Bob Weinstock dies

I think that the Japanese should honor his memory by releasing a nice little commemorative mini-lp box set containing these five Prestige LPs.

Now we're talking!!! All 5 due out this week! Not the mini-lps I was hoping for.... but something's better than nothing! :tup

http://www.hmv.co.jp/search/index.asp?artist=Chet+Baker

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that I'm a little late with this, but I assume that most of you don't know what Bob Weinstock looked like. Here is a photo of him with Oliver Nelson:

BobWeinstockandOliverNelson.jpg

He went to the same school as me!

Thanks for that Chris - and to Chuck, too - I'd never seen a photo of him either, I think.

MG

PS - Chris, was it a coincidence that they were in front of two of Oliver's albums on the wall, or did those sleeves get rearranged for whatever photocall was on?

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Geez, did guys back then used to routinely wear jackets & ties every time they left the house? I mean, you see pictures of cats from back then barfing at 3 AM and they're wearing jackets & ties. What a not wonderful world.

Certainly did in Britain, Jim, if they worked in anything other than a factory environment. In 1960 I started work in the Cooks travel bureau at Harrods and we had to wear suits (even though I was in the back office). On Saturday mornings, sports clothes were permitted - that meant a tweed jacket and grey trousers, but still a tie.

More relaxed views came in with the flower power bunch - so that's one thing we do owe them.

MG

PS of course, when we went out to the clubs in the evening, we didn't wear jackets & ties :) (Except my mate PierGiorgio, but he was Italian.)

My first visit to Harrods was with my mother in 1946, to buy my school tie, blazer, and gray flannel trousers.

Guess that's way before your time there, MG :)

Yes - I was there in 1960.

MG

Hey! I didn't know you went to school in London...

Geez, did guys back then used to routinely wear jackets & ties every time they left the house? I mean, you see pictures of cats from back then barfing at 3 AM and they're wearing jackets & ties. What a not wonderful world.

It was a different world. :rfr