving a sense of a live show.

May have to buy this - it's such a dense record with so much detail that it would really benefit from tlc remastering.

I like this quote about Lizard.

Steven Wilson - “I’ve always felt that if presented in the right way, I could make a case for this being the most experimental rock record ever made. It’s extraordinary what they’re doing on this album.”

Hyperbole, perhaps, but I see what he is getting at.

• 8 months later...

Strange jazz covers of our time:

The much anticipated follow-up to Kurt Elling’s Grammy-winning album Dedicated To You is now confirmed for release in the UK on 7 March, his label Concord Records has confirmed.

Produced by lauded rock producer Don Was (Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Rolling Stones) The Gate runs to nine tracks opening intriguingly with a King Crimson song ‘Matte Kudasai’ from their 1981 Discipline album.

http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/news-mainmenu-139/67-2010/11736-jazz-breaking-news-beatles-stevie-wonder-and-king-crimson-numbers-feature-on-kurt-ellings-new-album-the-gate-

The much anticipated follow-up to Kurt Elling’s Grammy-winning album Dedicated To You is now confirmed for release in the UK on 7 March, his label Concord Records has confirmed.

Produced by lauded rock producer Don Was (Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Rolling Stones) The Gate runs to nine tracks opening intriguingly with a King Crimson song ‘Matte Kudasai’ from their 1981 Discipline album.

http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/news-mainmenu-139/67-2010/11736-jazz-breaking-news-beatles-stevie-wonder-and-king-crimson-numbers-feature-on-kurt-ellings-new-album-the-gate-

Oddly, Elling's voice fits that song perfectly, I bet. I can almost hear him singing that line "she sleeps in a chair"....just seems like the kid of material he'd pick.

Oddly, Elling's voice fits that song perfectly, I bet. I can almost hear him singing that line "she sleeps in a chair"....just seems like the kid of material he'd pick.

You could well be right.

Seeing that headline made me dig out Elling's 'The Messenger' today. I had mixed feelings about Elling at the time I bought it, having an aversion to the overt jazz hipsterism that pervades some of the spoken tracks. But I really enjoyed it today.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And another off-the-boundary KC cover.

The Unthanks - the UKs most intriguing contemporary folk band - do 'Starless' on their forthcoming album, 'Last'.

Rooted in hardcore Northumbrian folk music, they've frequently jumped sideways - a great version of Robert Wyatt's 'Sea Song' a couple of albums back.

Utterly fascinated by the prospect of this strange mix.

Just heard it last night. It works and quite nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

Well apparently I saw King Crimson on 4 September 1982! I don't remember a thing about the show (alcohol was definitely a contributing factor). It was a festival in Wiesbaden called the 5th Golden Summernight Concert, which also included Jethro Tull and Neil Young.

This bugs me, because the 2011 "me" would have LOVED that show. The 1982 "me" was clueless that day and wanted to party with high school friends.

I can't find the setlist, but here's one from 8/13/82, so it was probably comparable:

1. Waiting Man

2. Thela Hun Ginjeet

3. Red

4. The Howler

5. Frame By Frame

6. Matte Kudasai

7. The Sheltering Sky

8. Discipline

9. Neal and Jack and Me

10. Neurotica

11. Elephant Talk

12. Indiscipline

Man, I'm kicking myself!

Well apparently I saw King Crimson on 4 September 1982! I don't remember a thing about the show (alcohol was definitely a contributing factor). It was a festival in Wiesbaden called the 5th Golden Summernight Concert, which also included Jethro Tull and Neil Young.

A great year for the mighty Crim. Here's what you missed:

Waiting Man (8:10)

Thela Hun Ginjeet (7:15)

Red (6:15)

Matte Kudasei (3:40)

The Sheltering Sky (8:48)

Elephant Talk (5:10)

Indiscipline (10:00)*

Lark's Tongues In Aspic Pt. II (8:20)

*looks like a tape flip during Indiscipline.

Here's the site I got the above from.

etree lists 5 traders w/ a copy. 2 say A- quality while one says C. At least a recording exists.

Oh, noticed an interesting blurb in Fripp's diary entry from 10 Feb.

He was in the studio working with Jakko Jakszyk, on a new recording with Mel Collins, Tony Levin, and Gavin Harrison.

Sounds interesting already to me, but Fripp also described it as "A Scarcity Of Miracles by JFC with L&H, a King Crimson ProjeKct."

That last part has me intrigued - maybe he's not totally given up on some future KC work?

• 4 weeks later...

Update from Steven Wilson's FB page:

"The new SW solo record is still on track for September release, and I think the next two King Crimson remixes (Larks Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black) will be out around the same time."

At least we finally know which the next titles are and when they're coming. This 40th anniversary reissue series sure is slow (but most excellent!).

Update from Steven Wilson's FB page:

"The new SW solo record is still on track for September release, and I think the next two King Crimson remixes (Larks Tongues in Aspic and Starless and Bible Black) will be out around the same time."

At least we finally know which the next titles are and when they're coming. This 40th anniversary reissue series sure is slow (but most excellent!).

Ah, so they are straying from the 40th anniversary poster. For a while it was looking like the release schedule. As long as they don't wait for the 40th anniversary of the '80s albums I'm fine with them taking their time.

Who the hell is Steven Wilson?

He's a musician and producer. He's doing alot of the remastering of the King Crimson catalog. I believe Jakko Jakszyk is doing the remainder of the titles.

Wilson is the main guy in Porcupine Tree, and has also done some solo work (under his own name, Bass Communion, and IEM), and also is a primary musician in the bands No-Man and Blackfield.

Who the hell is Steven Wilson?

He's a musician and producer. He's doing alot of the remastering of the King Crimson catalog. I believe Jakko Jakszyk is doing the remainder of the titles.

Wilson is the main guy in Porcupine Tree, and has also done some solo work (under his own name, Bass Communion, and IEM), and also is a primary musician in the bands No-Man and Blackfield.

Oh. I never figured out the fascination with Porcupine Tree, so I don't know the names. I tried listening to some of it and it didn't excite me. Same as the other newish band that Crimson had been supporting recently, Tool. Thought I'd see what all the commotion was about there, and it just seemed like a lot of recycled 70s Crimson to me, except with added creep-oid imagery or something. Like I've heard it before, but done better.

Well, I trust Fripp, at least!