Jazz Musicians We Hate

AllenLowe

Guest akanalog

i would say rather than hate, there are a lot of musicians i think come from a perspective i do not find particularly valid or interesting as far as i am concerned and listening to them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I agree with you - the personal attack stuff is bad - and some people don't seem to be able to take disagreement without getting into that - my point in this thread is that one man's negativity is another's honest opinion - and Marcello, who has been annoyed with me in the past for disagreeing with some generally held opinions, felt the need here to insult some dead friends of mine - so none of us (including myself) should feel too virtuous about our knee-jerk responses to things (and people) we disagree with -

Hmmm, I was kind of excited about this post until I realized no one was playing along. So I think the best thing for me to do is just walk away and not express my opinion.....

fuck....

Allright here's a few, although hate is an emotion that just doesn't fit, these are some musical people and places I don't quite connect to:

I love Christian McBride when he plays straight ahead, I really couldn't be less interested in his fusion stuff. God Bless him for doing what he loves, I just don't connect to it.

I don't always connect to the Joe Henderson records starting with about Mode for Joe.

It took me a while to realize that I like Wayne Shorter, which I do now, but I have trouble distinguishing between a lot of his records.

I can't bring myself to like Charlie Haden and I know I'm supposed to. I know people who are way into him.

I recognize how increadibly important Charlie Parker was to the development of the music I love and I like a lot of his compositions, but I don't really enjoy listenning to his records that much. I would love to have seen him play live, it probably would have blown me away.

Miles Davis jumped the shark for me somewhere in the late 60's.

I'm not a big fan of Oscar Peterson, which is unfortunate because I love Ray Brown.

Wilber Ware. Sorry, I know that a lot of people consider him great.

Here's the bombshell....Bill Evans. Sorry. I know he can play. I understand that he played the music that was in his head and did it beautifully, I just don't connect with it. He reminds me of everyone I know who grew up taking piano lessons and studying classically, then decided to play some jazz because they wanted to be hip. Give me Wynton Kelly or Sonny Clark any day.

I'm sure everyone's momma is a lovely person.

Peace,

aw c'mon, how about Kenny G?

I keep on telling you guys , Haas, Skerik, and Dillon have this dire situation well under control.

No reason to call 911 anymore .... nor rip off all your clothes jump out of your car and contort yourself into delerium tremors in the midst of rush-hour traffic.

http://www.thedeadkennygs.com/

tour in progress ... Bay Area soon :

Feb 16 Santa Cruz

Feb 17,18 SF

At last, an application to very good purpose for old useless delapidated soprano saxes.

Edited by johnagrandy