David Axelrod

ghost of miles

I suspect that Axelrod was hesitant about the subject matter. Just a hunch.

But I also dig the music on both of those. Rick Holmes, however...

Jim, you'd probably enjoy the continuation of that conversation:

Interviewer: You didn't have a problem with the astrology record?

DA: No, astrology was fine, and Rick Holmes was really into astrology. Then we gotta do a follow-up, because the first one was a smash hit. That thing was, like, the number one R & B record in the fucking country. I had to be a little careful with Holmes, because he was a big jazz disc jockey at KCBA, so, you know, that was the big jazz station, and what could you do? So I actually recorded him in mono, because he was stepping on the solos. I told him a hundred times, "Don't talk during the solos." It's like he didn't hear me.

:lol:

• 3 months later...

Picked up a copy of Wax Poetics #14 (truly great mag for those interested in hiphop/funk/soul jazz, etc.) and read Part 1 of the Axelrod interview. Evidently Axelrod broke into the music biz partly by working as a drummer in Gerald Wiggins' 1950s trio, and he also gigged w/Dodo Marmarosa. Relevant quote:

I played with Gerald Wiggins in clubs. I played a lot for Gerald, and I played for Dodo Marmarosa. He was a very legendary dude, 'cause he's so mysterious. Hardly anyone knows who he is, but he could really play. He called Wig and said, "I need a drummer." And Gerald said, "I got a kid who can play for ya, but he's by far not the best drummer you ever heard. But he'll keep time."

Another quote about Phil Spector's "wall of sound":

Interviewer: So you're saying that the arranger should have gotten credit for developing the Wall of Sound?

Axelrod: I always thought the engineer at Gold Star should have gotten about half the credit for that. He had a studio that would hold 14 people, and in walks Spector with twenty people. You have to give credit to the engineer to make it possible to hear anything. And still have room to record the singers. He probably called Spector a fucking idiot.

Interviewer: We can't print that, can we?

Axelrod: Why not? Is he paying your salary? Fuck him.

The article also cites Songs of Innocence as an influence on Miles and Bitches Brew.

• 4 years later...

So Ghost, have you explored more of Axelrod's music since this thread was started?

I LOVE Axelrod's Capitol albums - They are a tripped-out, cinematic montage of everything that was weird and wonderful about the early 70s. And they have that green Capitol label with the purple logo that always looks so badass spinning on the turntable - especially if there is flokati rug in the room.

• 11 years later...