Jazz CD stores in London & Amsterdam.

Bol

I will be in London and surrounding areas early in the new year, and I may also go to Amsterdam. Could people recommend good used and new jazz CD stores in those 2 cities? For Amsterdam, I am particularly eager to pick up some hard-to-find Dutch jazz recordings. Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Bol

As for easy to find stores in London, there's an enormous HMV with a decent jazz section just off Oxford Circus. And on Piccadilly Circus, in the place where Tower used to be, there's now a Virgin Megastore, with a very very large selection - and occasionally, some good deals. Unfortunately, if you're used to US prices, I fear you'll have to swallow hard to buy over here...

I'm afraid I don't know about Amsterdam. But I guess a field trip to research the issue wouldn't hurt :cool:

Unfortunately, if you're used to US prices, I fear you'll have to swallow hard to buy over here...

This is very true. I find it a sad, sad state of affairs that when buying CDs from Amazon.co.uk or wherever, 9 times of 10 it is cheaper to import CDs from the US, even with the shipping, than to buy locally (thanks Caiman). The trick is to make sure the order is just below the price where customs kicks in - around 20 pounds I think.

For the life of me, I can't really understand why. VAT isn't the only reason, since the prices in France, Germany, etc. are much closer in line with US prices. My completely unscientific/uneconomic belief is that record companies price things in units. They figure people will pay in the 12-20 unit range for CDs and 20-30 unit for most standard DVDs. Of course, they always try to push the envelope. Unfortunately, UK consumers get screwed in this way, since 1 pound is worth considerably more than 1 dollar or 1 Euro. It wouldn't matter if salaries were commensurate, but in fact a salary of 30K pounds is middle class salary, so the salaries themselves appear to internalize the idea that a pound is about two dollars. Again, I don't know what would happen on a macroeconomic scale if the UK were to adopt the Euro, but in the medium term, I think consumers would benefit.

No question this is starting to sour me on the UK.

Unfortunately, UK consumers get screwed in this way, since 1 pound is worth considerably more than 1 dollar or 1 Euro. It wouldn't matter if salaries were commensurate, but in fact a salary of 30K pounds is middle class salary, so the salaries themselves appear to internalize the idea that a pound is about two dollars. Again, I don't know what would happen on a macroeconomic scale if the UK were to adopt the Euro, but in the medium term, I think consumers would benefit.

Today's exchange rates (approximately):

£1 = $1.71

£1 = €1.49

€1 = $1.18

€1 = £0.69

$1 = £0.58

$1 = €0.85

I think to be "fairly priced," CDs priced in pounds should be in the 5-10 pound range, but that's not the case at all. Retail CDs, not the on-line store prices, are nearly all 12-17 (or more) pounds. I just don't see how kids here buy music, since their allowances are probably not twice what US allowances are.

If you can find one in London, you might try going into Fopp, which has a fair number of jazz CDs for 5 pounds. I like it much better than Virgin, though the selection is fairly limited.

If you can find one in London, you might try going into Fopp, which has a fair number of jazz CDs for 5 pounds. I like it much better than Virgin, though the selection is fairly limited.

Fopp is a great little shop (it's on Shaftesbury Avenue near Cambridge Circus) but as you say the selection is fairly limited and is often hit and miss as to what they have in stock.

To be honest Bol I think that you will be a bit disappointed. Apart from the HMV and Virgin shops already mentioned there isn't a great deal of choice. There is Ray's Jazz shop, which is part of Foyles book shop on Charing Cross Road but it isn't exactly massive. There are a variety of second hand shops but unfortunately none that spring to mind as being particularly good for jazz. I can give you more details if you would like.

And there is also the aforementioned pricing issue. I went into HMV on Wednesday with vouchers in hand to spend in their sale and came out completely empty handed. There seems to be nothing in the sale that wasn't in it before Christmas. So whilst I would have said that your timing would have been good, unfortunately I don't think that this will turn out to be the case.

Can't help you with Amsterdam I'm afraid.

Hope you enjoy your trip anyway :D

Yes, there's not much in London, especially if you're used to the selection and prices I've seen here in NYC and Boston, for instance.

The one store I remember being happy with in Amsterdam is Concerto. They have both new and used and a decent (though understand I mean decent for an independent - non megastore - type store) classical and jazz section - and though you would still find prices to be high, they regularly have sales on recent classical releases and you can readily find a fair bit of music by the many very able musicians associated with the Dutch scene. They should be on Utrechtsestraat 54-60.

Yes, there's not much in London, especially if you're used to the selection and prices I've seen here in NYC and Boston, for instance.

Whilst I stand by what I said about London I'm not sure I'd agree that it suffers in comparison with Boston. I'm sure it does with regards to price but I'd have said that the selection was as good, if not better due to the larger number of outlets.

Unless of course I was looking in the wrong places when I was in Boston :(

Whilst I stand by what I said about London I'm not sure I'd agree that it suffers in comparison with Boston. I'm sure it does with regards to price but I'd have said that the selection was as good, if not better due to the larger number of outlets.

I meant to say, though didn't of course, with regards to second-hand discs, at least in Boston (and then, you get to buy more, of course, what with the ridiculously high prices in London - and around Europe, more generally). But in general, I'd much rather go to NYC than London if I were shopping for either classical or jazz cd's.

'Honest Jons' used to operate on the High Street in Camden Town, just by Camden Market but they are now long gone from there. The basement of that place was just busting to the seams with great LPs (including Japanese King imports) when I was a poor student living literally round the corner (sort of 'Withnail and I'). The same store was until about a year ago also operating as a (primarily R&B) vinyl and CD outlet, with a bit of nice jazz but was literally on the point of closing up when I was last in there. Managed to pick up a vinyl Sonny Fortune A&M Horizon though.

I meant to say, though didn't of course, with regards to second-hand discs, at least in Boston (and then, you get to buy more, of course, what with the ridiculously high prices in London - and around Europe, more generally). But in general, I'd much rather go to NYC than London if I were shopping for either classical or jazz cd's.

Yeah unfortunately there isn't a great second hand market for jazz in London (but I suppose that's what ebay is for :) ).

I've only been to New York once and that was before my "conversion" to jazz but can well believe that it is much better. Am hoping to go at some point this year!

'Honest Jons' used to operate on the High Street in Camden Town, just by Camden Market but they are now long gone from there. The basement of that place was just busting to the seams with great LPs (including Japanese King imports) when I was a poor student living literally round the corner (sort of 'Withnail and I'). The same store was until about a year ago also operating as a (primarily R&B) vinyl and CD outlet, with a bit of nice jazz but was literally on the point of closing up when I was last in there. Managed to pick up a vinyl Sonny Fortune A&M Horizon though.

That was the place. There was another place round the corner, too, but smaller.

MG

Hello Bol

I'm afraid I can only agree to what's been said about London. If the January sales are not over while you're here, HMV and Virgin may be worth a try (although even sales are not what they used to be).

I think Honest John is now on the Portobello Road (?) not very far from the Music & Video Exchange shops by the Notting Hill Gate tube station.

F

Hello Bol

I'm afraid I can only agree to what's been said about London. If the January sales are not over while you're here, HMV and Virgin may be worth a try (although even sales are not what they used to be).

I think Honest John is now on the Portobello Road (?) not very far from the Music & Video Exchange shops by the Notting Hill Gate tube station.

F

Yes, Honest Jon's has operated for many years from the Portabello Road location and they have also issued some good Ska music compilations on their own label as well. Haven't been in for quite a while but I heard that the jazz section had shrunk somewhat in size (used to be in the basement) so doesn't sound to good. Anyone been there of late?

Just down the road from Honest Jon's in Portabello is Intoxica, outlet for the world's most expensive Blue Note and rare British Jazz vinyl ( <_< ).

For Amsterdam, I am particularly eager to pick up some hard-to-find Dutch jazz recordings. Many thanks in advance.

Bol, have not been to Amsterdam in a long time. But I can recommend one store 'Record Palace'. It's located at Weteringschans 33 in central Amsterdam. It's opposite Paradiso!

Phone is (020) 6223904.

People from the store have come to Paris off and on for record conventions and I have purchased from them.

They have pretty reasonable prices and have quite a number of Dutch jazz albums.

For Amsterdam, I am particularly eager to pick up some hard-to-find Dutch jazz recordings. Many thanks in advance.

Bol, have not been to Amsterdam in a long time. But I can recommend one store 'Record Palace'. It's located at Weteringschans 33 in central Amsterdam. It's opposite Paradiso!

Phone is (020) 6223904.

People from the store have come to Paris off and on for record conventions and I have purchased from them.

They have pretty reasonable prices and have quite a number of Dutch jazz albums.

Their international number is +31206223904, from the U.K. it's 0031206223904.

Edited by J.A.W.