New reissues series

brownie

Quite a number of interesting CD releases from the German label Membran (the label that provided us with excellent 10CD series of Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Bird, etc...) at very cheap prices)

Original longplay albums

Some rare albums (Hot vs. Cool, Cats vs. Chicks, from MGM, the Jimmy Giuffre Capitols, Herb Gellers, etc...) are in the initial batch.

No idea if these are bootlegs...

This seems to be material that is in the public domain in Europe (pre 1955). So don't expect the reissues to come from the original master tapes.

The concept seems odd, with the generic faux-authentic covers. Are these reissues of original albums of the time?

As far as cheap reissues go, I rather prefer the Definitive or Proper approach of putting as much music on the CD as possible.

222970_front.jpg

222970_back.jpg

This seems to be material that is in the public domain in Europe (pre 1955). So don't expect the reissues to come from the original master tapes. says Claude...

It looks to me like Membran waits until EMI or Columbia or Mosaic releases well-done discs from masters, then simply uses that material to issue their discs. I didn't check each of their releases, but a cursory glance makes me think it has all been on CD before.

Lone Hill, Definitive--all of them--do the same thing. 100% per cent legal there (if perhaps morally vague), but I've always been surprised that they can sell that "rip-off" material in the US (and Canada), where it wouldn't be allowed.

Well, I suspect we are heading for a showdown between the corporations who so often get their way in the US and get indefinitely and infinitely retroactively extensions of copyright and the consumers who see that the Europeans are getting a "better deal." So far the detente seems to be a lot of studiously ignoring how much European product is imported into the U.S. Watch the sparks fly when the Beatles catalog starts coming into European PD.

Watch the sparks fly when the Beatles catalog starts coming into European PD.

In fact, there will be some really interesting things before that. Elvis Sun recordings are now, the early RCA's start next year, as does Buddy Holly. There's a lot of great Chess records stuff now, there will start being a lot of Phil Spector in five years, etc. The Bear Family complete boxes will be fair game in Europe, etc.

[it looks to me like Membran waits until EMI or Columbia or Mosaic releases well-done discs from masters, then simply uses that material to issue their discs. I didn't check each of their releases, but a cursory glance makes me think it has all been on CD before.

I don't think the MGM 'Hot vs. Cool' and 'Cats vs. Chicks' has been reissued in full since their original vinyl releases.

It looks to me like Membran waits until EMI or Columbia or Mosaic releases well-done discs from masters, then simply uses that material to issue their discs. I didn't check each of their releases, but a cursory glance makes me think it has all been on CD before.

Lone Hill, Definitive--all of them--do the same thing. 100% per cent legal there (if perhaps morally vague), but I've always been surprised that they can sell that "rip-off" material in the US (and Canada), where it wouldn't be allowed.

The strange thing with this Membran series is that they reissue original albums, but without the original covers and liner notes. The reason is that the copyright on the cover artwork and texts is still in force, as it expires 70 years after the death of the creator/author.

(The compositions on the discs are also protected until 70 years after the death of the composer (and the composer is entitled to getting royalties though the national collecting societies), but the performance recording itself is protected by neighbouring rights, which last 50 years from the date of recording)

Edited by Claude

I know the Elvis and Sun Studios material is already coming out in the EU. I meant that UK companies were going to start losing some of their best material into PD and are freaking out about it and starting to press for changes in the law, though I don't think they will get it, unless the powers that be decide to slip in into some obscure WTO ruling (quite likely unfortunately).

though I don't think they will get it, unless the powers that be decide to slip in into some obscure WTO ruling (quite likely unfortunately).

A WTO ruling making copyright protection extension necessary in Europe? Do you have more details about that?

(Art. 14.5 of the TRIPs agreement only sets a minimum of 50 years: http://www.wto.org/english/docs_e/legal_e/...ips_04_e.htm#1)

though I don't think they will get it, unless the powers that be decide to slip in into some obscure WTO ruling (quite likely unfortunately).

A WTO ruling making copyright protection extension necessary in Europe? Do you have more details about that?

(Art. 14.5 of the TRIPs agreement only sets a minimum of 50 years: http://www.wto.org/english/docs_e/legal_e/...ips_04_e.htm#1)

No I don't have any insight into it. I just think that the EU will bow to pressure from its domestic record labels and find some undemocratic way of changing copyright law, then blame the WTO.

The DeFranco-Peterson Quartet album has also never been reissued on CD (and it is a very good album) .. there was a very good remastered Japanese LP several years ago .. long unavailable .. I am not sure that the Herb Geller Sextet has previously made it to CD either, although the Quartet album has (I am looking at it now) and is also available on the Verve Vaults list.

Is there a U.S. source for these? .. strictly for car play, of course .... :w

quote name='brownie' date='Dec 27 2005, 02:43 AM' post='453194']

[it looks to me like Membran waits until EMI or Columbia or Mosaic releases well-done discs from masters, then simply uses that material to issue their discs. I didn't check each of their releases, but a cursory glance makes me think it has all been on CD before.

I don't think the MGM 'Hot vs. Cool' and 'Cats vs. Chicks' has been reissued in full since their original vinyl releases.

Got a first taste from the new series, #13 (Wardell Gray & Dexter Gordon). That's the one which also has quartet tracks from 1953 by Tony Scott.

The CD is a copy from the Japanese vinyl MCA album 'The Chase and Steeplechase' which also had the same Gray&Gordon plus Tony Scott configuration. The album notes carry a color image of the MCA cover plus the back notes, in Japanese!

Sound is not bad at all and was obviously lifted from a good copy of this vinyl.

Edited by brownie

Hi

I have just received from Germany 3 cds (Membran)

Jimmy Giuffre (the first Capitol)

Jimmy Giuffre : tangents in jazz (Capitol)

herb Geller : The Gellers (Emarcy)

6€99 each one ! ( 3€ for shipping from germany to France)

This is a digipack with cd (looks like a lp), a booklet with photo, original front and back covers, original liner notes and new notes (in Deutsh, Spanish, English and French). The design is good. And for the price, this is a very good affair, and the music is superb and the sound is good, too.

Only, the translation in French is so so .

Recommended

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

The Membrans are beginning to show up on the Tower and Amazon web sites. Also eBay.

I ordered some Chet Bakers and Gerry Mulligan out of curiosity.

Was reading some reviews by a group called Octobop and ordered Night Lights.

The Gerry Mulligan Mosaic Select sounds interesting...good thing I live 6 miles from Mosaic and can do a 'drive by' UPS costs are too high. Mulligan sound clips were great.

Hi

This is a digipack with cd (looks like a lp), a booklet with photo, original front and back covers, original liner notes and new notes (in Deutsh, Spanish, English and French). The design is good. And for the price, this is a very good affair, and the music is superb and the sound is good, too.

Recommended

Regards

I've had two of them on order for about a week:

Jimmy Giuffre - Tangents

Gerry Mulligan - Presenting the Gerry Mulliagn Sextet

so it's good to hear that they sound good. A poor French translation is no problem to me!

They don't seem to be available on any websites in the UK yet. When I contacted Membran I was told that they were not going to be available and to order them direct from one of the German on-line retailers shown on their website. However when I saw them on the musicexpress.com site I decided to order them there since I have used that site in the past.

Hi

Recommended

Regards

I've had two of them on order for about a week:

Jimmy Giuffre - Tangents

Gerry Mulligan - Presenting the Gerry Mulliagn Sextet

so it's good to hear that they sound good. A poor French translation is no problem to me!

They don't seem to be available on any websites in the UK yet. When I contacted Membran I was told that they were not going to be available and to order them direct from one of the German on-line retailers shown on their website. However when I saw them on the musicexpress.com site I decided to order them there since I have used that site in the past.

The two CDs arrived this morning. The sound is excellent as is the packaging. A decent tracklisting & liner notes plus a facsimile of the original LPs. For $23.55 including shipping - that's about £13.50 in real money! - they really are good value.

Several of those Membran reissues were available at one of the FNAC store this week. They were priced at something like €6 (around $7).

Got one of the Herb Geller 'The Gellers', an old favorite. The source for this release has got to be the excellent and legitimate vinyl reissue that came out in 1985 as part of the Mercury Jazz VSOP series in Japan.

Indicated length for most tracks is inaccurate. Also, if you program the final track (Suppertime), this starts near the end of the next to last one (Bewitched). Odd!

The sound is very good.

Lorraine Geller shines throughout the session. What a loss!